Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP needs to move quickly with webOS.

Question is, do they have the resources? I agree they have resources with marketing etc. but how about building the OS?

As i can see android is moving along very quickly. And apple is proven to come out with good stable software. I mean look at their photos app on the ipad and macbooks. it's so fast. way faster than other products at the moment.
    HP has track recoard of buggy software.

Will the Palm webOS cope with the speed? are they able to hire fast enough?
    Honestly, webos 2 is a big improvement to webOS 1.

But 3 is not much differnet if not backwards to 2.

CommentS?

Chris
    Both iOS and Android have been around a lot longer than webOS and neither one of them have gone through a buy out. webOS has already come a long way from the first version. HP is just breaking into the tablet scene. People cant be complaining about bugs and little problems with the first version when theres an update coming right around the corner. Development is hard work and for one company to put out two phones and a tablet (so far) in one year is pretty impressive I think.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    HP rebuilt webOS from scratch to create 3.0 in less than a year. I'd say they moved at a pretty impressive speed.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Why is one questioning the resources of HP, the largest computer company on the planet? Just a thought....
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Why is one questioning the resources of HP, the largest computer company on the planet? Just a thought....
    true, tho HP always have had not very optimised software.
    resources is one thing. hope they can get their identity as a great software company like apple and google asap.

I hope HP has the pull to pull in the best people to work with webOS.

right now messaging app on the touchpad is just not acceptable. even with the promised upgrade i think it will take another few updates to fix all these speed issues.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    HP rebuilt webOS from scratch to create 3.0 in less than a year. I'd say they moved at a pretty impressive speed.
    i agree.

hope its planned well so phones will be able to use this new version of the software too.

they need to make some good decisions and not rush it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Both iOS and Android have been around a lot longer than webOS and neither one of them have gone through a buy out. webOS has already come a long way from the first version. HP is just breaking into the tablet scene. People cant be complaining about bugs and little problems with the first version when theres an update coming right around the corner. Development is hard work and for one company to put out two phones and a tablet (so far) in one year is pretty impressive I think.
    agree, lets hope for the best.
    i hope webOS's development side gets better. coz i really like alot of their concepts like synergy and do not want to leave them.

they need gestures back.

i like ipad's photo app gesture. clicking back just makes the whole user experience crappy. i am too used to the phone gestures.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Both iOS and Android have been around a lot longer than webOS...
    This is not completely true -- the first Android phone released in October of 2008, the first webOS phone release in June of 2009 -- that is only a 8 month head start.
    This is the second thread you've started whining about the "speed" of webOS, and citing the iOS photo app as your standard bearer, within 10 minutes of one another.

You were educated in the previous thread.

What gives?
    Jonesey and Cantaffordit like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    This is not completely true -- the first Android phone released in October of 2008, the first webOS phone release in June of 2009 -- that is only a 8 month head start.

ummmm...8 months within such a short span IS significant. Especially, factoring in the buyout.

If webOS is 2 years old....24 months

Android would be 32 months

32/24=1.333333

I'd say a 33% head start is pretty large.
    C-Note, Jonesey and XappA like this.
    After hearing Rubinstein, Dewitt, and Kerris talk, I have to say we have not seen the bottom yet. It will get worse, much worse, before it gets better, if at all. These guys have been driving webOS downhill for a long time, and Dewitt has shown no indication that he will reverse the trend.

Future of webOS is not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    HP needs to move quickly with webOS.

Question is, do they have the resources? I agree they have resources with marketing etc. but how about building the OS?

As i can see android is moving along very quickly. And apple is proven to come out with good stable software. I mean look at their photos app on the ipad and macbooks. it's so fast. way faster than other products at the moment.
    HP has track recoard of buggy software.

Will the Palm webOS cope with the speed? are they able to hire fast enough?
    Honestly, webos 2 is a big improvement to webOS 1.

But 3 is not much differnet if not backwards to 2.

CommentS?

Chris
    Chris... this is the second thread you have created about this but with no real content and sweeping statements about webOS vs iOS. I closed your other thread and you can continue your questioning here. Please do not create another thread about this. Thanks
    While HP has moved fairly quickly in bringing in webOS 3, it still appears to still be falling behind. The Veer and Pre2 were next to invisible launches, Touchpad was a "soft launch", and Pre3 has been a no-launch. Phones still make up the bulk of sales vs. tablets and the "flagship" devices at the major carriers more than 2 years after the webOS launch are the Pixi (Sprint), Pre2 (Verizon), Veer (AT&T). As much as I love webOS I would have a tough time recommending those to a friend at this point.
    They didn't just move fairly quickly, they rushed, evidenced by the need to promise an OTA update by month's end and the need to declare July 1st a soft launch. They rushed and came out with a half-baked product.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by aapre View Post
    The Veer and Pre2 were next to invisible launches...
    No one can argue against you with the Pre 2, but I don't understand what else you wanted from the launch of the Veer. I mean, I saw a LOT of commercials during prime time programming during its first month. I've seen displays in Best Buy (not GOOD displays, but at least they drew your attention and informed people that the product existed).

What did you feel was lacking about the Veer launch? Besides the number of products actually sold of course, 'cause I haven't seen the phone setting the world on fire or anything.
    Come play with my Twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    This is the second thread you've started whining about the "speed" of webOS, and citing the iOS photo app as your standard bearer, within 10 minutes of one another.

You were educated in the previous thread.

What gives?
    your ego is becoming as epic as your moustache
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    No one can argue against you with the Pre 2, but I don't understand what else you wanted from the launch of the Veer. I mean, I saw a LOT of commercials during prime time programming during its first month. I've seen displays in Best Buy (not GOOD displays, but at least they drew your attention and informed people that the product existed).

What did you feel was lacking about the Veer launch? Besides the number of products actually sold of course, 'cause I haven't seen the phone setting the world on fire or anything.
    While I do agree, HP declared the veer launch to be a "soft launch". WTH does that mean? When was it taken out of soft launch? To my knowledge, never.

The biggest problems with the veer are:

1) It still cannot TTS or SMS with your touchpad, a very big shame

2) They should have released Pre3 either before or concurrently with the veer - putting all your muscle behind the veer to get it released was stupid..

I think Ruby thought the Veer would be revolutionary and people would jump all over it. As he stated, he wanted to start a trend and "veer" away from big phones.

It failed, didnt work and he got replaced by Dewitt.
    the veer didn't fail.
    the veer didn't fail.
    forgive me, Failed to start a new trend of being small is cool as Ruby had hoped..

I own a veer and I like it.... if only it would work with the touchpad but i guess that is coming in next few months.

I think Ruby planned to release the Veer before the Pre3 b/c he thought that would be the homerun phone that everyone would be salivating for but in reality, its a nice niche phone and the Pre3 would have been much more welcomed as the FIRST PHONE BEING RELEASED by HP since the buyout...
    the veer didn't fail.
    you are right, how can a phone fail if it hasnt officially launched yet? Veer is still in "soft launch".
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast