Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just purchased a PalmPre Plus and am I confused.

The shiny box says MP3 player. The Music menu says Playlist, etc. The Palm help person spent almost two hours trying to get a Windows Media Player playlist into the PrePlus and finally said something about iTunes and it was no longer possible.

So I found a thread that that discussed Amigo Music Player. For reasons that are unclear I was not able to download it. It had a link to Neato, whatever that was.

So I purchased Neato because it was somehow supposed to help with the download. Neato downloaded but it does not work because it needs some cods and it has NO DOCUMENTATION -- apparently you are supposed to understand what/how/why it is used and how it works.

At this point I feel like a rank novice newbie.

Can anyone point me to some documents that I should read or provide some notions on how I can get a playlist set up in the PalmPre Plus??
    You should download music player remix, its easy to set up playlist with it.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    +1

neato! is more for say you are looking at a website on your computer and you need to leave the house....you highlight the address bar, push your neato! button that's in your favorites bar and a link will be sent to your phone, like magic

You can also do the reverse, and you can also send links back and forth between other neato users.

You will probably need to get Music Player Remix from Preware, as you are on a Pre Plus.

You need to download and install webOS Quick Installer(WOSQI) which can be found on the first post of this thread:http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-1-1-a.html

You then need to put your phone into developer mode:

Your phone will restart.

Start webOS Quick Install v4.1
    Connect your phone (in Dev Mode with "Just Charge") via USB
    Install Preware on your phone
    Find Music Player (Remix) --MPR and install to your phone
    Love life.

Oya read this thread for more great tips:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

Plug your phone into your PC via USB and hit "Charge Only"

Install Preware from WOSQI
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    This might be easier for you to follow:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    1. Preparation:
    • You will need a PC or Mac that is connected to the internet, and the USB cable that came with your phone.
    • Use this link to make sure you have the latest version of Java running on your computer. Update your Java to the latest version if needed.
    • Download the Universal Novacom Installer from Canuck Coding to your computer.
    • Download the Preware Installer to your computer.

2. Install Novacom Drivers on your computer

Run the Universal Novacom Installer program now to install the drivers needed for your computer to recognize your webOS device.

Choose the “download” option. The installer will download the appropriate Novacom drivers.

After downloading, the correct Novacom drivers will be installed on your computer.

3. Put your phone is Developer Mode
    • All versions of webOS can be placed in developer mode by using the keyboard to type “webos20090606” without the quotes. (Note: There are other codes and methods, but this is the shortest and easiest to remember because it’s the date that the first webOS was launched). If you had an iPhone or Droid, you’d be doing something scary like Jailbreaking or Rooting. But, Palm created Dev Mode to make things easy for developers.

• Tap the Dev mode app and turn the switch “on”. If your phone is running webOS version 1.x it will force your phone to reboot. Devices running 2.x and higher will simply hesitate for a few seconds and then continue operating normally. If it asks you about a password, ignore it and just tap the “submit” button. You are now in developer mode and there is no harm in leaving it this way.

4. Install Preware:
    • Plug your phone in to a USB port on your computer.
    • Choose “just charge” when the phone prompts you.
    • Run the Preware Installer program you previously downloaded.
    [img]http://forums.precentral.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=58086&stc=1&d=1307647465[img]

• After installation, you will find the Preware app icon on your device at the bottom of the left-most launcher page.
    • Tap the Preware icon. Tap “Yes” when asked about file association.

After loading various feeds, you will see a catalog of apps and patches for you to explore.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/10/2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    You should download music player remix, its easy to set up playlist with it.
    I whole heartedly agree. Follow the steps to get Preware up and running and then download music player remix. It has both a Playlist and flylist option. So you can create a playlist and copy it over to your phone or you can create a flylist which is basically the same thing just easier to set up from inside the player.
  6.    #6  
    First, thanks to all the great folks who responded -- it is much appreciated.

I went to install the Preware that was downloaded and got an error message "Unable to fine WebOS Doctor.jar file. Ensure it is in the same directory as this file and try again.

There must be something that I am missing here or an environment difference. Any hints??
    2. Install Novacom Drivers on your computer
    --Run the Universal Novacom Installer program now to install the drivers needed for your computer to recognize your webOS device.
    --Choose the “download” option. The installer will download the appropriate Novacom drivers.
    --After downloading, the correct Novacom drivers will be installed on your computer.

Did you follow these steps before running WOSQI? I'm pretty sure this is when you get the webOSDoctor.jar downloaded to your PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bains99 View Post
    First, thanks to all the great folks who responded -- it is much appreciated.

I went to install the Preware that was downloaded and got an error message "Unable to fine WebOS Doctor.jar file. Ensure it is in the same directory as this file and try again.

There must be something that I am missing here or an environment difference. Any hints??
    You didn't choose the "download" option.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks again to those who are helping.

Failure again. The only difference possibly is that this environment is Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit OS.

I uninstalled Novacom drivers and rebooted. Using cmd line interface I ran the Universal Novacom Installer with administrator privileges.

It took a while and then downloaded about 4 mb of drivers and said it installed them.

Ran the PrewareInstaller-1.5.0 and got the same message -- Unable to find the WebOS Doctor.jar file.

Ran a search on the C:\ drive -- 175 .jar files but none named WebOS Doctor.jar file.

My intuition says that I am missing something very simple here but I cannot figure out what that would be.
    webosdoctor and webos quickinstall have to be in the same folder
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the hint.

OK -- that is doable. But my problem is that apparently I am so inexperienced with this platform that I do not understand how to install/get webosdoctor.

Is that a separate download or ??
    Were you able to download and install the novacom drivers and set the phone to Developer mode?

Try the alternative way of installing preware.

open up cmd prompt and and type in

novacom -t open tty://

once you are on the webos prompt
    type each of the commands

cd /tmp
    wget ht$tp://bit dot ly/preware-bootstrap (replace dot with "." and remove "$" im not able to post a link yet)
    sh preware-bootstrap

you will then see the preware icon on your pre..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bains99 View Post
    Thanks for the hint.

OK -- that is doable. But my problem is that apparently I am so inexperienced with this platform that I do not understand how to install/get webosdoctor.

Is that a separate download or ??
    did u get preware installed.?
  15.    #15  
    Thanks again for your help.

I downloaded the drivers and Preware on the Windows based PC, not the phone itself. Is that correct?

Yes I was able to get the phone into Developer Mode.

To XappA -- you suggested opening a cmd prompt I believe on the phone itself. I am not an expert in what we used to refer to as the Unix systems (an old fashioned term these days). I am not and feel very uncomfortable fiddling around at the cmd level on the phone itself.

To Cantaffordit -- I did not get Preware installed. I Ran the PrewareInstaller-1.5.0 on the PC and got the -- Unable to find the WebOS Doctor.jar file.

Now for the obvious question by the inexperienced -- was I supposed to be doing this on the phone itself??
    u are correct to do them on the PC. Did you successfully install the novacom drivers?

If you need to download the webOS doctor, you can find the correct version here:
    Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
  17.    #17  
    I believe I did successfully installed the novacom drivers. They recognized the 64 bit platform and are listed in Control Panel as installed.

I am currently downloading the Webos Doctor version for this phone -- large download and my Internet is sort of slow. Will take about 30 minutes. It is going to the same directory as the Preware Installer software.

Do you think that it is this download file that the Preware Installer keeps complaining about?
    I assume that I do not execute it on the PC platform but merely have it in the same directory as the Preware Installer.

I will advise latter on the results -- post if I am incorrect.

Thanks.
  18.    #18  
    Everyone has been very helpful and I probably have overstayed my welcome here.

At this point when I start the PreWareInstaller there are no error messages as before. WebosDoctor.jar is in the same directory -- the download had a long file name that was renamed to WebosDoctor.jar.

Phone is in Developer Mode and restarted. Battery charging mode selected.

Click on the PreWareInstaller and it does something and instantly exits.
    Ran from the command line with administrator privileges and same result.

You folks have been very helpful and if you have a notion let me know.

On an editorial note I cannot understand how HP thinks they are going to make market progress when a simple feature like this does not work. Is something in the works to fix this for the future??
    Preware is nothing to do with HP.
    restart the novacom drivers and try again. And Preware is a creation of 15 guys spread throughout the world, and they have nothing to do with Palm or HP. That's homebrew. And don't forget to donate to them because they spend their own time and money for development, servers, etc.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/12/2011 at 09:24 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast