Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Wayne173
  • 1 Post By fxspec06
  1.    #1  
    Let me start off by saying I'm a HUGE fan of WebOS and the Pre form factor. I'm on Sprint right now and thinking hard on FrankenPre. Ok sooo here's my point of view of the current situation with Sprint and HP. I'm applauding Sprint right now on standing their ground on NOT carrying the current WebOS phones. Sprint did the best thing for Palm by taking an unfinished and poor hardware spec phone. Without Sprints exposure they would not be @ least this far in their story. Sprint has taken alot of grief with the Pre- and I'm sure they don't want a repeat. Soo look @ the current WebOS phones they are still riddled with issues that should have been taken care of back in WebOS 1.X. Minus the Veer (or maybe add it due to that tiny screen) this is the only phone that has promise spec wise but the still newborn OS is not mature enough to blow consumers away. Sprint is RIGHT for wanting a top notch phone with little to no issues from HP. Continuing to have customers return phones hurts there business...ie customer satisfaction also includes phone choices. If WebOS is a constant gut punch to Sprint on returns (some have return 3-4 times) of WebOS phones and then have a customer say in a survey they have poor equipment hurts their bottom line. So I hear many if not all of you ranting and threatening to leave Sprint if they don't have the Pre3 and I'm telling you that Sprint won't bat an eye if you do. They ARE doing what's best for their customers. They were bitten once and don't want a repeat so they're being careful on they next WebOS choice. Another point....what if the Pre3 comes out and it still doesn't have the 'promised' features and apps. Whos fault is that...Sprint for carrying the phone or HP for shipping out an unfinished OS. Many of you will say HP but Sprint is going to take ALL the heat because they will be the first one that you call when you have an issue. So I'm hoping that Sprint and HP still do have a good relationship and that Sprint holds out until they give me a polished WebOS device that I can show off to others and say that they have to get one instead of pawning them off to an Andriod phone because of it short comings. Just my view...please don't hate on me!
    We don't hate you (at leased I don't). I wouldn't switch carriers over a phone either (I'm talking to you iphone fan boys). And I understand why sprint won't carry the pre 3. The reasons are because they were the ones who got the bad end of Palm phones when Palm gave away their prototypes of the pre and pixi plus to sprint causing sprint to lose money by buying more but selling less because of its problems. They just don't want to repeat the same mistake they did 2 years ago. Remember when Palm said they'd have flash by the end of 2009, Feb 2010, the middle of 2010, the end of 2010, and then Q1 2011, and then no update at all? Some people switched to sprint because of the pre. It would've been the first smartphone with full flash support.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Not "hating" on you, however what's unfinished in WebOS that makes you steer others to a different OS? WebOS has many features not available on other OS platforms. Also reports are that the Pre2 and veer are built much better than the original pre and the Pre3 should be equally good if not better. Also as far as promises. Simply only state what the phone can do today, not what could be. Can't blame either company for stating what it can do now. The only advantage I have heard of about Android is that they have a bunch of apps. I'll still hold on to my original Pre and hope that Sprint will wake up and not hold HP accountable for something that Palm did.
    It is not just about the phones or hardware anymore. With cloud synergy you may need to follow the OS to maintain all the apps you purchased. If your carrier stops supporting your OS and you have to switch to another operating system to stay with that carrier you will probably loose whatever you have stored in the cloud especially the applications that you carefully selected and paid for.

While I may agree that I wouldn’t switch carriers over a phone but I may over having to change from WebOS to Android or iOS.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    HP should license webOS to other device manufacturers as mentioned in PreCentral numerous times. This is the best method to spread the webOS experience everywhere. Imagine if webOS devices were built by HTC, Motorola, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc.?

Google succeeded with their OS by licensing Android all over the planet. Why else are 550,000 Android-powered phones being activated every single day?

- I still have high hopes for webOS.
    Last edited by fred1955; 07/21/2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: update
    HP should license webOS to Nokia or HTC. Everyone else they should stay away from.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

fmarcanojr likes this.
    A lot of us switched carriers to get the original Pre. Sprint had an absolutely dreadful reputation then. [check consumer reports, jd power or other from that time]. Sprint has made huge gains in the quality of its service since then. HPalm.....
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kh4fun View Post
    Not "hating" on you, however what's unfinished in WebOS that makes you steer others to a different OS? WebOS has many features not available on other OS platforms. Also reports are that the Pre2 and veer are built much better than the original pre and the Pre3 should be equally good if not better. Also as far as promises. Simply only state what the phone can do today, not what could be. Can't blame either company for stating what it can do now. The only advantage I have heard of about Android is that they have a bunch of apps. I'll still hold on to my original Pre and hope that Sprint will wake up and not hold HP accountable for something that Palm did.

Well I might have mispoke on turning people to Andriod. I meant to say that I can't or don't readily give Webos the nod. I do ask them what they like about andriod and I can't see advocating that they get a WebOS phone. Pre+ and Pre2 are quoted as being very good phones but I see and hear that they're bugs that weren't present in WebOS 1.X. The music player issue people are having. That's my point about unfinished.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    HP should license webOS to Nokia or HTC. Everyone else they should stay away from.

I think HP has a good chance of pulling this off. They just need time. Unpressured time so they can get it right. They can't license Webos out if HP doesn't really know what they want to have as a feature or built in function. Until they have that down then maybe they (HP) can think about licensing. That's like giving your keys to a teen without any rules are. Whatever company wants to license needs to know what HP wants out of WebOS. To me @ this point HP has ideas of what they want but no concrete position of what they want as a stable function of WebOS.
    I for one don't recommend webOS to anyone looking to jump to a smartphone from a feature phone...let the droid have them but I do recommend webOS to current ios and rim users and have gotten some interest...webOS is a passion to me and not something I brush over to people...as for sprint I've been with them for over a decade and will continue enjoying webOS with my carrier