Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    "folks, I know it's tough, but try to relax a bit. I'm working to get you as much information as I can as fast as I can. All I can say right now is that is that I don't see this as bad for webOS.

Please just hang tight. I'll be back with more as soon as I can.

(I have meetings to go to for some odd reason).

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/18/2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: updated title
    Denial is not a river in Egypt. I think HP spiked the punch a long time ago. And were just waking up after being roofied.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Yeah.... just keep in denial. That what works in webOS world and thats why Sprint subscribers are still trying to rationalize a scenario where they get a new phone on their carrier. I just hope that HP does some licensing to other manufacturers and works on a market penetration approach.
    Of course I'm not holding my breath.... lol and I'll more than likely pay very little attention if any to webOS in the future.
    Koolaid and roofies is tasting pretty good right about now....I'll take 10.
    HP: ‘We are not walking away from webOS;’ exclusive details from inside | This is my next...

An insider has given us details from an all-hands meeting HP just held with employees in the webOS Global Business Unit in light of today’s announcement that HP will no longer make webOS devices. In the meeting, webOS GBU VP Stephen DeWitt made it clear that HP intends to continue to work on webOS and likely intends to license it. DeWitt was adamant, saying several times “We are not walking away from webOS.” He detailed a plan to try to determine what the platform’s future will look like within the next two weeks, although he admitted that “Clearly, we don’t have all the answers today.”

In response to a direct question about licensing to HTC or Samsung, HP VP Todd Bradley pointed out that to date webOS is designed to work on a single set of silicon — Qualcomm — and that many potential licensees would likely want to see webOS support other chipsets. He did not elaborate further on potential partners.

DeWitt said that there would be staff reductions, but told the team that the company needs people “that are serious about winning” and again reiterated HP’s commitment to developing webOS as a platform. Both DeWitt and Bradley were clear that the current business model of webOS wasn’t working primarily due to lackluster hardware, arguing that HP needed to stop “trying to force non-competitive products into the market.”

In short, it looks like HP is committed to finding a partner or partners to license webOS. It’s not clear how the company will shuffle the division around given that it currently sits within the Personal Systems Group, which is slated to be be spun off.
    Except that's a lie, webOS isn't designed around a single piece of silicon, it first ran on TI OMAP3 before Qualcomm.
    The blame is squarely on HP.

1. They talk about weak TP sales, well, why put out a tablet aimed at iPad 1, with half optimized software and hardware that's nice, but last generation.

2. What I believe is the biggest issue is engineers who are not up to the task, even RIMM's software is smooth compared to webOS. Also, why not take away all the simple little things by adding ports, back-cameras, etc, and other basic specs

These are just 2 of many areas HP didn't seem to learn. They seem to not have anyone with an ounce of common sense in a decision making position to give input on what the consumer wants based on whats selling, etc
    Last edited by RoverNole; 08/18/2011 at 05:21 PM.
    jokkel likes this.
    The issue wasn't only hardware. The software also played catch-up the last two years. Yes there were a few unique features, but that was just not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppeye View Post
    HP: ‘We are not walking away from webOS;’ exclusive details from inside | This is my next...

An insider has given us details from an all-hands meeting HP just held with employees in the webOS Global Business Unit in light of today’s announcement that HP will no longer make webOS devices. In the meeting, webOS GBU VP Stephen DeWitt made it clear that HP intends to continue to work on webOS and likely intends to license it. DeWitt was adamant, saying several times “We are not walking away from webOS.” He detailed a plan to try to determine what the platform’s future will look like within the next two weeks, although he admitted that “Clearly, we don’t have all the answers today.”

In response to a direct question about licensing to HTC or Samsung, HP VP Todd Bradley pointed out that to date webOS is designed to work on a single set of silicon — Qualcomm — and that many potential licensees would likely want to see webOS support other chipsets. He did not elaborate further on potential partners.

DeWitt said that there would be staff reductions, but told the team that the company needs people “that are serious about winning” and again reiterated HP’s commitment to developing webOS as a platform. Both DeWitt and Bradley were clear that the current business model of webOS wasn’t working primarily due to lackluster hardware, arguing that HP needed to stop “trying to force non-competitive products into the market.”

In short, it looks like HP is committed to finding a partner or partners to license webOS. It’s not clear how the company will shuffle the division around given that it currently sits within the Personal Systems Group, which is slated to be be spun off.
    So they admit they are clueless? They say nothing that hasn't been said by webOS fans and foes for a year now.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Except that's a lie, webOS isn't designed around a single piece of silicon, it first ran on TI OMAP3 before Qualcomm.
    i think he is talking about 3.0.... still regardless of what happens, even if they announce a license to webos by the end of the month, the earliest we could expect to see that come through would be in 9 months

now that is if everything goes smoothly and there are no delays~!!

what are the chances of that?-=\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    "folks, I know it's tough, but try to relax a bit. I'm working to get you as much information as I can as fast as I can. All I can say right now is that is that I don't see this as bad for webOS.

Please just hang tight. I'll be back with more as soon as I can.

(I have meetings to go to for some odd reason).

This cat may not even have a job by this time tomorrow. I hope HR is not at his next meeting.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    they should sell webOS to Apple and integrate all the great features of both together into the iPhone6 / iPad3 with Apple changing its closedness to allow homebrewers
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    RoverNole likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    they should sell webOS to Apple and integrate all the great features of both together into the iPhone6 / iPad3 with Apple changing its closedness to allow homebrewers
    I hate if this happened last year... but now... this idea seems very reasonable.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    It's pretty clear that nobody in that business unit or connected to it was given any information or has any clue about what's going on - they seem to be completely in the dark. The most sensible ones will be online this morning get their CVs out and about rather than waiting for the hammer to fall.
    I really hope google or microsoft steals the multitasking, synergy and just type features and adds them to their OS.
    Apple is the same problem as Palm/HP: Just one piece of phone, one piece of tablet... there are android based car head units out there. Neither Apple nor HP would produce such things on their own... Licensing is the only way to success if it comes down to operating systems. And that is no matter how "good" they are in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I really hope google or microsoft steals the multitasking, synergy and just type features and adds them to their OS.
    Apple is the same problem as Palm/HP: Just one piece of phone, one piece of tablet... there are android based car head units out there. Neither Apple nor HP would produce such things on their own... Licensing is the only way to success if it comes down to operating systems. And that is no matter how "good" they are in the first place.
    RIM already steals WebOS UI because UI is quite simple to copycat.

But other then that.. I bet not as simple as it looks. More over if there is company copied them.. most certain they will be sued by HP.
    I suspect HP will continue to develop WebOS as an OS for their printers.
    Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I suspect HP will continue to develop WebOS as an OS for their printers.
    I installed an HP wireless printer at my neighbors a few days ago. What a royal pain. It loaded a ton of crap on the machines from the installation CD. Then the macs found it without issue, but every windows machine required me to connect the printer via USB before it could see it over the network. I didn't try a Linux machine, but it should be IPP compliant so why all the hassle on windows?

I was hacking the ePrint driver on the TouchPad so it would find and use non-HP IPP/PCL compliant printers. However, that work has stopped now that I'm sending my TouchPad back for refund.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I installed an HP wireless printer at my neighbors a few days ago. What a royal pain. It loaded a ton of crap on the machines from the installation CD. Then the macs found it without issue, but every windows machine required me to connect the printer via USB before it could see it over the network. I didn't try a Linux machine, but it should be IPP compliant so why all the hassle on windows?

I was hacking the ePrint driver on the TouchPad so it would find and use non-HP IPP/PCL compliant printers. However, that work has stopped now that I'm sending my TouchPad back for refund.
    FWIW, when I installed our new HP printer last month, I successfully connected it to three Windows machines (XP, Vista. Vista), and two Linux installations (Sabayon, Sabayon), and I can even print from my Pre, by emailing it to the printer. The printer is actually kinda nice, I just don't want it anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Denial is not a river in Egypt. I think HP spiked the punch a long time ago. And were just waking up after being roofied.
    He needs to be in The Now. He needs to take a swim in Lake Chuq and learn who really loves loves him: and it ain't HP!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast