Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rei VI
  1.    #1  
    I'm wondering if anybody with more computer savvy than me can hazard an educated guess on whether it is better to wait for a PC manufactured by HP with WebOS or if I could just go ahead and buy a new killer PC now and install WebOS later when it's available.

In other words, do you think WebOS will be available on any PC like any other third-party software for PCs, or would it be something for an HP PC only?

Maybe nobody can answer that, but I thought I'd get some opinions. Not sure how long I should wait for a new PC etc.

Then again, I'm on Sprint and I've been waiting forever for a new Pre, so I'm pretty patient!
    I wouldn't wait. WebOS for computers are not coming out in any shape or form no time soon.
    Can't say how it will come to computers, but one thing's for sure: it won't be coming anytime soon. I would recommend to go ahead and buy a new killer PC.
    If I were a bettin' man... I'd say that you can count on HP offering the webOS app as a download for all other computers. They want webOS on as many computers as possible, so I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't have a download for existing computers to get it on those devices. I wouldn't wait for a computer - go ahead and get one.
    I bought a Touchsmart PC hoping it woild download webOS one day...

I heard yesterday also HP will be introducing an Ultraportable PC featuring Intel's latest chip.. I'm gonna holdup on that.
    What I've read is that WebOS will someday install on top of Windows vs. replacing it per se...

Here's an excerpt from Stephen Dewitt earlier today:
    On Microsoft: One place HP has been very clear about bringing WebOS is the PC, which of course is the bread and butter of HP’s oldest and best partner, Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT). DeWitt was unwilling to share an updated time frame for installing this WebOS layer atop Windows PCs beyond sometime next year, which is what HP has been saying for months.

If you want a killer pc now, go for it!
    if you get a new laptop now with hp you can also get a free xbox 360 I'm not sure when that deal ends but I may jump on that myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdiyguy View Post
    if you get a new laptop now with hp you can also get a free xbox 360 I'm not sure when that deal ends but I may jump on that myself.
    I think the box offer is only for students.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I think the box offer is only for students.
    you are right. their are lots of ways around that though.
    I really want a MacBook pro for Final Cut, but I also want webos. Since it'll probably be exclusive to pc, there is a bit of an issue. Boot camping is a solution, but with a 256gb ssd, space is too limited. So, getting a PC just for webos, at the moment, with so little information it sounds a little stupid.
    Build your own computer , i took that route never having done it before. You can build a pretty mid to high end computer for pretty cheap compared to actually just buying one.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    RafRol likes this.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Lol I read the thread title and i literally laughed out loud.
    I wouldn't hold your breath for anything webOS on a PC in the next year.
  13.    #13  
    Hey thanks for the input, y'all, the various takes on this were helpful.

Thing is, today I discovered the problem with my current PC was simply a bad stick of RAM. Whew! Dodged a bullet there! I guess I'll stick with what I got until next year when things shake out and save the cash I would've spent on a new PC for a new Pre 3 instead...

("You should have a huge balance by that time, bub!")
    I was watching a presentation for an HP pc on qvc last week. It had the touchsmart system touchscreen overlay, that looks like what HP has in store for webos. A simple overlay for web access, viewing photos etc.
    You can install webOS emulator on any PC right now. There is nothing to wait for.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If I were a bettin' man... I'd say that you can count on HP offering the webOS app as a download for all other computers. They want webOS on as many computers as possible, so I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't have a download for existing computers to get it on those devices. I wouldn't wait for a computer - go ahead and get one.
    I think that they will keep it to themselves for 6months to try and get key sales to their computers, then after 6 months release it to all manufactures but with limited features, New HP Comps will have TTS and whatever else they got up their sleeves
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    I'm wondering if anybody with more computer savvy than me can hazard an educated guess on whether it is better to wait for a PC manufactured by HP with WebOS or if I could just go ahead and buy a new killer PC now and install WebOS later when it's available.

In other words, do you think WebOS will be available on any PC like any other third-party software for PCs, or would it be something for an HP PC only?

Maybe nobody can answer that, but I thought I'd get some opinions. Not sure how long I should wait for a new PC etc.

Then again, I'm on Sprint and I've been waiting forever for a new Pre, so I'm pretty patient!
    I really haven't seen any concrete facts on how exactly webOS will work on a PC. Maybe some P|C folks will update me here. Will it be a dual-boot option? Drivers that talk to your existing apps? A browser-based layer? Or something else?

After spending some time with my Touchpad, I can definitely see how any integration would be useful, though. I mean, I've got Synergy combining contacts and media on both the Touchpad and Pre. It'd be great to be able to seamlessly access that stuff on my PC, too.

But the other posters are correct - what we've heard from HP is that this level of integration won't happen any time soon.

As for the whole Sprint thing - I find I use my Pre- more like a phone now that I have a Touchpad, and a new phone is far less important to me. 90% of the time I'm at work or home, and just use my Touchpad for all the things I used to use my Pre for. Only on rare occasions where I'm running errands do I use my Pre like a network terminal anymore.