Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jetsetter883
  1.    #1  
    I wasn't so sure at first but I'm now pretty convinced that HP is going to silently release the Pre 3 much the same way that they released the Pre 2. This is not a bad idea because it is already receiving a significant amount of backlash and wasting marketing dollars on a phone with "last year's specs" is not a productive use of funds.

It is my belief (and hope) that HP is hard at work on a killer device that will hopefully reinvent webOS on a smartphone. This device should be a slab, run webOS 3 and NOT CARRY THE 'PRE' NAME.

I really wanted the Pre 3 to be the killer device that brings webOS back into the hearts and minds of the public, but its just not going to happen. Hell, if they scrapped the device completely I wouldnt fault them. But they should simply not waste marketing dollars on it. If they were smart they'd release it silently (the writing seems to be on the wall for this one) and release an AWESOME device around the holidays if they wish not to embarrass themselves yet again. And this is coming from a webOS evangelist.
    dj ozone, sorli and SmartFah like this.
    thats a good idea...just get the pre3 into the hands of us webOS fanatics to tide us over while saving up cash and engineering resources to get the HP superphone ready for the holiday shopping hordes...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    thats a good idea...just get the pre3 into the hands of us webOS fanatics to tide us over while saving up cash and engineering resources to get the HP superphone ready for the holiday shopping hordes...
    exactly. release it so as not to have wasted money on its production but don't bank on it being a runaway success. im sure many of us would love it, but theres other form factors we'd also love to see, along with many others.
    they can't market it heavily if they wanted to... They don't have any carrier launch partners..
    Agree with the OP 100%. Please the webOS faithful with the Pre 3, and come out with an ultra slab for the masses. Drop the Pre name, maybe go with Envy or something (too bad they can't put beats audio in it).

They definitely need to drop some new devices this year, hopefully the TouchPad Go & slab phone. If they wait until CES 2012 or later, it just won't look good for webOS.
    Or market the hell out of it and drive sales between the touchpad and the pre3 via TTS capability.
    HP is just waiting for the right moment to drop the C40 on us.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,474 Global Posts
    And developers are suppose to sell apps to each other while they wait for this unannounced super-phone?

What's actually funniest about this thread is that the Pre 3 was so slient that it reads like the OP has missed that it's already happened.
    I definitely agree that the PRE name and existing PRE phone design has to be dropped.
    It's well over 2 years old now, hasn't been successful with any carrier and the build quality of the PRE didn't help it's reputation in the least.

HP needs to bring out a brand new phone with truly next gen specs ( YES YES, I know it's not "needed" but that's what people see when looking at and comparing phones on the market). WebOS can no longer stand on it's own as a selling feature.

AND.. With the recent announcement of Google buying Motorola mobility and with Nokia partnering with Microsoft HP should take this opportunity and approach Samsung and HTC with WebOS otherwise it's going to quickly die off .