Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By beerdini
  • 1 Post By eovnu87435ds
  • 1 Post By etx
  • 1 Post By discord
  • 1 Post By milominderbinde
  1.    #1  
    Probably like a lot of other folks out here on PreCentral I had to have a few drinks after hearing HP's announcement yesterday. I can't say that I'm surprised about their actions, more so surprised about how cold they seemed to turn on Palm and blame them for all of their problems.

Anyway, for a couple of weeks now I've been thinking that this was probably HP's plan from the beginning when Mark Hurd was still there. After Palm's acquisition, Hurd made the statement that Palm wasn't purchased for their smartphones. After the community's reaction to that statement there was a bit of a retraction and the statement was downplayed as a gaffe.

I thought that chances were that HP would decide to license WebOS to smartphone manufacturers and keep their tablets to themselves. The smartphone world moves much quicker than PC or tablets which is why the Pre3 which would have been upper line if it was released in Feb. when it was announced would be bottom of the barrel today.

I really hope that they can come up with a licensing deal with one or more cell manufacturer. The way that the discontinuation was presented seemed to discourage any possible suitor from wanting to use it. I hope that I'm wrong.

"If" WebOS were to be licensed by one or more manufacturer and the manufacturer actually cared about making devices, maybe we'd start to see some apps out of exclusivity deals...and I wouldn't have a problem with that, look at Android. There may be a Netflix app but it is only certified to run on certain devices. It wasn't until their community figured out how to remove a hardware restriction and side load it did it really become available to most of their devices. Maybe fragmentation and competition within WebOS would help it.

I'm trying to be optimistic and don't want to see WebOS ride off into the sunset, but I do hear that nagging voice saying I'm stupid for wanting that too. I love my Touchpad, if Pre3 comes to US market I still want one so I can sync with the TP. If HP does decide to completely kill off WebOS, I would be upset, have a few drinks about it, but would move on. But if that were to happen I do hope that someone within HP who understands how great WebOS is and is as passionate about it as the developer community is will either fight to get it open sourced instead of killed off, or leak the code to the public.

Sorry to ramble, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents to anyone who cares to read it and unlike most of my offline friends, actually knows and also cares about the topic I'm spouting off about.
    jeffmcc likes this.
    I have to agree with you there. But if there is one thing HP does know, is that the PC community(including WebOS-Internals) won't drop support for the platform until HP borks it by shutting down their synergy servers. What I am hoping for is that HP will appease the homebrew community one last time by open-sourcing WebOS code. Such a thing would allow it to grow as fast as Android does, it would allow us to run it on different devices, and it will allow for faster OTA updates and faster bugfixes.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am actually kind of excited about the future of WebOS now, more than ever before
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
    jeffmcc likes this.
    I think open sourcing WebOS is the best, and only answer.
    jeffmcc likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    I think open sourcing WebOS is the best, and only answer.
    it will never happen. HP only see the dollar sign. I also think HP will have hard time selling license deal. webOS, Palm, has more value with their patents than webOS I think. I am just afraid that it will end up with Google, Apple or Microsoft. And we won't see another webOS device in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    it will never happen. HP only see the dollar sign. I also think HP will have hard time selling license deal. webOS, Palm, has more value with their patents than webOS I think. I am just afraid that it will end up with Google, Apple or Microsoft. And we won't see another webOS device in the future.
    I would agree. The man informed his mid level execs to start polishing their Linked In accounts through a shareholder conf call… …do you really think he’ll open source IP that he just paid over a billion for a year earlier out of the goodness of his heart?

More practically though, WebOS still has some value to them in the form of completely business related activities. They are just dumping all the consumer level stuff (the stuff people around here care about.) That doesn’t mean they are dumping WebOS.

-Suntan
    I would like a suitable company to just outright buy it, nourish it, grow with it, and see big time success. I don't want anything to do with HP now. Can't trust them.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I would like a suitable company to just outright buy it. I don't want anything to do with HP now. Can't trust them.
    Yeah, i really hope it's Samsung. Let's them dump their Bada OS and start putting webOS on their awesome phone like Galaxy S2 line. However, like I said, if google, apple or microsoft buys it, it's the end of webOS. And HP doesn't care if the buyer's intention to keep the webOS or not. If HP sees the higher $, they will sell it to who ever out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Yeah, i really hope it's Samsung. Let's them dump their Bada OS and start putting webOS on their awesome phone like Galaxy S2 line. However, like I said, if google, apple or microsoft buys it, it's the end of webOS. And HP doesn't care if the buyer's intention to keep the webOS or not. If HP sees the higher $, they will sell it to who ever out there.
    As much as I love Samsung phones, I don't know if I could trust them to run it right... HP's handling of webOS is just beyond words but I'm not sure how much of the whole Korean cutsie pop culture, yet a stern, stoic business culture and the way they run companies being injected into webOS.... I just don't think they'll leave webOS as vanilla OS which would be my hope. Given a choice of HTC or Samsung, I'm all for Sammy however.

This coming from me being Korean and all...
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I want this.

follow me on twitter and we can make stuff happen if we work together

@thejeffmcc

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Anybody (else) interested in starting a petition to open source the closed components of WebOS, even if it's a "futile" attempt. I wonder what value HP believes WebOS is worth...
    jeffmcc likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by discord View Post
    Anybody (else) interested in starting a petition to open source the closed components of WebOS, even if it's a "futile" attempt. I wonder what value HP believes WebOS is worth...
    I began doing research on this Tuesday after the Wall Street Journal reported that it is Acacia who is licensing the Palm patents, not HP.

Basically Palm's IP holding company was PalmSource who did the software and licensed it to Palm. PalmSource became Access who is now with Acacia.

Acacia has already licensed the Palm patents to Microsoft, RIM, Nokia, Pantech, and Samsung. We also found out on Tuesday that Apple, LG, and AT&T are licensing with Acacia as well.

Acacia claims that HP would also need a license from Acacia to pursue webOS licensing options. There are a lot of references in this thread.
    jeffmcc likes this.