1.    #1  
    WebOS, please don’t spurn me.

I’ve had a Palm Pre on Sprint since March 1, 2010, which replaced a Blackberry Pearl and a Palm OS TX. I loved Web OS, generally liked the Pre and have not had problems with it (but was looking forward to other hardware choices), and the Classic emulator made up for the immediate absence of certain applications.

With the acquisition of Palm by Hewlett-Packard and the announcement of new devices I had fully anticipated that by the end of this year I would have a Touch Pad and a Pre3 and would have fully conformed my information (and communications) management to the WebOS platform.

Instead I have a brand new EVO 4G and a “rooted” Nook Color (making it a 7” Android tablet). There was a quirk in Sprint’s Premier Customer program that allowed silver level customers to have an upgrade override through June 30 this year (I would have otherwise not been eligible until January 1, 2012) that helped spur the decision, and I already owned the Nook Color, so that got me into a tablet devise at a very economical cost. The 7” form factor better suits my needs (and one hears that a 7” TouchPad may be coming later). I miss my “cards” but from my immediate vantage point Android doesn’t just meet my needs better (actually, it’s not better), it meets strategic needs that the “new” WebOS can’t at the moment (as far as I can tell). There were a couple of other factors, especially not knowing if and when Pre3 would be available through Sprint, and VERY ESPECIALLY the absence of the Classic emulator on the newer devices. Yes, Classic was “flighty”, but it made the Pre fully functional in some (to me) strategic areas while awaiting native WebOS applications in those areas.

I was not an “earlier innovator” in the arena of PDA’s ~ I used Day-Timer’s desktop software for contact and appointment management to produce printed pages for my organizer binder, which also incorporated the Scan Card system (elements of which I still use). Still, my first PDA was a monochrome Sony Clie (Palm OS), so I’ve used electronic systems for awhile. With all of my devices (the original Clie, a color Clie, a Tungsten E, a TX), right out of the box, I received:
    1. A four function PIM (contacts, calendar, tasks, memos) application for BOTH the handheld AND the desktop;
    2. A standard version of Documents-to-Go (with the idea that the customer would want to upgrade to the premium version). Even the standard version allowed editing of Office documents – it wasn’t just a reader.
    3. The HotSync conduit that, with ONE TOUCH ONE TIME provided BI-DIRECTIONAL synchronization of the data from EVERY Palm OS application with its equivalent desktop component. This was quick, seamless, flawless, and NO wi-fi was required (though the wi-fi and Bluetooth capabilities of the TX were both appreciated and often used). It may be a shock for some here to learn this, but not everybody lives in a 24/7 wi-fi environment, just in case some may not have been aware of that.

To be sure, most users added a variety of applications to their Palm OS devices to enhance their functionality. Most of these applications also offered an equivalent desktop component (HanDBase, Smartlist-to-go, Agendus, SplashData programs, for some examples) that one could sync with.

I thought WebOS would be better (the interface defiantly is). But there still isn’t an Office documents editor (to my knowledge, unless one has just come out). I could use Docs-to-Go through Classic and I have a choice of three editors with Android. The PIM application is as basic as the original Palm OS version (and I noticed that the TP doesn’t even have a task application built in – to be fair the native Android PIM doesn’t have either tasks or memos, and it sucks). I could use Agendus through Classic and I can now sync my Pimlical desktop (or Palm, or a wide variety of other PIM programs) with the free DejaOffice application on the Android.

There are a couple of cool looking relational databases for WebOS. I have one of them on the Pre and I may get the other to play around with also (I am keeping the Pre, but it isn’t activated on any network at the moment). But I consider HanDBase to be totally awesome also. It has a full featured desktop equivalent and bi-directional synchronization between the PC and the handheld. It also has sync conduits for MS Access. An Android version became available last fall. Among the several reasons I purchased a Pre instead of an Android last year was that HanDBase wasn’t available for Android but I could use it on the Pre through Classic. I’m sorry, but I’m not too keen on trying to program a database with the Pre keyboard. The advent of a WebOS tablet where the programming could be done would change that dynamic, but the TP won’t talk to my humble pre 2.0 Pre, and I still don’t know what is being done to offer bi-directional synchronization.

A number of the WebOS applications speak (even proudly) of importing or exporting a “backup” and/or a csv file, through the cloud, usb, or e-mail (like I did with SplashID for WebOS). Hmmm, back in my DOS computing experience I suppose we could have said that we “synchronized” computers because we could put data on a 5-1/4” or 3-1/2” “floppy” disk and walk it between devices. Considering that we are now in the second decade of the twenty-first century, and having been accustomed to the “one touch – one time” full bi-directional synchronization of ALL applications through HotSync, I’m not so sure an electronic equivalent of “moving data by floppy disk” really represents progress, but that’s just my opinion.

I do not begrudge anyone their wi-fi or cloud connectivity. BUT, as I mentioned, not everyone has access to that connectivity (I now work in agricultural research and before that I was in agricultural sales, in very rural areas, where a weak cell signal can be hard to find at times). By adding those additional features I am not seeing why it was felt necessary to disconnect USB connectivity and synchronization, but that is what has occurred in many respects.

I have 17-1/2 months until my next Sprint up grade. I want to come back to WebOS. I need a four function (contact management, appointment management, action list management [tasks], and memos) interactive PIM (interactive in that I can link appointments and tasks with contacts, and have a log of those links, like I could do with Agendus and can do with Pimlical and DejaOffice ~ isn’t WebOS all about “synergy”?) that is on both the handheld AND the PC, and they talk to each other through a USB cable. I need a relational database that is on both the handheld AND the PC (or a tablet), and they talk to each other through a USB cable (or Bluetooth, in the case of a tablet). I need an application with which I can edit MS Word and MS Excel documents on the hand held, and move those files (ideally synchronize those files) between the hand held and the PC with a USB cable.

WebOS, please don’t spurn me.
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    I also had hopes that webOS would combine a modern, nice looking OS with the great functions of PalmOS. So, far it fails which is pretty amazing.

Im still on a Pre and I hope its better on 2.0. I think the llockscreen is able to display upcoming events etc or is exhibition mode just available while charging? I guess webOS its getting there one step at a time?