Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    So, Ive been thinkin about it for a day or so...and Ive come to the conclusion that HP should have kept the Palm name.

For a couple of reasons.

First, to help protect the HP name. If the touchpad and veer got bad reviews, well, the reviews would be on Palm. Not HP.

Second, for possible future dual branding. You could make the Palm name be the entry level version of the device and then the HP could be the premier (read: envy) version of the device.

I dont think the Palm name was so far gone that it didnt retain its presence in the market. Even now people will ask me if hp bought palm and tell me how they owned a palm years ago and it was fantastic.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Yeah, the HP Pre 3 is a little hard to say. And if its 4g then it will be the HP Pre 3 4G. lol. It just sounds silly.
    nyquistjack likes this.
    This is the dumb reason, but the final straw that pushed me to the Pre2 was the fact it still had palm on it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    threed61#WN and Derek_B like this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    Strange that they kept the Pre name, but got rid of the Palm name, right?

Shoulda been the other way around.
    Exactly.

The Palm name had a great decade+ old reputation and name.

The Pre had a name of awful hardware.

Think HP screwed up in the marketing department somewhere.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    I think the Palm name has been tainted. You often hear in financial discussion whether RIM will be "the next Palm". Palm is no longer associated with successful products, just with a failed company.

taxi and cyberprashant like this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I think the Palm name has been tainted. You often hear in financial discussion whether RIM will be "the next Palm". Palm is no longer associated with successful products, just with a failed company.

maybe in investments, thats the case.

In the product world, hardly.

Today, most people understand good companies with good products can fail. Look at some of the huge companies that failed and are still successful.
    @agentmock

I still think they should have called the phones the "HP Palm" (ie Palm being the actual product name, and then Palm II, Palm III, etc). I think that way it would be more of a reminder of the early days after the Pilot, when Palm dominated.
    JED-WEB-OS, Derek_B and RafRol like this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I still think they should have called the phones the "HP Palm" (ie Palm being the actual product name, and then Palm II, Palm III, etc). I think that way it would be more of a reminder of the early days after the Pilot, when Palm dominated.
    not a bad idea
    @agentmock

HP is like the Borg... look what they did to Digital and Compaq, and these are just two companies that I've heard of that HP took over. They assimilated the technologies and discarded the brand names.
    Game over!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    HP is like the Borg... look what they did to Digital and Compaq, and these are just two companies that I've heard of that HP took over. They assimilated the technologies and discarded the brand names.
    huh?

compaq - BestBuy

they did exactly like i said they should do with palm....make palm the intro level and hp the premium level.

same they do with compaq. compaq is the cheap computers and hp stuff is the nice stuff
    @agentmock

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    In terms of brand recognition, HP had Palm beat by a huge margin...
    cyberprashant likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    In terms of brand recognition, HP had Palm beat by a huge margin...
    You do know Palm is synonymous to PDA right? HP is best known for crappy laptops.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You do know Palm is synonymous to PDA right? HP is best known for crappy laptops.
    Palm had such great brand recognition they're no longer in business...
    no my friends associate palm w the ever so dead pda.

no to palm. Hello HP.

never saw palm use a celeb.

hp just did russeell brand on primetme...americas got talent.

that what hp brings....market presence
  15. AZ8
    At some point you have to move forward.

In order to move forward.....you have to leave the past behind.
    cyberprashant likes this.
    I understand the frustration but, what's done is done. Move on guys. Look forward. =)
    "Oh that's cute, a new Palm made by HP? I used to have a Palm organizer 15 years ago, but now I have an iPhone, so there's really no need for me to read the small print under that huge Palm logo. It's just a Palm PDA, or it wouldn't say 'Palm'.

I wonder why HP would make Palm organizers instead of smartphones. Fail."

-- This is why they killed the Palm name. Despite its great history, right now all the associations with Palm are: 'ages old tech' and 'failed company'. Can't work with that in marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They were having an issue with getting a trademark registered for the "Palm" name, that's why they went with TouchPad instead of PalmPad.

Maybe they'll get that issue cleared up in time for the 7" tablet and the 4" slab phone. More likely they're just going to dump the whole thing and not try to deal with the headache of appealing those trademark decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    HP is best known for crappy laptops.
    I thought that was Dell.

"Dude, you're gettin' a Dell.. I feel sorry for ya."
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I thought that was Dell.

"Dude, you're gettin' a Dell.. I feel sorry for ya."
    Meh... they're equally bad.

ThinkPad or Asus FTW.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast