Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By bulliedog
  1.    #1  
    Licensing webOS: Its probably not what you think | News, Opinion/Editorials |webOSroundup

“Our focus always has been to make webOS available to partners that expand the ecosystem, and we will continue to be open to that,” Bradley said. Of course, Bradley doesn’t need a reminder that licensing an operating system while using it in one’s own products can be a tricky proposition. Bradley learned that firsthand during his own stint as head of Palm. Rather than license the OS to companies that would compete head-on with HP’s webOS products, Bradley suggests that the company is most interested in licensing to companies that would take webOS in a new direction.

“That’s exactly what we would look for, someone who would go in spaces that we are not in,” Bradley said.
    This makes sense. Manufacturers like Samsung makes tons of appliances and consumer electronics that run software now but things are fragmented. Imagine having webOS on your Samsung refrigerator? Sounds like the possibilities are endless.
    I am, therefore I think
    A thought just came to me this morning too on this subject. If they WERE to licence webOS to other phones, wouldnt they have to share their patented touchstone technology as well so those phones would work on the touchstones? I dont think they would want to do that. That alone kinda prevents them from licensing webOS to phone developers.
    I think we will see webOS on Samsung TVs before we will see it on Samsung phones.
    Exactly. Having TV's that run WebOS is actually exactly what I think they will do.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    A thought just came to me this morning too on this subject. If they WERE to licence webOS to other phones, wouldnt they have to share their patented touchstone technology as well so those phones would work on the touchstones? I dont think they would want to do that. That alone kinda prevents them from licensing webOS to phone developers.
    i dont see how this would create a conflict. They'd only be able to use TTS with phones HP approves of.

still, I dont think we have any real knowledge of how HP intends to license webOS. It could mean having a company be responsible for the hardware, but w/o the branding, like the Nexus 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i dont see how this would create a conflict. They'd only be able to use TTS with phones HP approves of.

still, I dont think we have any real knowledge of how HP intends to license webOS. It could mean having a company be responsible for the hardware, but w/o the branding, like the Nexus 1.
    I know it would only be for devices HP approves of. But if they have a company like samsung making the phones, they would have to give them the touchstone technology in order to build it into it. Otherwise, touch to share and touchstone charging would not work on those devices. HP would have to share that technology with samsung or any other company making the devices, which I dont see happening.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    How much of touchstone is implemented in hardware, and how much in software?
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    How much of touchstone is implemented in hardware, and how much in software?
    100% hardware. Otherwise this would not have been possible: Power sharing: Evo 4G modded for Touchstone compatibility [video] | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net

There is an aspect of the software that detects if a phone is connected to the TouchStone as that is how exhibition mode works, but that has nothing to do with the technology of TouchStone but simply a matter of determining what type of charger is connected. A simple line of pseudo code that says "if phone is charging and not connected to USB then phone charging via TouchStone" is all that is necessary to integrate it to the OS.

Personally I don't see what would require any manufacturer other than HP to support the TouchStone -- it is not a requirement for webOS phones to support TouchStone charging.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    100% hardware. Otherwise this would not have been possible: Power sharing: Evo 4G modded for Touchstone compatibility [video] | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net

There is an aspect of the software that detects if a phone is connected to the TouchStone as that is how exhibition mode works, but that has nothing to do with the technology of TouchStone but simply a matter of determining what type of charger is connected. A simple line of pseudo code that says "if phone is charging and not connected to USB then phone charging via TouchStone" is all that is necessary to integrate it to the OS.

Personally I don't see what would require any manufacturer other than HP to support the TouchStone -- it is not a requirement for webOS phones to support TouchStone charging.
    That is exactly what I suspected and was getting at. Other than detecting if you are attached to a TouchStone, I couldn't see how there was anything within webOS to make it work. Seems TouchStone is a non-issue for licensing of the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Exactly. Having TV's that run WebOS is actually exactly what I think they will do.
    Imagine having webOS running on a TV with some kind of Kinect type interaction - sweet!
    clayclay350, Rnp and pogeypre like this.
    That is exactly what I suspected and was getting at. Other than detecting if you are attached to a TouchStone, I couldn't see how there was anything within webOS to make it work. Seems TouchStone is a non-issue for licensing of the OS.
    Im not saying other companies WOULDN'T be able to make phones with webOS on them. They just wouldnt be able to use wireless charging (unless modified by the user) or touch to share with the touchpad. But do you think HP would want to have any future webOS phones out there that dont work with their touchstone chargers or use the touch to share feature that they talk up so much?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Im not saying other companies WOULDN'T be able to make phones with webOS on them. They just wouldnt be able to use wireless charging (unless modified by the user) or touch to share with the touchpad. But do you think HP would want to have any future webOS phones out there that dont work with their touchstone chargers or use the touch to share feature that they talk up so much?
    Sure, it becomes a differentiating factor between the (for instance) Samsung SuperCool powered by HP webOS 4.1.6 and the HP Vexation running webOS 4.1.6.
    Sure, it becomes a differentiating factor between the (for instance) Samsung SuperCool powered by HP webOS 4.1.6 and the HP Vexation running webOS 4.1.6.
    Yeah, but then it goes back to the first post of this thread. They wont want to make competition for themselves.
    If they're not going to license phone, they better damn well up their release schedule. One phone every four months cover it. And they better release hardware that people will actually want. None of this veer crap.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    If they're not going to license phone, they better damn well up their release schedule. One phone every four months cover it. And they better release hardware that people will actually want. None of this veer crap.

Remember when people were convinced HP would be releasing a new phone every other month?

Yeah, but then it goes back to the first post of this thread. They wont want to make competition for themselves.
    That thinking is just so unbelievably shortsighted on HP's part. They own the platform. Who cares if someone releases a better webOS phone that cannibalizes Pre 3 sales when the alternative is webOS dying a slow painful 1.2 billion dollar death?
    Not the only other alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman821 View Post
    I think we will see webOS on Samsung TVs before we will see it on Samsung phones.
    I own a 50" Samsung TV and Love It!

Can you imagine having webOS controlling video content via ethernet, WIFI, or otherwise? Wow that would be so cool.

How bout one better...Samsung, HP, and webOS work their magic and bring webOS serving to the TV for online content, DLNA, and apps (Facebook, IMDB, etc) that can controlled by any webOS device and touchscreen.

WebOS becomes the conduit and webOS phones provide interface controls! Sorli...
    I'm not so sure the cards metaphor will transfer well to TV. Something like Wii or Boxee with their remotes and remote-controlled interface seems natural for TV. WebOS, not so much.