1.    #1  
    i have seen palm pres being upgraded to 2.0 using metadoctor......is this recommended? Does it have to be over-clocked? What are some consequences? Thanks a bunch. This is my first thread so sorry if posted in wrong spot......
    if you are into linux and you like to tinker and play around with your phone then go for it!...if you dont then dont...
    For me it was definitely worth it, but it was fairly unstable on my pre-. I upgraded to a pre+ and it runs like it was made to. I didn't even overclock it for a few weeks. I had to overclock it on my pre- immediately. Its a lot of fun to use and I think it drastically improves functionality. Especially with all of the patch support now. If you decide to do it, make sue you donated to webOSinternals. They and the rest of the homebrew community make it so much fun to own this phone.
  4.    #4  
    yea i have a pre minus and was wondering if it was worth the trouble...i only wanted it for the flash....THANKS!!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Short answer: no. It must be overclocked or my phone is useless. Email, browser, and Universe all have trouble running with anything else open (stacks don't do much when multitasking locks the phone up). Most importantly for the OP, flash is almost useless. Also, I cannot update my PRL. Meta'd devices have no legal access to sprint nav.

Do I mind all of this? Sometimes, but I like just type and accessing 2.x apps, plus my profile cannot return to 1.4.5 now. I wanted to tinker, so I did it. If you do, too, do it knowing for everything you like you'll have at least one thing that you don't because it doesn't work right.

Most importantly: there are reasons it could be worth it, but flash is not among them for original Pre devices.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ive been using 2.1 on my sprint pre- for months but ive put up with its bugs for wayyy too long, im dr'ing back to 1.4.5 for now until hp comes out with something solid. i really liked 2.1 but the pros just couldnt outweigh the cons
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I don't know if I want to try my profile going back to 1.4.5, otherwise I've thought about going back. Honestly I'm considering building a new doctor on updated scripts (including PRL) and starting 2.1 fresh. I don't know if it'd be worth it. I'm sorry to hear others are struggling, too.

My assessment is that the phone just lacks the RAM to work properly.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netzer119 View Post
    ive been using 2.1 on my sprint pre- for months
    Yeah, I did mine within a couple of weeks of the original scripts (was that in early March? Seems like its been forever) so its been a couple months for me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TRoss View Post
    Yeah, I did mine within a couple of weeks of the original scripts (was that in early March? Seems like its been forever) so its been a couple months for me, too.

Tross--exactly what scripts did you run? Did you just simply follow the steps in WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals Is it that simple?
    It actually works fantastic if you're using the device as a WiFi only deal, but once the cell radio is being used it HAS to be overclocked, and even at 1.1GHz it's pretty rough, and I think it has to do with how memory is handled, which the Pre+ has the advantage because it has double the memory.

I think it's worth it because you're not "left behind" as much, and you get access to some of the new 2.x apps. Just Type and other 2.x features pretty much make it worth it.

If you need help running the meta doctor let me know I'd be glad to help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    yes, thank you Jake.
    While the steps in the webosinternals page arent overly difficult, I am being told that a script exists that does it all in 1 shot. Is that what you used? Where can it be found and shared with all of us Pre- users?