Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

post of the day: 'ZDnet, the myspace of tech blogs'
    Sorry, but that's definitely Wired.
    The author offered an op-ed to anyone in the webos community on twitter. I took him up on it...just waiting on his response to see if he'll accept or not.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Only an ***** would refuse your offer to take up his offer for an op-ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Only an ***** would refuse your offer to take up his offer for an op-ed.
    Im hoping he does. I work in the tech industry and my years in college were Communications and Business...so Im pretty confident in what Id write
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    speedtouch and steffej3 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    The author offered an op-ed to anyone in the webos community on twitter. I took him up on it...just waiting on his response to see if he'll accept or not.
    I choose not to dignify an article which continues to accuse me of impropriety. When the author removes the baseless accusations, then I'll be happy to write an Op-Ed piece for his readers.

Where I come from, the duty is on the publisher to check the facts first. It seems Mr Perlow and I do not share those assumed standards for publishers.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    "the bottom line is this: no consumer wants to have to hack their product using these community-supported packages to make their device work as advertised out of the box."

The writer is confusing two things:
    1) whether HP's software can work as advertised
    2) additional improvements/features from webos internals or homebrew

The reviews I've seen (with the exception of the zdnet bloggers) strictly review the device that HP gives them. They don't install patches and they don't listen to promises of future functionality although I'm sure many of them know about Preware and may have installed patches on their personal devices. The reviews were rightfully harsh at launch with many stressing that they could not recommend the device for purchase at that time (although they might change their minds later after software improvements were made etc).

And rightfully so. The consumers use the item out-of-the-box for the most part and the numbers of people installing Preware are very small. HP knows this and I assure you, they are not counting on Preware patches to drive bulk sales. DeWitt admitted they "stumbled and bumbled" out-of-the-gate.

That said, I talked about the TouchPad mishap to a former CFO of one of the larger public software companies and he wrote me back that the norm of the industry was to ship first, fix afterwards. (He is taking the long 20-25 year historical view)
    I agree with you completely. Did Perlow make some dumb statements? Yes. Did he make a couple of great points? Definitely.

For a long time my major beef with Android has been that it just doesn't feel like a fully baked OS. Every time I point at a major gap in the behavior or experience of the OS (not the apps ecosystem) I get pointed at some patch, hack, or app which is intended to add functionality which should already be in the OS.

I love using WebOS. I vastly prefer the WebOS user experience to the times I've picked up and used my wife's EVO 4G or friends and family's iPads and iPhones.

But I have to echo Perlow's sentiment, I shouldn't have to patch my product to turn of logging that is severely impacting performance. I shouldn't have to overclock a processor to get comparable performance.

WebOS is still more baked than other mobile OS's. Simple things like importing profile setting s from a phone to my tablet show much deeper thought into a mobile ecosystem as opposed to the behavior we see among all of the separate devices on the market today.

Folks need to avoid getting caught up in the inaccuracies of the article and accept he's actually made a couple of good points.

Side note: here's a great article very worth reading by every person complaining about an imperfect first release: The "Iterate Fast and Release Often" Philosophy of Entrepreneurship : Technology :: American Express OPEN Forum
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I choose not to dignify an article which continues to accuse me of impropriety. When the author removes the baseless accusations, then I'll be happy to write an Op-Ed piece for his readers.

Where I come from, the duty is on the publisher to check the facts first. It seems Mr Perlow and I do not share those assumed standards for publishers.

-- Rod
    The web is designed to generate hits. Writing ability and journalistic ethics do not come into play.

-- Rod
    You can write code...I can write articles.

You keep answering my questions and writing cool code for us and I'll be glad to write an article every now and then
    @agentmock

What a hatchet job of an article. On a separate note, that was the first time in a long time that I've actually gone the ZDNET website and now I remember why. Lol
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    You can call me "no consumer"... I quite enjoy doing what I want with MY devices.

Epic post of tonight on Twitter:

RT @Skawtnyc: A ridiculous person with no reading comprehension or attention span that got his crew ... to attack Jason Perlow.

Did I miss a memo somewhere? I don't recall any executive order to launch an assault on JP. On that note.... We're a "crew" now? How about"Cre"

and now that it's official...do we get colors to throw on our backs?
    Spraying 'NuxTux all across each & every city across the globe?
    Saw that before I went to bed last night.... if I didn't have to get up so early this morning I woulda replied to that BS tweet.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I didn't even know ZDnet was still around....
    so...another thought. unsupported statements aside. isn't the injection of the great work that WOSI is doing back into the product in a manner that improves the experience for ALL TP owners, not just those of us willing to dig a little deeper, exactly what we as a community would want?

I would think that colored opinions aside, HP paying very close attention to this community, listening to its feedback, and making use of its work in an appropriate manner (e.g. paying for IP and contributing to the OpenSource elements) should be lauded as the way things should be working.

{Disclaimer} Again, while I work for HP, I do not work in a product division and my opinions are my own{/Disclaimer}
    Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    hp-if-you-want-folks-to-hack-the-touchpad-then-open-source-it

I think Perlow got it right back in the comments. I couldn't find a single comment agreeing with him.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    What you're viewing now is an edited version of that article. The original included a line insinuating that "an under the table agreement" was formed between webOS Internals and HP, where webOS Internals was more or less being "used" by HP to improve webOS for free. Outlandish and ridiculous.

webOS Internals retweeted the following article. It's a good response to that ZDNet piece:

Differences between a community and unpaid “under the table” labor summatus mentis : mental meanderings
    Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    This was the last staw for me. I dropped myself from the zdnet mailing list after I read this article. I must have been on it since the 80's, but the quality of articles has progressively gotten worse.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    hp-if-you-want-folks-to-hack-the-touchpad-then-open-source-it

I think Perlow got it right back in the comments. I couldn't find a single comment agreeing with him.
    I need to stop reading these biased, ignorant articles. Since I cannot smack the writer (or is it hater?), it just puts me in a bad mood.
    <<threads merged>>
    You should have seen the first version before I objected to it. It used to say:

After removing some of the libelous accusations (but not all of them), the author offered me space in his column to write an "Op-Ed" rebuttal. Frankly, based on the bias in the original article I had no confidence that anything I wrote would be published without being altered, so I passed on the offer.

This was his response:

His co-editor later followed up with this:

One wonders why they felt the need to include such baseless accusations in the article in the first place ... and then follow up with such hostility.

I guess some see interactions with companies as either antagonistic or indentured while others are able to explore a far more varied spectrum of collaboration.

-- Rod
    Who knows. Talk about rude and inconsiderate. They probably need controversial article writing to try to get ratings up. It's all a numbers game to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    This was the last staw for me. I dropped myself from the zdnet mailing list after I read this article. I must have been on it since the 80's, but the quality of articles has progressively gotten worse.
    You should at least stay subscribed to James Kendrick's feed.

Mobile News | ZDNet

Unlike most on ZDNet, he actually knows the products he writes about.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    OK finally had a chance to look at this article... I promise to deliver an epic shoop (go look it up) of these two idiots. Hell even my wife said I could have some fun with their picture. What's the chances I caught a buzz at dinner and found out a Bill Gates look-a-like and a some lumberjack turned tech-troll are picking on my beloved touchpad?

Time for a fire and smores, then time to test out my nifty new photoshop virtual app...

<3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast