1.    #1  
    NOTE: Testing this could put your phone into a state where reboot doesn't work and you have to pull the battery. Some users reported symptoms like this before. DO NOT TEST THIS unless you are comfortable with that risk.

This is not a new bug - but reports about it were never very controlled they involved too many variables.

I have tested today and found that I can lock up the Luna UI by creating a reply chain of emails back and forth with another user. My test bed was a VZW Pre Plus running 1.4.5.1 and a FrankenPre2 (Sprint Com board in VZW Pre2) running 2.1. My friend with the Pre2 sent an email containing nothing more than the number 1; then I sent back the number 2; on a few messages we were more creative with things like "fore" for 4.

Eventually when I received message 15 and hit reply (making this the 8th back and forth) my phone became so unresponsive that it appeared locked up. The card containing the email could not be flicked away - screen taps would appear only after a l-o-n-g delay (a minute?). I was able to press OPT/SYM/R to reboot - however since I was also running F102A with OMG? VDEMAND I think something went wrong because it seemed to go into a fade to black death rather than a reboot. To be fair I had waited several minutes before I rebooted and the VDEMAND code may have been really ****ed off - I don't know.

I do know that opening the same email after a fresh reboot with VDEMAND set to MEDIUM still locked the UI up and when rebooted it did NOT cause the fade to black under voltage failure. On that reboot I reacted more quickly and didn't wait minutes.

I then tried sending a number of emails further using my PC to my friends Pre2 - it never crashed. There were some slowdowns but nothing significant.

However I can also confirm that this seems to have altered the email enough not to crash my phone. The emails sent afterwords using the PC browser when opened never crashed my phone. The 15th email when I reply still crashes it.

I have all the emails, and would be willing to work with someone further to validate these results.

Considering this has been around for at least a year I'm kinda sad that Palm never fixed it. I can guess that this is related to webkit and the improvements/changes in webkit in 2.1 seem to have resolved this.

One more item of interest. My mobile hotspot was in use during this test - the Pre2 was using my internet to do this test. The mobile hotspot did NOT stop working until I rebooted. This is what leads me to think this is LUNA not Linux that is hosed and since LUNA relies on webkit to render much of the OS UI this seems to make sense.

Additional items that could be tested:

Open a terminal window and monitor linux swap use.
    Get logs.
    I have had the same issue, I wrote it up on the Developer Forum a while back. it seems like after 8-9 email replies the UI starts having issues and things begin to become less responsive. The email chain for me was between a stock Palm pre running 1.4.5 and an Iphone,
    I tried it with my Sprint Pre and gave up after 20 replies, no problems
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I tried it with my Sprint Pre and gave up after 20 replies, no problems
    What device/format email was the other end of the conversation on?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    I have had the same issue, I wrote it up on the Developer Forum a while back. it seems like after 8-9 email replies the UI starts having issues and things begin to become less responsive. The email chain for me was between a stock Palm pre running 1.4.5 and an Iphone,
    My daughter had this happen in a iPod Touch user which I am sure is quite similar.
    it must have to do with mobile email formatting and how it is handled. What Email service were being used during the replies? gmail, hotmail, exchange server.....

Mine was gmail on Pre to gmail on Iphone. I have not tested other services to see if they also fail.
    I have this problem when I talk to my friend, he has a Blackberry.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    it must have to do with mobile email formatting and how it is handled. What Email service were being used during the replies? gmail, hotmail, exchange server.....

Mine was gmail on Pre to gmail on Iphone. I have not tested other services to see if they also fail.
    GMX.com based email to a private gmail domain (not gmail.com but hosted by google). The other (palm to iPod Touch) I'm not sure what domain the iPod users had but I can check - the Palm side of the conversation was gmx.com.

I can repeat this test with a different domain if needed.
    I have experienced the same issue from an aol account to another aol account. It would grind things to a halt. Not seeing it yet on my Pre 2.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I have this problem when I talk to my friend, he has a Blackberry.
    It is easy to defeat it. Just don't reply when the reply chain starts to add up. Create a new email and start a new chain.

Also the problem doesn't just happen without warning (unless you go back and open the email again). As the reply chain grows the UI starts to slow down in successive replies. Eventually it just freezes - but before this you seem to get some danger signs. The UI gets laggy but in a way that is different from normal lag - it's hard to describe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    It is easy to defeat it. Just don't reply when the reply chain starts to add up. Create a new email and start a new chain.

Also the problem doesn't just happen without warning (unless you go back and open the email again). As the reply chain grows the UI starts to slow down in successive replies. Eventually it just freezes - but before this you seem to get some danger signs. The UI gets laggy but in a way that is different from normal lag - it's hard to describe.
    Yes, but it's quite annoying. I never had this issue even with my old Centro and ChatterEmail.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I was the other guy that Unclevanya was testing with. We were unable to replicate the problem on my Sprint FrankenPre2 running webOS 2.1. So whatever this bug was in 1.x appears to have been fixed in 2.1.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I was the other guy that Unclevanya was testing with. We were unable to replicate the problem on my Sprint FrankenPre2 running webOS 2.1. So whatever this bug was in 1.x appears to have been fixed in 2.1.
    I wonder if the fact that the launcher in 1.x is based on Javascript and the launcher in 2.x is compiled code has more to do with this than anything?
    This bug exists on my meta-doctored 2.1 Sprint Pre-. Hotmail iPod Touch/Desktop to AOL Pre-.

Also loading up a Report Problem email through Mode Switcher usually causes extremely slow down since it's appending a chunk of the messages file log.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    This bug exists on my meta-doctored 2.1 Sprint Pre-. Hotmail iPod Touch/Desktop to AOL Pre-.

Also loading up a Report Problem email through Mode Switcher usually causes extremely slow down since it's appending a chunk of the messages file log.

Can you be more specific? One what message does it lock up? Does it do so consistently? If you reopen the same message but do not reply does it work OK? If you reply does it lock up again? Can you reboot - how?

What kernel are you running? Do you have any email patches loaded? (I have the delete from notification and the send all contacts via email patches loaded myself).