Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello everybody I'm new here and although I've never had a webos phone as my main phone or something other then a pixi for cheap to get me by. I'm a wp7 and before that winmo user. But that's not to say I haven't wanted to have a webos phone.

I fell in love with the pre even before it launched. But as everyone here knows seeing a palm/hp phone is a whole nother thing to being able to buy a palm/hp phone. So that being said I'm a verizon customer and got sick of waitting for it on verizon and got locked into a 2 year contract. 1 other thing that has kept me away from buying a webos phone is I want a bigger screen and I'm not very big on having a keyboard either.

Well before I get trashed for being a hater I recently bought my dad a new pre plus on ebay because his old one was pretty messed up. Chunks missing, cracks, and the battery charger door is missing. So I took that one off his hands and started up so preware, overclocked the processor to 1ghz and all and all had fun with it since it's not my main phone and I just have it on wifi. I know people have been saying the pre 3 isn't on verizon's roadmap but that's nothing to worry about. (Believe me roadmaps aren't anything to get to worked up about) I bought the HTC Trophy and that was one hell of a nightmare. But anyway keep your heads up and maybe if hp can get a nice big slab out the door I'll be joinning you. Already thinking about a touchpad.

But my one question is does anybody know if you can get the free mifi from the pre plus switched to the pre 2 or pre 3? My dad won't leave cause that and I was just wondering about it.

Thanks and hopefully I don't get to trashed coming over from behind enemy lines
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/08/2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added paragraphs to make it easier to read
    steffej3 likes this.
    the free MHS plan is not free on the Pre2.

and welcome!
  3.    #3  
    Yeah I keep telling him that but he keeps wanting me to call everyone and their dog to see if someone could work some kind of deal
    Tell him to download freeTether instead.
    redmist likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Does that work on the pre 2 on verizon? Also he and my mom use that as their only internet. Weird I know but hey it seems to work for them.
    freetether works on the Pre2.

are they using the Pre Plus right now?
  7.    #7  
    yeah with the mifi
    I also recommend "freeTether".
    This is a webOS-Internals app that will allow the Pre to be a mifi.

The easiest way to get this on your dad's phone, in my opinion, is to do the following:
    1. Type "webos20090606" on the phone, this pulls up the Developer Mode app and you need to turn developer mode on.
    2. Connect the phone to the computer as "Charge Only".
    3. Download WebOSQuickInstall to your computer and run it.
    4. On the right side of the WebOSQuickInstall click the globe button
    5. Search for freeTether and install it to the phone

Done. Good luck.
    "Be excellent to each other!" -Bill & Ted
    Has Verizon cracking down on free wifi tethering like ATT has? I'm on Sprint and so far, I'm not worried about it (yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by malachijd View Post
    yeah with the mifi
    even the free MHS on the pre plus is only free for 5gb per month, so they must be very light users.
  11.    #11  
    So the freetether works with the pre 2 and turns it into the mifi? Oh and yeah very light on the usage. He has the unlimited data so if I got him a pre 2 it should work? Oh and I've been playing around with his old pre I've already installed preware, overclocked the processor with uberkernel to the 1ghz, and loaded a green lantern theme, and the virual keyboard. But thank you all. I guess I've been to engadget to much and expected everybody to hang me high coming from wp7.
    STARGATE likes this.
    Well, we were talking about heating up some tar and getting some feathers...but we decided to be nice and go with honey instead. Besides, it goes better on biscuits and scones anyway.

Glad you are having fun with the Pre, it's sure been nice for me.
    STARGATE likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Well it's nice to know not everybody is a sheep like the i's and little green men are.
    We are a passionate bunch here, and sometimes we can go over the edge. But we do our best not to.
  15.    #15  
    Well my dad just brought his pre plus over and I hooked him up with the 1ghz overclock, virtual keyboard, and some other little goodies so well see how he likes it
    Quote Originally Posted by malachijd View Post
    Well my dad just brought his pre plus over and I hooked him up with the 1ghz overclock, virtual keyboard, and some other little goodies so well see how he likes it
    Good luck and hope you guys enjoy the Pre!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I know people lost the free HotSpot service when they upgraded to Pre2 but what if you buy one off-contract? Is it still removed from your account?
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by workerb View Post
    I know people lost the free HotSpot service when they upgraded to Pre2 but what if you buy one off-contract? Is it still removed from your account?
    Yes. I bought a Pre 2 from eBay, and when I went to activate it on the VZW website it figured out what kind of phone it was and said that my old mobile hotspot plan was not "compatible with the device." After completing the switch to the Pre 2 the hotspot option was indeed gone.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
  19.    #19  
    So should I try and wait till the pre 3 comes out for my dad or just give up and get him a pre 2?
    At this point I would say if you can wait till the end of september (september 22 is end of summer) then you should wait and see if PRe3 is coming out. Pre3 will definitely be a better device than pre 2 (if everything else was removed even then it should have a better keyboard).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast