1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how comScore decide what mobile OSes to include in their reports?

Is it that WebOS has no market share (which is of course different from no users) or that they simply look at the market share of the 5 largest platforms in the sector?
    last I heard, makes up about 2% of smartphone users in the US. That's split between palm OS and webOS. This fits in line with the data you've linked to, because the percentages total up to about 98%.

I'd say the webOS marketshare is effectively zero.the market grows quarterly while the number of people using webOS phones is likely declining as people upgrade there devices.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    According to this it is around 2%:
    Android Now Owns 39% of Smartphone Market [STATS]
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    So working backwards, can we estimate roughly how many WebOS users (numbers rather than percentages) there are in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So working backwards, can we estimate roughly how many WebOS users (numbers rather than percentages) there are in the US?
    The June report seems to be in error. I believe their Symbian line (which was never represented on the US report) is really the Palm (HP) line. If you look at the may report Palm had 2.4% of 76.8 million users.

comScore Reports May 2011 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

Palms marketshare has been (slowly) declining but the 1,843,200 users didn't just up and dissappear from May to June. That it fell to 2.0 ending June is more likely.
    Which calculates to about 1.5 million Palm users, assuming 76.8M smartphone users (although that does seem a little high) and 2% of them are Palm users (also seems a little high).
    Not ridiculous, though. Keep in mind that the original Pre was the fastest-selling phone in Sprint's history, and that not everyone who bought one is the kind of person who would immediately upgrade to a new phone before, or even after their contracts expire.
    I am sure there are STILL thousands of 'silent' Pre users, who do not have strong feelings about phone OS, have never touched these forums, do not care about Linux or overclocking or patching.
    remember, people dont have to switch away from palm in order for the marketshare to drop. Even if every WebOS user held on to their device, if palm doesn't get new users as the market expands, their share will drop.