webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > How do I stop unsolicited Skype invites?
How do I stop unsolicited Skype invites?

Old 07/11/2011, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

I got my Touchpad on launch day, but didn't connect my existing Skype account to the Messaging on the Touchpad for a few days. Once I did... I started receiving unsolicited invites from spam-bots on Skype. I have tried blocking the sender when I get these invites, but I keep getting more invites from the same people I supposedly blocked.

I tried to find Skype settings on the Touchpad, but they are very basic, and as far as I could see... have no privacy type controls. I went back to my computer and used the Skype software on my PC, and confirmed that I had my Skype account set to only accept people on my contact list (and yes I confirmed that the spam-bots were't accidentally on my contact list).

Is anyone else having this problem, and have you figured out how to stop it? I really don't want to dis-associate my Skype account from Synergy, as I would lose my ability to make video calls to my wife on her Touchpad.
PrePat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2011, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrePat View Post
I got my Touchpad on launch day, but didn't connect my existing Skype account to the Messaging on the Touchpad for a few days. Once I did... I started receiving unsolicited invites from spam-bots on Skype. I have tried blocking the sender when I get these invites, but I keep getting more invites from the same people I supposedly blocked.

I tried to find Skype settings on the Touchpad, but they are very basic, and as far as I could see... have no privacy type controls. I went back to my computer and used the Skype software on my PC, and confirmed that I had my Skype account set to only accept people on my contact list (and yes I confirmed that the spam-bots were't accidentally on my contact list).

Is anyone else having this problem, and have you figured out how to stop it? I really don't want to dis-associate my Skype account from Synergy, as I would lose my ability to make video calls to my wife on her Touchpad.
Block Calls From Non-Contacts
from skypes desktop client

Click "View" on the menu at the top of your application window.

Click "Statusbar" in the View menu only if it is not already checked.

Locate the status bar at the bottom of the Skype window. Click the downward-pointing arrow to view your options.

Prevent calls from people who are not on your contact list by disabling the "Skype Me" mode. See the Tips section below for other options.

Read more: How to Block Unwanted Calls on Skype | eHow.com How to Block Unwanted Calls on Skype | eHow.com

follow me on twitter or Catch me at LOOT

ATTN: If You like my Patches or Themes please feel free to DONATE
sketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2011, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
Block Calls From Non-Contacts
from skypes desktop client

Click "View" on the menu at the top of your application window.

Click "Statusbar" in the View menu only if it is not already checked.

Locate the status bar at the bottom of the Skype window. Click the downward-pointing arrow to view your options.

Prevent calls from people who are not on your contact list by disabling the "Skype Me" mode. See the Tips section below for other options.

Read more: How to Block Unwanted Calls on Skype | eHow.com How to Block Unwanted Calls on Skype | eHow.com
Thank you for your reply! I'm not sure what version of the Skype desktop client you are running (I'm running version 5.3.0.116), but I don't even have "Statusbar" as an option under the view menu. My privacy setting are under the Tools, Options, Privacy... and I have EVERYTHING set to "people in my contact list only". Calls, videos, IMs... everything. I also don't have any other services that are allowed to use Skype.

I'm still a bit unhappy that HP doesn't include any of those settings for Skype under the messaging settings. I really wish there was a standalone version of Skype with the full set of options and controls. Jamming it into the messaging app feels a little half baked.

Has anyone figured out how to access the camera OUTSIDE of the messaging app?
PrePat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2011, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm having the same issue as the OP with numerous unwanted Skype "invitations" on my TouchPad in spite of setting every available privacy option in every client I have to "Contacts Only." My desktop Skype client is version 5.3.0.120 and says it is the latest, and I also can't find any way to follow the steps posted by sketch42. Privacy configuration is most likely stored locally by each client app/device, and not globally for your account--meaning the desktop Skype client has some privacy option that's missing from the WebOS Messaging app, and we're stuck until that changes. Waiting for that would be a lot easier to tolerate if the process for denying the spammy invitations and blocking the senders worked reliably.

I spent a long time in chat with HP Support today trying to deal with one specific notification that I could not dismiss because its Deny button wouldn't respond. Their troubleshooting path inevitably led toward a complete repaving. I preferred living with the pothole in this case, so I sent in a diagnostic log instead. With further solo tinkering I was able to resolve the problem. Support had me delete my Skype account from the TouchPad, but the message and its unresponsive red X button surprisingly persisted, even after restarting. I had not yet tried the "Block" button because I found previous similar spam would just reappear after the next device restart unless I tapped Deny before tapping Block. Next I dug around in the privacy options in my Windows Skype client, found the sender of my undismissable "invitation" on the list of blocked users, and *removed* that blocking entry. After that, I restarted the TouchPad, recreated my Skype account on it, and restarted it again. I can't remember whether the problem message vanished without further interaction or just started behaving properly so that I was able to Deny & Block it normally, but either way it's gone now, so the magic ingredient is in there somewhere. Sorry I can't offer a more definitive recipe, but hopefully the clues are there to help someone else avoid rebuilding from scratch unnecessarily.
aleeceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2011, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quick clarification: Where explained above that I had not yet tried the Block button and why, I meant to add that I next *did* try the Block button, and found that it did respond, even though the Deny button still did not. I expected it to reappear after the next restart as other messages had before, but I don't think it did, possibly because the Skype account had already been removed and was not recreated until after the next restart.
aleeceh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skype, spam

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0