Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    A friend of mine was telling me that if Hp bought blackberry it would truly solidify webos (qnx) as the corparate and personal smart phone/tablet in the market.
    ??
    Sorry, but how is this a good idea?
    There's a reason that RIM is failing, and it's not too different from the reason that HP is failing.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Should HP buy Blackberry (RIM)?

Uhm.... No.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  4.    #4  
    Well blackberry qnx is a knockoff of webos, hp would have a killer mobile division set to dominate with both webos and win8.
    Why not? They bought another failing company a year ago.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Look how well they've done with Palm! Obviously BB would be a smart buy XD
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamm2382 View Post
    A friend of mine was telling me that if Hp bought blackberry it would truly solidify webos (qnx) as the corparate and personal smart phone/tablet in the market.
    If they want to be the corporate (i.e., business, industry, technical: productivity) "smart phone/tablet in the market" they need:
    1. A documents editor
    2. A database application
    3. A contacts / appointments / action list application where the elements interact with each other (i.e. one can assign a contct to a task or see a log of all appointments with a client).

All of the above need bidirectional USB synchronization with a desktop component. I'm all for giving peeps their wi-fi and cloud connection but not everybody works in that environment in the field (agricultrual and natural resource management, for an example), so ALL connectivity options should be available to meet particular circumstances.

I had ALL these things with Palm OS (Tungesten and TX). I had all these things on my former Blackberry. I have all these things on Android. If it wants to attract the productivity market WebOS has to offer at least this much (or give us Classic back, that worked well for me on the Pre).
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    palm friend and JED-WEB-OS like this.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamm2382 View Post
    And because your friend said so, it's worth of a topic post? Is your friend in the merger/corporate field? Does your friend work in these markets. Is he simply just a speculator who makes his money on making the papers with his rumors and notes.

Yeah, what a waste.
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by moneil7 View Post
    If they want to be the corporate (i.e., business, industry, technical: productivity) "smart phone/tablet in the market" they need:
    1. A documents editor
    2. A database application
    3. A contacts / appointments / action list application where the elements interact with each other (i.e. one can assign a contct to a task or see a log of all appointments with a client).

All of the above need bidirectional USB synchronization with a desktop component. I'm all for giving peeps their wi-fi and cloud connection but not everybody works in that environment in the field (agricultrual and natural resource management, for an example), so ALL connectivity options should be available to meet particular circumstances.

I had ALL these things with Palm OS (Tungesten and TX). I had all these things on my former Blackberry. I have all these things on Android. If it wants to attract the productivity market WebOS has to offer at least this much (or give us Classic back, that worked well for me on the Pre).
    I posted a thread on another page that I believe Hp relationship with MS could really help them develope some full featured apps thats rendered for webos, just like MS office is made for Mac's. I believe hp mobile division is going to explode in the next two years between Window 8 and WebOs and if they were to buy BB--apple and google would <<mod delete>> their pants!
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/20/2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: language
    I dont see what good this would do HP. Its not like BB has high end devices and a killer OS. What would they gain from doing this?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatila View Post
    Look how well they've done with Palm! Obviously BB would be a smart buy XD
    Well, if HP did buy BB, it would be smart for them to integrate with the audio/navi systems in all new Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    If HP is going to spend $20 billion of an acquisition, HP would be buying a big consulting company like HP bought EDS for $14 billion in 2008.

HP hired this new CEO because he understand that side of the business (because he came from SAP).
    Hp should buy apple.. Hey they both make computers.. They both make phones..

That's enough for me... /s

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    for what?

what do they own thats worth anything? trackball patent? awful qwerty keyboard patent? small, awful screens patent?

so no...shouldnt buy them.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I dont see what good this would do HP. Its not like BB has high end devices and a killer OS. What would they gain from doing this?
    BB have the ability to send and accept invites from their phones. They are also well into the corporate environment where HP is NOT (communications rather infrastructure and servers).

BB have business solutions for the actual users. HP have business solutions for technical IT users.

BB has an extremely good hardware capability - far better than HP. The playbook has been praised time and time again for its hardware. Their phones are not top of the range, but are also much cheaper. The hardware is very good for the money as is what corporate look for. BB keyboards are the best in business (general opinion, I prefer others). BB hardware has the longest battery life. BB has the best overall security and cryptography capability. There are more developers developing for the BB platform. There are more applications for the BB platform. There are far more carrier relationships with BB than with HP. BB is a stronger brand for consumers for phones than HP is for phones (in fact HP should stop saying their printer are great, it puts people off. Printers are boring, phones are accessories and coolness statements, HP please do not dilute the value PALM brand by keep saying you are good at printing).

And never mind the huge value of their patents portfolio.

But as is already pointed out, HP is likely to screw up any such purchase, just like they screwed up the Compaq and other brands they bought. If RIM has any real sense, they would get themselves put up for sale to Lenovo or to Samsung.
    If the HP buy BB gain:

=> DocsToGo Full for webOS (read & edit) ;
    => Increase mindshare in mobile corporate market;
    => BB batteries technology;
    => Good Pushmail technology (works well same in gprs);
    => Some patents to portfolio.

So, is not a bad idea, but... not for $ 20 bi!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    RIM didn't buy DataViz the company --- they only bought the Blackberry port of DocstoGo.

There is no secret battery technology --- RIM just uses extremely out-dated CPU's that is clocked at 600 MHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    RIM didn't buy DataViz the company --- they only bought the Blackberry port of DocstoGo.

There is no secret battery technology --- RIM just uses extremely out-dated CPU's that is clocked at 600 MHz.
    RIM bought most of DataViz and hired most of its employees. Also, they do have some magic to save battery in their push technology. It's more efficient than a data connection in that I believe it uses subchannels of the voice connection to tell it when data is needed. That's why IM kills battery life on webOS (which has no push at all, other than email) and doesn't make a dent in BBM usage.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/20/2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    HP can buy the webos port from dataviz and put 10-20 of their 300,000 staff to work on the port.

Push email may save battery life for a small smartphone with a 3 inch screen. But we are talking about the era of 4.5 inch giant slabs. The giant screen and the ghz cpu are going to eat up most of the battery.
    don't know why people think HP would buy another struggling phone company. Not that it would happen but something like an EMC or an F5 Networks maybe? But not another phone company.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast