webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > HP should license Webos to LG
HP should license Webos to LG
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By 65fastback
  • 4 Post By tomdryan
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By ajguns

Old 07/04/2011, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

So, Ive been thinking about the webos to samsung licensing rumors....and with them on board with android pretty hardcore....I just dont see it as smart or viable.

So I got to thinking....who, overall, would be one of the best partners for HP?

LG

So why LG?

First, because LG has the product mix that I believe HP would like to get into.

TV's, bluray players, cell phones, laundry machines, refrigerators, etc.

Second, because LG wants in the smart product industry.

LG developed the cell processor (see in the PS3) to actually put into TV's to house a computer in the TV's they sell for a truly capable, smart TV. While this is not something that has taken off currently, we all know in the future that powerful smart devices WILL.

Third, LG and HP dont crossover very much.

Compared with samsung. HP makes many, many computers. Samsung makes many computers as well (specifically laptops). LG makes very few computers. This means less competition between LG and HP which means the companies working together will be easier.

Fourth, LG isnt really in bed with android yet.

Samsung has their Galaxy Tab 10 and many many phones that currently run android. Theyre proud of their android accomplishments. LG on the other hand, isnt quite in bed with android yet. This would make them a great partner to give webos the attention it deserves (and consequently HP demands). This allows LG to adapt to webos much easier and most likely, quicker.

Fifth, LG is HUGE

LG is the 3rd largest cell phone manufacturer just behind Nokia (Microsoft) and Samsung (android). In 2010 they manufactured almost 117 MILLION cell phones. This would put HP instantly in the top 3 cell phone manufacturers with webos on LG phones.

They are one of the main manufacturers of IPS panels (the ones they make are actually used by Apple, Asus and dell)

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
65fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, modelck, sledge007 and 1 others like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 10/24/2012, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Prophetic!
tomdryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, PrinceAlbert, OldSkoolVWLover and 1 others like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 10/25/2012, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

HAHAHAHA this is awesome I forgot about this thread.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 10/25/2012, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's been almost a month since they were last on......wonder if they'll come back for an "I told you so"?
Old 10/25/2012, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rnp

#onlystrongunderstand

Best Regards...
Old 10/25/2012, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdryan View Post
Prophetic!
Thanks for bumping this up. The OP was quite good...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

make sure they have your current mailing address for the referral fee payment!
Old 10/26/2012, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
make sure they have your current mailing address for the referral fee payment!
if LG can't contact they can contact me I'll gladly give my address where I can safely hold on to the payment

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

LG is making an OpenWebOS TV so that's already happening.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post

Fourth, LG isnt really in bed with android yet.

Samsung has their Galaxy Tab 10 and many many phones that currently run android. Theyre proud of their android accomplishments. LG on the other hand, isnt quite in bed with android yet. This would make them a great partner to give webos the attention it deserves (and consequently HP demands). This allows LG to adapt to webos much easier and most likely, quicker.
Now that begs the questions, today Google announced a new partnership with LG to make their smartphones that runs on Android 4.2 operating system. I'm wandering if this new business with Google/LG could alter their thinking of getting involve with WebOS at all, and also if these new phones from Android manufactured by LG comes to be successful....could it force LG to look elsewhere and continue to deepen their ties with Google ?
Old 10/29/2012, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Now that begs the questions, today Google announced a new partnership with LG to make their smartphones that runs on Android 4.2 operating system. I'm wandering if this new business with Google/LG could alter their thinking of getting involve with WebOS at all, and also if these new phones from Android manufactured by LG comes to be successful....could it force LG to look elsewhere and continue to deepen their ties with Google ?
If they do already make some Android phones, with or without Google's nexus, they are still cookie-cutter android phones with only incremental improvements. There's one Apple with its iPhone, but if there's 5 or so Android phone manufacturers, you kind of have a lottery, there is less chance of an "iconic" device... I hope you see what i mean. It becomes a commodity, like a sandwich. Manufacturers become interchangeable.

So i think the deal with Google is for money only, it's Google's "Google Phone" and not so much of an LG flagship device.

I think LG will still keep WebOS "in the cards" so to speak. What Google gives, Google takes away. There's no guarantees in terms of who will build the next Nexus, and LG will probably want to be independent enough to exist on its own.

Now, WebOS is a gamble in itself. It doesn't have the commodity status of Android, but regardless of its Wow factor, lacks many of the apps and kind of "doesn't exist"... people won't know enough to go and by a phone because of WebOS... unless they've owned one before.

Now, a user doesn't need 10,000 apps... 50 apps is enough for the average person, but the psychological factor kind of overshadows that. I think if we'll have enough "million dollar" quality apps to demo, WebOS can be made attractive enough, like the iPhone, like Microsoft Surface... Android is "sliced bread", WebOS is eye-catching... it just doesn't have the momentum in the marketplace.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
LG is making an OpenWebOS TV so that's already happening.
Look at the date on the OP, this was bumped because of the TV rumors.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Look at the date on the OP, this was bumped because of the TV rumors.
Considering the date, you could almost say it was necro'd, but it's not to say that it deserves a scare graphic, because the topic is certainly worthy

Ok, for the graphic go here, i don't want to hotlink.. Thread Necromancer - Television Tropes & Idioms
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 01:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Lets put Open webOS on the new LG NEXUS 4!!! And show them what webOS could bring to them as a HUGE differentiation factor for their devices.
LG webOS TV "touching-to-share" with an LG Nexus 4 -or Optimus W-... Daydream! ;-)
Searching channels from a "card view" while multitasking with my LG webOS powered device!
I'm all into it!!! :-D
ajguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 11/15/2012, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Was very excited to hear about this & after reading the article here on OSNation it just makes that much more sense! Maybe not printers running it but I would def. check out a tv using it & seeing how things worked out. Great first post.
plyboult is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0