Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By finngirl
  • 1 Post By bevcraw
  • 2 Post By threed61#WN
  • 2 Post By ego2001
  • 1 Post By theog
  1.    #1  
    As much as HP's seeming ineptitude at launching a device gets on my nerves, I was forced to ponder yesterday if I even really want the Pre 3 to have a successful launch. Before I am branded as a WebOS hater, allow me to explain. Part of what attracted me to WebOS in the first place is that it was an alternative to Apple and Android. I liked that I could get a nice smartphone without becoming just another iPhone or Android user. I absolutely detest Apple as just another cog in the liberal machine (along with most major media outlets, but that's for another forum...). I can't stand Macs, iPods, iPod Touch, iPhone, iTunes, etc. And then it kind of dawned on me that WebOS may be finding itself in a similar position to the one Apple used to be in. I was a kid in the 80's when Mac was released, but I remember the sort of "outsider" and "non-sheep" status and Apple really built on that and in some weird way, still try to claim it, although Apple users are now the most sheep-like users of any technology (maybe ever). I love WebOS and I know it is absolutely superior to iOS and Android in its design (although it lags drastically in developer support), but if it were to succeed and really catch on, I wonder if I would remain as interested in it. So I find myself in the weird position of needing/wanting WebOS to really succeed in order to generate developer support, but realizing that if it really does succeed, I won't have the same sense of satisfaction from using an "outsider" platform.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    if you want to be an outsider, buy a WP7 phone
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Sounds like you're looking to a piece of technology to complete your identity, instead of solve problems in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    As much as HP's seeming ineptitude at launching a device gets on my nerves, I was forced to ponder yesterday if I even really want tthe Pre 3 to have a successful launch. Before I am branded as a WebOS hater, allow me to explain. Part of what attracted me to WebOS in the first place is that it was an alternative to Apple and Android. I liked that I could get a nice smartphone without becoming just another iPhone or Android user. I absolutely detest Apple as just another cog in the liberal machine (along with most major media outlets, but that's for another forum...). I can't stand Macs, iPods, iPod Touch, iPhone, iTunes, etc. And then it kind of dawned on me that WebOS may be finding itself in a similar position to the one Apple used to be in. I was a kid in the 80's when Mac was released, but I remember the sort of "outsider" and "non-sheep" status and Apple really built on that and in some weird way, still try to claim it, although Apple users are now the most sheep-like users of any technology (maybe ever). I love WebOS and I know it is absolutely superior to iOS and Android in its design (although it lags drastically in developer support), but if it were to succeed and really catch on, I wonder if I would remain as interested in it. So I find myself in the weird position of needing/wanting WebOS to really succeed in order to generate developer support, but realizing that if it really does succeed, I won't have the same sense of satisfaction from using an "outsider" platform.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Are you admitting to being a hipster?
    Thread moved to webOS discussion. Really more about philosophy than Pre 3 specifically.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/01/2011 at 10:14 AM.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    "hipsters gonna hipst" -- a wise man
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    if you want to be an outsider, buy a WP7 phone
    That outsider has phones made by 4 major manufacturer's, and activated on ALL 4 major US carriers. With 4 times as many apps, and an update with 500 new features. Wish webOS was such an outsider.
    Sapient2k7 and fxspec06 like this.
    If it "succeeds" it most likely will stay in 3rd or 4th place (depending on what WP7 does) so it will still have that "outsider" status.

Also, I laugh whenever I hear the "500 new features" touted by M$.

"Hey guys, our apps now launch 3-5 milliseconds faster, this is a breakthrough feature. Our welcome screen's color went from navy blue to light navy blue. You might not notice it, but it's really easy on the eyes, we promise. We also changed the font... (you get the idea)".

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    That outsider has phones made by 4 major manufacturer's, and activated on ALL 4 major US carriers. With 4 times as many apps, and an update with 500 new features. Wish webOS was such an outsider.
    +1
    Don't worry. If webOS becomes too mainstream you can always switch to something else. Meego might be a good choice. It has a lot of promise, an open architecture and a huge cloud of doubt and questions on top.
    You can always build your own hardware and start compiling your own OS and run that if you're so bothered about a platform getting majority. HP is a business, not a playboy's hobby where they will just randomly throw money at it.

Let alone we're far from being popular.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Well if you want to be a real outsider, you could switch to Symbian in the next couple years...
    "There are two kinds of people in the world with purple hair: the rare one who really likes purple hair, or, the common one, who, if most people had purple hair, would dye their hair black."--ego2001 3:16
    Last edited by ego2001; 08/02/2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Prē
    finngirl and Andyf like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    If it "succeeds" it most likely will stay in 3rd or 4th place (depending on what WP7 does) so it will still have that "outsider" status.

"Hey guys, our apps now launch 3-5 milliseconds faster, this is a breakthrough feature. Our welcome screen's color went from navy blue to light navy blue. You might not notice it, but it's really easy on the eyes, we promise. We also changed the font... (you get the idea)".

Almost as funny as repeatedly having to tout "true" multitasking in lieu if new features. Said feature has been blatantly ripped off by MS for the mango update.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post

I see wp7 in second place in two years... I see the palm OS retired and moved on to something else... not sure what. Maybe RIM will get Palm from HP... that would have been a good move.

There are tons of new features in the next update of wp7 (mango). 500 is a lot, but the ones I wanted are there... it is an amazing update. Not to mention office365... it is great.

The phone is fast... damn fast....

Palm needs to be on more hardware... oh, yea... get ready for a swath of wp7 devices in the next couple of months... world-wide roll out... it is going to be crazy.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    AZ8 likes this.
  16. AZ8
    WP7 Mango is going to be a player. It may become my next phone at upgrade time!
    I wonder how active the Mango homebrew community will be.
    Stay on-topic guys Please don't veer off (no pun intended) into a discussion of Mango. This is still about the Pre3.