Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Nominal fee to HP of $1 to buy webos, we'll take over all the staff.

1. Rebrand webOS to - fringingdamnstraightOS.
    2. sort out the updates so they work across all mobile editions.
    3. start in house application development, we create the apps we need.
    4. Advertising based revenue stream similiar to google, we need the money from somewhere - maybe this is rubbish.
    5. we engage ZTE !!!!!!!!!! to make a phone and rebrand it accordingly.

Job done.

I'll put my name forward as a shareholder.

I've had my veer for two days and straight away prefer it to my iphone or android tablet. My smartphone, which is now a dumbphone, will stay. I'm going down the path of dumbphone + android tablet.
    jeffmcc likes this.
    If that happens I will buy shares. Lol. I would! Not a lot, but maybe I'd buy a couple.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I think Derek offered $5 or whatever was in his wallet during the podcast last night.
    Derek could offer, at least, $20
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I'll buy $100 worth of shares.
    I'd buy that for a $
    etx likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    That would make crackberry kevin the owner.
    I posted this elsewhere as it was also suggested, but the members of PreCentral are approximately 474,000.

To be a serious purchaser, each member would have to put up between $1,000 and $1,500, and he/she would then own 1/474,000 (that would be one share) of WebOS, and then turn it over to WebOS Internals for development (hopefully, they'd be individual owners as well).

At that point, you then have to find a hardware MFR to partner up with.

Not that it could feasibly happen, but, one could dream.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LCGuy; 08/19/2011 at 01:40 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

If only.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by stickerboy View Post
    I'd buy that for a $
    Nice, Robocop reference! :-D
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Ill buy shares...as long as we get the "palm webOS" name back...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I posted this elsewhere as it was also suggested, but the members of PreCentral are approximately 474,000.

To be a serious purchaser, each member would have to put up between $1,000 and $1,500, and he/she would then own 1/474,000 (that would be one share) of WebOS, and then turn it over to WebOS Internals for development (hopefully, they'd be individual owners as well).

At that point, you then have to find a hardware MFR to partner up with.

Not that it could feasibly happen, but, one could dream.
    Nope, HP bought them for $1.2 billion, but they HURT the brand of WebOS, and there is no Palm anymore, so we wouldn't be buying that. $474,000 for just the OS and the rights that go with it. Seems fair based on how badly HP screwed up.
    Lol yeah precentral has about a billion plus lying around.. that would be cool
    I've been thinking about similar solutions - open-source it, sell it to webosinternals. There's a lot of software competency out there around webOS, but then it comes down to machines, which require much more money than $1 PayPal donations..
  15.    #15  
    Ok $1000 each. That puts us at $400mil right?
    I dont think this is a bad idea at all, our devo team i believe can make advancements to Webos with all the right tools. Finding a manufactuer though maybe difficult, it could be done. I myself always think out of the box, and never see anything to far fetched to do so. Or what about the hombrew community offering Samsung development services for the software side of Webos, if HP decide ultimatly not to. What other community besides Palm/HP themselves has more knowledge of how Webos operates. I for one think we should start a fund again like we have always done in the past to see if we as a community can raise enough money to not only make a offer to HP for the rights to Webos, or enough money to give our main developers the tools to be able to develop Webos as a single entity, and make a offer to other MF companys like Samsung or HTC.
    To all:

At $1.000 each, thats $474,000,000.

At $1,500 each, thats $711,000,00.

I anticipate that is what the WebOS OS would sell for, just for its Patents, but, you'd get the whole kit n Kaboodle with it.

Seriously, this would be a Herculean effort to do. Lawyers, a corporate account to hold the money and issue shares so that EVERY contributor is an owner, and then, most importantly, initially, a firm committment from most/all members for an amount between those two numbers above.

I don't want to be cynical, but, that is incredibly optimistic. I'd dare say 10% of the members, at most, would have that type of money, and that just wouldnt be enough.

Im willing to continue this discussion, though...

Thoughts? Ideas?

I would never use a webos device cause you all would fight so much in the board room for your silly idea's nothing would get done. also there's no talent here to run a company the size of webos would need. Just saying. and no i don't have talent either. lol.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I would never use a webos device cause you all would fight so much in the board room for your silly idea's nothing would get done. also there's no talent here to run a company the size of webos would need. Just saying. and no i don't have talent either. lol.
    You underestimate the talent of those with an engineering and technical talent. We easily have management ability as well within the WebOS community, so that isn't a problem. The big thing is for people to be willing to listen to those who come at things from a design before implementation mindset. Many talented engineers(including software) are not the best when it comes to design, and many who are good at design are clearly not good at the software side. So, we look at the skills of people, and we decide who has the talent for the higher tier "business" positions, and go from there.

If we were to design the new WebOS holding company as a business then, we pick the best person for CEO(to get funding you want someone who looks the part), then president to handle your internal running of the company, COO to handle your operational stuff, etc. Again, we may not have people who have a formal background at running a large business, but based on how poorly many of THOSE have done in large companies(Palm and HP), that may not be such a bad thing.

Remember the days when businesses start from the ground up in a garage? Very few people who are executives in corporations have ever experienced that, so they don't understand the idea of EXECUTIVES understanding what the role is of the different departments. Many execs don't value customer service and technical support, which is why so much outsourcing to India takes place. Every person in a startup, from a 5 person tiny business, to a 200+ corporation is important, and none should be looked at as not being vital to the survival of the business.

If the business is not public, then we would clearly need to get financing as well for day to day operations, and THAT is where things get difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    What we need is hardware, good up to date hardware, once we have that the OS will piggy back.

HARDWARE is the key to survival. Look at android....hardware acceptance is what made it for it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast