1.    #1  
    Now I know that the answer is currently No.. But my question stems from the improved performance of Enyo.. Due to Hardware acceleration.. So again,

Will enyo be able to run on a Pre "Classic" better than 2.1 ?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It might, but I think theres a fat chance of HP releasing WebOS 3.0 for legacy devices.

Theres only so much HB can do. Without some form of WebOS ROM for the legacy devices, it wont be optimized or configured to run on that hardware.

So short answer, no, long answer, no.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    It might, but I think theres a fat chance of HP releasing WebOS 3.0 for legacy devices.

Theres only so much HB can do. Without some form of WebOS ROM for the legacy devices, it wont be optimized or configured to run on that hardware.

So short answer, no, long answer, no.
    But mildly long answer.. Meta-Doctor

sketch i dont think they could handle it really . it might freeze up the phone lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    There are ways to test Enyo on your phone. Basically the same way you can use Enyo in the browser. It isn't much use though since you can download the app without a device.

Enyo is just another Javascript framework, like Mojo or Prototype or jQuery.

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    There are ways to test Enyo on your phone. Basically the same way you can use Enyo in the browser. It isn't much use though since you can download the app without a device.

Enyo is just another Javascript framework, like Mojo or Prototype or jQuery.

Fine but will this framework run better than Mojo..

7.    #7  
    Isn't the framework the foundation of the system?

The Pre and Pre+ are two different phones.

Pixi = no way
    Pre = maybe but will not have enough Ram to do much and will cause freezes just like 2.1.

Pre+ = should be able to run it with the extra ram but would also be slow due to cpu power. But would probably be equal or better then 2.1

. But will internals be able to make a meta-doctor I am not sure. Send Rod a quick tweet.
    Enyo can work on any device, as said, it's just a framework.
    webOS 3.0, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast.

Since your question was about enyo, yes, enyo can run on a Pixi, Pre-, Pre+, Pre2, Veer and TouchPad.

It even runs in a webkit browser (that's what we use to develop most of the time).
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Enyo can work on any device, as said, it's just a framework.
    webOS 3.0, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast.

Since your question was about enyo, yes, enyo can run on a Pixi, Pre-, Pre+, Pre2, Veer and TouchPad.

It even runs in a webkit browser (that's what we use to develop most of the time).
    Ok .. Sorry for the ignorance but why would 3.0 be diff?

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Ok .. Sorry for the ignorance but why would 3.0 be diff?

3.0 is the full operating system, with low level libraries, new kernel, memory management, services, etc, etc, etc...

enyo is just a set of javascript files, created to run under a webkit-style browser. Similar to mojo in nature.

3.0 may have even bigger memory requirements than 2.1, so, it's unlikely that 3.x will run on 256Mb devices, but may run on 512Mb ones (from Pre+ to Veer). The problem with the Pre+ is that is not supported anymore and probably there will be no compatible kernel.

Pre2 and Veer are said to support 3.0. We can only hope

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
  12.    #12  
    3.0 is the full operating system, with low level libraries, new kernel, memory management, services, etc, etc, etc...

enyo is just a set of javascript files, created to run under a webkit-style browser. Similar to mojo in nature.

3.0 may have even bigger memory requirements than 2.1, so, it's unlikely that 3.x will run on 256Mb devices, but may run on 512Mb ones (from Pre+ to Veer). The problem with the Pre+ is that is not supported anymore and probably there will be no compatible kernel.

Pre2 and Veer are said to support 3.0. We can only hope
    Ok.. Like going from win ME to win7 using 8 year old hardware

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Ok.. Like going from win ME to win7 using 8 year old hardware

Right!!

And enyo could be just the directX runtimes as an example

14.    #14  
    Right!!

And enyo could be just the directX runtimes as an example
    ok so it may be possible for enyo to get installed on Pre+ & work so so.. But pre not happening & pre2 veer & pre3 should be able to run the full Os no problems

Gotcha

I don't think I would rule out never being able to run Enyo apps on legacy devices. It depends on what HP allows devs to do with it, and whether they do anything to Enyo that keeps it from running well on those legacy devices. I can't say more.
    Sorry I misunderstood the question, I thought OP meant if WebOS 3.0 would run on older devices.

Enyo will run, but I dont think you will see an improvement in terms of responsiveness of the app running better or whatever.

Maybe a bit but most of the speed related issues are due to the OS and hardware.
    I think HP is done with anything that says 'Palm' on the back, not because they're evil but because it doesn't help webOS at all if they support old phones and neglect research and development for the future. And I agree with them. They should go forward. Nobody is holding it against Apple that the 3GS became all but unusable with iOS4, people just ran and got new iPhones. Nobody is holding it against anyone that any Android handset you buy is never going to get more than an update from X.Y to X.(Y+2). They just go and buy new phones.
    It's just a disaster in webOS land that only the Pre+ got 2.1, and people say they won't buy new phones because HP isn't gonna upgrade them anyhow. Since some carriers are refusing to provide the update to their users, those users are looking to dump HP (who provided the update) instead of the carrier (who wants them to buy a new phone instead).

I'm on a Pre Plus (2.1) which I'm not expecting to ever get anything ever again except maybe a bugfix update like 2.1.1 or something like that. I doubt Enyo support OR webOS 3 is ever going to come to any device that doesn't have an HP logo (or, if the rumors are true, the mystery licensee's logo) on the back.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I think HP is done with anything that says 'Palm' on the back, not because they're evil but because it doesn't help webOS at all if they support old phones and neglect research and development for the future. And I agree with them. They should go forward. Nobody is holding it against Apple that the 3GS became all but unusable with iOS4, people just ran and got new iPhones. Nobody is holding it against anyone that any Android handset you buy is never going to get more than an update from X.Y to X.(Y+2). They just go and buy new phones.
    It's just a disaster in webOS land that only the Pre+ got 2.1, and people say they won't buy new phones because HP isn't gonna upgrade them anyhow. Since some carriers are refusing to provide the update to their users, those users are looking to dump HP (who provided the update) instead of the carrier (who wants them to buy a new phone instead).

I'm on a Pre Plus (2.1) which I'm not expecting to ever get anything ever again except maybe a bugfix update like 2.1.1 or something like that. I doubt Enyo support OR webOS 3 is ever going to come to any device that doesn't have an HP logo (or, if the rumors are true, the mystery licensee's logo) on the back.
    I don't care if hp brings it.. In fact I agree with you ...

My question is to the homebrewing Franken making community!! =P

And I think its been more than answered.. Thanks everyone!!

If it was about franken brewing, should've asked about webOS 3.0. Enyo doesn't require any hacks. If it just works in Chrome, it should just work in 1.4.5 and 2.x. But it would probably be the same deal as with downloading doctors with the metadoctor: you can't legally distribute enyo (yet), so people would need to get it on their own.