1.    #1  
    I just have to vent, since I know you guys will understand. I've vented to my husband who's moved onto Android, and he can't fathom why I still believe in webOS. Therefore...he doesn't really care.

Since the announcement of the iPhone, I wanted a touchscreen smartphone, however, I also wanted a physical keyboard. To complicate things more...I wanted a portrait slider, but no viable options were to be found on Sprint prior to 2009. Despite the virtual keypboard, I was exceedingly jealous when the iPhone came out on AT&T, and remember thinking how Sprint never got the "good" phones. As such, when Sprint announced the Pre in early 2009, I was simply ecstatic! That was even before I learned about the awesomeness that is webOS.

On launch day, I waited in line with other anxious, soon-to-be-Pre owners, and when I finally got to hold my new phone, it was "love at first hold". From that time, I've toyed around with developing apps for the Pre, but never really got around to completing any of them (especially now that HP changed the SDK). I joined several webOS communities, and became an early adopter of the fantastic homebrew patches and apps. In other words, my love and support for webOS continued to grow.

Echoing some of what P|C posted about the Sprint users a few days ago, I was annoyed with the lack of webOS support from Sprint and saw the Pre+ and Pre2 go to other providers. However, my hope was renewed with the hoopla surrounding the announcement back in February. My contract would expire on 6/6/11, so maybe there would be an even better webOS phone on Sprint by that time! Unlike a lot of people, I was excited about the products announced as the Pre3 looked perfect for me! It was a little annoying not having any concrete dates or providers communicated, but I'm a patient person. Then, we learned about the discontinuation of Pre- support. I was hurt, but still loyal to webOS.

Fast forward to today. I've come to terms that the Pre3 will not be coming to Sprint. Therefore, I've been pricing out individual plans on Verizon (which works out to the same price I'm currently paying). Yeah, I'll have limited data, but I never go over 2GB a month anyway. While I do use Sprint Navigation on occasion, I don't use it enough to justify paying for it from another provider. Anyway, to keep the excitement going, I decided to visit several Verizon stores to check out the Pre2 since I wanted to experience the updated design and webOS 2.1. Sadly, none of the stores even have Pre2s in stock. I then visited an AT&T store to see the Veer, and was surprised to actually find one to play with. While the phone was cute, it's way too small for me...plus it's on AT&T which I believe to be the crappiest provider in St. Louis.

I then began get excited about the Touchpad. I could definitely use a tablet for my home business (more on that in a bit), and want to see what the TP was like before ordering one. I visited a couple of Walmarts and Best Buys and not one of them had a display unit for me to review. One store even said they would get 5 in for Black Friday. Really? November? So frustrating!

Then the TP reviews start hitting today, and I get to see several shots of the Pre3 paired with the Touchpad. Much to my chagrin, the Pre3s are displaying AT&T in the upper left. I know nothing's beens officially announced, but it definitely seems like AT&T will be the first provider to get the phone I've been waiting for. Again, I'm frustrated because I do not like AT&T, and I just got comfortable with switching to Verizon.

To further complicate all of this, I really need a mobile credit card processing device for my home business. I've contacted two of the leading companies who have created card swiping tools (that plug into the headphone jack of iPhones and Android devices) to see if they'll soon provide support for webOS. The response from both has unfortunately been "no". This means the Touchpad will not benefit me or my business, so I won't be getting one. Since the pricing is the same as an iPad2, I'm more tempted to go with that tablet.

Ugh. I really want to stay with webOS. I'd like to get another webOS phone, and am patiently waiting to find out where the Pre3 ultimately lands. However, if it's AT&T, it'll take something huge to get me to go with them. I guess I could hold out and see if Verizon eventually gets the phone, but my current Pre- is starting to show it's age (random shut downs, inconsistent charging, serious lag, etc). While I do have some back up Pre minuses, I'm also ready for something new and fresh with more features.

Anyway, I know a lot of this has been talked about before, but it just seems like whatever I do to stay on webOS becomes more complicated than it needs to be. My friends and family simply don't understand why I'm so determined to stay with this OS despite it's lack of support, apps, and devices. It's quite embarassing at times, really.

I just want a great portrait slider with webOS on a good network. Is that really so much to ask?

Thanks for staying with me this long!

</end of rant>

Karla
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    My friends and family simply don't understand why I'm so determined to stay with this OS despite it's lack of support, apps, and devices. It's quite embarassing at times, really.
    lol
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

If using a CC on tab is essential get an IP and come back to webOS in a year when we have that app. Or buy TP and get a dedicated card reader . Find out the cost difference and willingness to spend extra. I think pre-3 will come out both on Verizon and ATT, though att maybe a month earlier.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    If using a CC on tab is essential get an IP and come back to webOS in a year when we have that app. Or buy TP and get a dedicated card reader . Find out the cost difference and willingness to spend extra. I think pre-3 will come out both on Verizon and ATT, though att maybe a month earlier.
    Yeah, I do need to research options a little more. I really like Square, but they "seem" to have washed their hands of webOS. I played with an iPad2 while waiting on a Best Buy salesperson to see if they had any TPs in stock. I must say, it's a pretty slick device and would do everything I need. However, even though I use a macbook at home, I'm no apple fangirl.

If I can get a Pre3, I'll at least be able to have my webOS fix while using an Android or IOS tablet. I'd rather not be an early adopter of the TP at this point since there seems many areas of improvement needed.

Karla
    You don't have to label yourself to be a phanboy to buy one product. If iPad 2 server your daily task, get it. Or if TP can provide everything you need then get it. Or you can just buy iPad 2 and then sell it when TP is ready. One good thing about Apple product, they got amazing resell price.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    Yeah, I do need to research options a little more. I really like Square, but they "seem" to have washed their hands of webOS. I played with an iPad2 while waiting on a Best Buy salesperson to see if they had any TPs in stock. I must say, it's a pretty slick device and would do everything I need. However, even though I use a macbook at home, I'm no apple fangirl.

If I can get a Pre3, I'll at least be able to have my webOS fix while using an Android or IOS tablet. I'd rather not be an early adopter of the TP at this point since there seems many areas of improvement needed.

Karla
    seriously find out what a dedicated and independent wifi enabled CC box would cost you. Then you are free to buy any tablet.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yep specially with tethering... with att on a pre3 or just a 3g touchpad will work for u if u need a decidicated reader. i use bank of america. its all web based, of course i dont have a card reader.... but i dont run enough transactoins to really have it bother me and its cheaper than both square and quickbooks.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  8.    #8  
    I'm not very familiar with dedicated card readers. Square is nice since customers can sign on the mobile device with their finger or a stylus. Pretty sweet!

If anyone recommends a particular card reader, I'll definitely check it out. Still though, I just wish Square or Intuit would just build an app for webOS already that works with a reader. Le sigh...

Karla