1.    #1  
    I am a latecomer to Webos (entering my second year of sprint contract with pre-) due to contractual limitations. I was so excited due to the fact that I have been a big supported of Palm. Now I find myself wandering in the smartphone wilderness once again, unable to receive any OTA updates with no relief on the horizon. I wont leave Sprint due to the pricing so it leaves me with some tough decisions to make. I know I have a year left on my contract and a lot can change, but I am a plan ahead guy. I am looking at android (uugghh) but there are SO MANY phones, I would appreciate some suggestions. My only requirement is that it have a physical keyboard. Any suggestions, folks??
    I was in the same boat... My suggestion would be that you first examine to see if the pricing on Sprint is really that different for you. In my case, moving to a different phone would cost $10 more per line with Sprintīs new "premium" data for smartphones. With two lines on the Everything Data, Iīd be paying $140 a month. AT&T turned out to be only a few dollars different, depending on the options you chose. Might be worth checking out before deciding.
    Get a Pre2 off of Ebay or Craig's World and have webosworld turn it into a Sprint Pre2 for you. You will get a new smartphone for the next year or so without having to pay that extra $10 a month and they can give you 2.1 so you would be able to share phonecalls notifications etc with the TouchPad if you decide to buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Get a Pre2 off of Ebay or Craig's World and have webosworld turn it into a Sprint Pre2 for you. You will get a new smartphone for the next year or so without having to pay that extra $10 a month and they can give you 2.1 so you would be able to share phonecalls notifications etc with the TouchPad if you decide to buy one.
    I second this.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pre 2 is your best bet.

HTC Arrive is a great WP7
    The only good keyboard phones for Android on Sprint are the EVO Shift and the Epic 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I read you don't even get navigation with this and you better off oc an original pre than waste money on this.
    Your response, of course, assumes that the OP values navigation more than the other features of the Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I disagree with the posters above. Install 2.1 on your pre- first and give it a try. I did it to mine this weekend and my pre is much snappier and has new features it didn't have before. It won't cost you anything, unless you donate to webos internals (which you should if you get it working).
    I totally sympathize with you. I also have a Pre-, only I've been out-of-contract for quite some time (was holding on to the hopes of a newer webOS phone).

I also recommend getting a Pre2 and making a FrankenPre. I'd love to do so myself but every auction on eBay is significantly out of my price range, not to mention hundreds of dollars more than it would cost to get a new phone from Sprint's current lineup (even if it meant jumping ship from webOS). And if anything happened to it I'd really be SOL, as there definitely would be no equipment protection on it. Unfortunately for me, leaving Sprint isn't an option (my plan is paid for by my parents and I can't afford paying for a plan of my own on any carrier).

If having webOS is your main priority, switch carriers when your contract expires. The Pre3 will definitely be out by then (Who knows? Perhaps it'll even be on Sprint...). Within Sprint the only alternative is pretty much just Android, which has a few phones with physical keyboards (but all of the landscape variety).