Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #1  
    With each new day, hope springs anew! With a night to sleep on it, I actually think yesterday's events are the best thing that could have happened to WebOS. I know many around here were desperately trying to be optimistic about where WebOS was heading, but with each passing day it became clear that there wasn't a commitment to getting WebOS devices out the door. Further, there wasn't a commitment to starting fresh with WebOS. What devices did we get? A Pre++, a mini Pre and we were promised a giant Pre. The tablet was the only novel device and it was treated with little more than total disregard by the very company that produced it.

Yes, as painful and aggravating as yesterday's announcement was, WebOS needs a TOTALLY new start, and this is really the only way to get it. Fortunately, I don't think the OS itself needs that much work. The only things WebOS is lacking right now are:

1. Apps (yes, this is the single most key issue. it's simply impossible for a mobile OS to make a dent in today's market without apps to back it up)

2. Good and original hardware (i love the WebOS-based phones i've had so far. but, let's face it, most people didn't. WebOS has to break away from any previous hardware associations in the minds of the consumer. we need well-built hardware and multiple form factors.)

If there is some company out there that thinks they can deliver on these 2 issues, then I still believe WebOS can have a future. Whether or not anyone is willing to take that risk remains to be seen.

Disclaimer: I've taken great pains to avoid mentioning any company names, any actual device names, and any specific references to things which transpired yesterday. This thread is 100% about WebOS and WebOS only. As such, I believe is placement in "WebOS Discussion" is appropriate.
    IF HP actually licences webOS AND manufacturers like HTC and Samsung license it AND they release phones that are comparable to current Android generation quickly enough - then it might be a good thing. But as has been said elsewhere here, who would want to license an OS that has been publicly abandoned in such a degrading way due to lack of profitability? I don't see it coming, but that would be the best case IMO.

Probably someone buys it for the IP and the IP only and that's the end of it but we'll see "in the coming months".
    WebOS is finished. No app developer is going to devote further resources to this platform given HP's decision not to produce or sell any more devices using this OS.

WebOS is as dead as PalmOS was the day WebOS was announced.
    DrewT3 likes this.
    they should have been selling licenses from day ONE.. They should have had a killer device with commercials with explosions robots and monsters taking over the world.... oh well... might as well as had the borg lady showing off webos again
  5.    #5  
    I do agree, the outlook is very bleak. However, if WebOS is ever going to make an impact, I believe this is the only route possible. The previous companies either didn't have the resources or didn't have the commitment. If nothing changed, it was a guarantee to be a dead OS. It's more than likely a dead OS now, but there's at least a very faint glimmer of a chance that someone could pick it up and do something good with it.

P.S. Please refrain from mentioning any companies by name. I would like this thread to stay in WebOS discussion and it seems people are just itching to move threads around.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    With a night to sleep on it, I actually think yesterday's events are the best thing that could have happened to WebOS.
    Four more nights and you should be fine. Tomorrow will be tough.

1. Denial and Isolation. <- You are here
    2. Anger.
    3. Bargaining.
    4. Depression.
    5. Acceptance.

Some Amiga folks never made it all the way through, and that's the real risk.
    spud101, Lukeda, Loiter and 9 others like this.
    After a lot of though this morning, I think I will keep using my Pre 2 for now. There is just no other phone/OS that wows me. Unfortunately, webOS as a hole has treated us so badly, with delays and such, that I don't care who makes the next model, I won't buy another webOS device unless it sees great sales numbers and developer support. Mainly developer support. If I start seeing in commercials, "available on iPhone and webOS", that's when I buy into it again.

Tonight I'm boxing up that new HP Printer I bought with goal of printing from my TouchPad. My 30 day return window ends on the 23rd. Putting the Brothers printer back to good use. I just wish I wasn't out of my return window on the TouchPads
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    The only way WebOS would have any future at this point is for HP to hand it over to the open source community. It might have a shot then as an independent OS that you could install for free on whatever device you choose. I've been a hard core fan of WebOS since it came out... but the cold reality is that it just can't survive this latest blow, imho.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    After a lot of though this morning, I think I will keep using my Pre 2 for now. There is just no other phone/OS that wows me. Unfortunately, webOS as a hole has treated us so badly, with delays and such, that I don't care who makes the next model, I won't buy another webOS device unless it sees great sales numbers and developer support. Mainly developer support. If I start seeing in commercials, "available on and webOS", that's when I buy into it again.

Tonight I'm boxing up that new HP Printer I bought with goal of printing from my TouchPad. My 30 day return window ends on the 23rd. Putting the Brothers printer back to good use. I just wish I wasn't out of my return window on the TouchPads
    Early last month I bought a new HP printer for much the same reasons. This was my first purchase of anything HP in years. I wish I could return it and go back to Epson.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    With each new day, hope springs anew! With a night to sleep on it, I actually think yesterday's events are the best thing that could have happened to WebOS. I know many around here were desperately trying to be optimistic about where WebOS was heading, but with each passing day it became clear that there wasn't a commitment to getting WebOS devices out the door. Further, there wasn't a commitment to starting fresh with WebOS. What devices did we get? A Pre++, a mini Pre and we were promised a giant Pre. The tablet was the only novel device and it was treated with little more than total disregard by the very company that produced it.

Yes, as painful and aggravating as yesterday's announcement was, WebOS needs a TOTALLY new start, and this is really the only way to get it. Fortunately, I don't think the OS itself needs that much work. The only things WebOS is lacking right now are:

1. Apps (yes, this is the single most key issue. it's simply impossible for a mobile OS to make a dent in today's market without apps to back it up)

2. Good and original hardware (i love the WebOS-based phones i've had so far. but, let's face it, most people didn't. WebOS has to break away from any previous hardware associations in the minds of the consumer. we need well-built hardware and multiple form factors.)

If there is some company out there that thinks they can deliver on these 2 issues, then I still believe WebOS can have a future. Whether or not anyone is willing to take that risk remains to be seen.

Disclaimer: I've taken great pains to avoid mentioning any company names, any actual device names, and any specific references to things which transpired yesterday. This thread is 100% about WebOS and WebOS only. As such, I believe is placement in "WebOS Discussion" is appropriate.
    You're delusional, as always with your posts.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I think I'll go outside and smell the flowers, listen to the birds, swim in the stream, feel the sun on my face, thank my Maker for all he's given me, and taken away. webOS and thinking about webOS has absorbed too much of my thinking hours in these last couple of years, it should have been a much less significant focus in my life. Now, it has been removed from my world. I'm...kind of...relieved! I don't think any other OS will become so important to me again...I'm glad, I have a better chance now at being significant, being useful and helpful to my fellow man, woman, child, and dog (you can throw your favorite animal in there if you like). I think I'll spend some time building relationships instead of worrying about the insignificant comings and goings of some silly operating system.

I hope there's pudding.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

ADGrant and stephndudb like this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You're delusional, as always with your posts.
    Thank you for your insight.

I'm not always delusional, however. Just in the past couple of days I have posted wishing for a patch to change the color of my carrier string and time/date and someone obliged that very day. Yesterday, I reached out for help in changing my boot logo and got a near instant response. Sometimes delusional? Sure. Always? No.
    I think the worst thing is, I have to stare at an HP logo all day at work. Wish we had gone with a different PC manufacturer. HP has made me sick of them. No more will I green light friends who want an HP computer and ask me if the system looks OK, I will steer them away to another manufacturer.
    vza33 likes this.
    I think the worst thing is, I have to stare at an HP logo all day at work. Wish we had gone with a different PC manufacturer. HP has made me sick of them. No more will I green light friends who want an HP computer and ask me if the system looks OK, I will steer them away to another manufacturer.
    See, they are one step ahead of you. They are dumping their systems division.

It's all about the cloud now, son.
    HP will never make webOS open source. Palm has much more value than what HP paid for. They will sell it to who ever interested on Palm, webOS. Unfortunately if it's not Samsung or HTC, it will be end up on the hand of Google or Apple or Microsoft. They will just get it for the patents. No more webOS device in the future if that happen.
    Guess I'm a little luckier than you. We use HP PCs, so my keyboard says that, but we have Dell monitors. :P
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Still in shock
    Sadly, I don't think HP will be able to license WebOS and keep it alive.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I'm sure there are plans somewhere to give Amiga one more chance. Just let the people see a computer with coprocessors! Who needs a Radeon card when you could be rocking a blitter. And Ultra-HAM mode will finally show itself as superior to 32 bit color.
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    Still in shock
    "Turn off the windshield wipers, they don't work, they're just making it worse..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast