1.    #1  
    This is still possible...kinda.

EDIT: I only have worked with images on the Pre+. Due to the pixi and veers screen size, I don't know if the images are smaller on those devices. Until I know for sure, this is mainly for Pre-, Pre+ and Pre 2.

First remove all icons from the quick launch bar.

Download and extract the "Replacement Images" zip file.

Take the image named "icon.png" and use webOS Quick Install to send the file to /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher

Next take the image named "quick_launch_background.png" and send it to /usr/palm/sysmgr/images

When finished, do a luna restart.

This doesnt get rid of the launcher in any way. It is simply replacing the images with invisible ones. The launcher still works like normal if you tap in the right spot.

If you decide you dont want to keep it that way, download and extract the "Originals" zip file and repeat the process with those images.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jsgraphicart; 06/15/2011 at 07:55 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Just wanted to share an example of how it looks. This along with the patch that gets rid of the just type bar should give your home screen a clean look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Perfect example of a downgrade from 1.4.5...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinhead-227 View Post
    Perfect example of a downgrade from 1.4.5...
    Agree. Not happy with the locked-up Launcher in 2.x. Do you suppose it has something to do with the TP debut? Trying to keep some sort of UI consistency at that level?
    There's another way to hide it! Don't think anyone's seen this before.
    Swipe up, show the launcher. Then, very slowly and carefully, swipe the leftmost launcher page to the right off the screen.
    If you do it right, it'll 'stick' right outside the screen, leaving you with no quick launch bar and no launcher showing.

(If no one else gets this to work I'll post a video.)
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Swipe up, show the launcher. Then, very slowly and carefully, swipe the leftmost launcher page to the right off the screen.
    If you do it right, it'll 'stick' right outside the screen, leaving you with no quick launch bar and no launcher showing.

Couldn't do it. Video please
    I would try replacing the images, but if I have no quick launch bar I would want wave launcher.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Agree. Not happy with the locked-up Launcher in 2.x. Do you suppose it has something to do with the TP debut? Trying to keep some sort of UI consistency at that level?
    I thought I read in some random comment that the launcher was moved from one area of the phone to another. One that cant be patched. The move made the launcher more responsive and smoother. Thats what I read anyway. Could be wrong. lol.
  9.    #9  

I couldnt get this to work either. How does it come back? Just a swipe up again?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I would try replacing the images, but if I have no quick launch bar I would want wave launcher.
    Yeah thats the only bad thing about this. You have to keep the quick launch bar empty. You can still put apps down there but that defeats the whole purpose of this. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Yeah thats the only bad thing about this. You have to keep the quick launch bar empty. You can still put apps down there but that defeats the whole purpose of this. lol
    What if it was possible to have an image that could cover the app icons but wave was still possible
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    What if it was possible to have an image that could cover the app icons but wave was still possible
    I dont think thats possible. I think that would mean an image would have to be ADDED to the launcher to cover the quick launch bar. That plus a patch to have the OS see the image. But the launcher cant be patched so I dont think it can be done. Thats all in theory though. Im not a developer. I just know with the images provided, that cant be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I couldnt get this to work either. How does it come back? Just a swipe up again?
    Yes, that's how.
    I tried this again and I can't get it to work either. Consider it a bug rather than a feature. Rest assured I have seen it work once or twice before.

Got it to work after a dozen tries. Take it off the edge on the right hand side. If it doesn't pop back, you've got it. "Normal" behavior returns after using launch wave or launcher, so this is not an elegant solution by any means. Nice find, though.

EDIT: Got it to work from the "last page, left side" perspective as well. It is not easy to get it there! And I didn't have drag down.
    Last edited by ego2001; 12/11/2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Prē