Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    I was reading one of Rod Whitby comments over at WOR and it got me thinking. Rod and a few others have invested tons and tons of time into WebOS. They are the main reason for homebrew. They help make WebOS one of the greatest Mobile OS. I have always had the utmost respect for Rod and the WebOS Internals Group. Rod has always wanted the best for this community and this OS and has always stuck to the values of opensource and high morality. He is a great source of knowledge and most of the time when he makes comment or leaves messages they are only based on the information. Very rarely have I ever seen Rod give his option.

    This is a very important time for HP/Palm and WebOS. It is going from a tiny group of devoted users to potentially being one of the top Mobile platforms. There are tons of changes happening with many new products and devices. Since rod has been around from the early days of only the Palm Pre I would like to hear his option about where WebOS has been and his vision back in the day and how it compares to where it is now. Also I would like to know how he feels about HP's grand plan, does he want WebOS to be the top platform, does he want it to be more enterprise oriented, does he care for the cloud and connectivity? Does he want a 4" slab phone, does he plan on getting a tablet? Is HP moving in the right direction and does he see homebrew continuing to grow in the right direct that aligns with HP? Is there anything that he has concerns about regarding future hardware, software, Services, and so. If HP does move away from embracing homebrew would he leave and go to another platform?

    Some of these might have already been answer and I am sure there are many more questions that everyone would like to ask Rod. Feel free to to add them and maybe he will be kind enough to answer a few.
  2. #2  
    For a start follow him on Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    For a start follow him on Twitter
    I know of his twitter account but like I said in the original post the great majority of his posts even on his twitter are strictly informational. There are very rare occasions of him giving his thoughts on any of these topics. That is why I wanted to make a thread specific just for his opinions.
  4. #4  
    I agree. I would like to think of 'Rod' as a person & not a data base. No offense Rod.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
  5. #5  
    Rod often posts his views on Twitter, and gets into arguments about America being part of the empire :P
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Rod often posts his views on Twitter, and gets into arguments about America being part of the empire :P
    You forgot US date formats and product releases being announced using northern hemisphere seasons ...

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #7  
    Don't bring up that metric nonsense Jason!
  8. #8  
    Just to get this straight, if you flush a Touchpad down a drain in Australia as a protest of unavailability, will it spin clockwise or counterclockwise?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Just to get this straight, if you flush a Touchpad down a drain in Australia as a protest of unavailability, will it spin clockwise or counterclockwise?
    I believe it will just sit there and maybe even get stuck if the drain is big enough.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You forgot US date formats and product releases being announced using northern hemisphere seasons ...

    -- Rod
    So you're saying the Touchpad was actually released on 01/07/2011, which is January 7th...before the product was announced???
    Last edited by Jakeeeee; 06/09/2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Just to get this straight, if you flush a Touchpad down a drain in Australia as a protest of unavailability, will it spin clockwise or counterclockwise?
    If you float a giant burning raft of $(A)100 bills out into Port Lincoln, which way do the flames go?
  12. #12  
    Quite frankly, I think Rod got tired of complaining. There was a week or two when he keep constantly reminding HP of their ridiculous App Catalog policies (although there are many, many, many ridiculous policies, he was specifically talking about georestrictions). Nothing has come from that at all, so why waste your time when they won't listen?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Quite frankly, I think Rod got tired of complaining. There was a week or two when he keep constantly reminding HP of their ridiculous App Catalog policies (although there are many, many, many ridiculous policies, he was specifically talking about georestrictions). Nothing has come from that at all, so why waste your time when they won't listen?
    Actually, I just created Impostah instead.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Quite frankly, I think Rod got tired of complaining. There was a week or two when he keep constantly reminding HP of their ridiculous App Catalog policies (although there are many, many, many ridiculous policies, he was specifically talking about georestrictions). Nothing has come from that at all, so why waste your time when they won't listen?
    They are listening. Richard Kerris has replied.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    So you're saying the Touchpad was actually released on 01/07/2011, which is January 7th...before the product was announced???
    maybe mmddyyyy is the actual reason why it's been taking so long.

    still doesn't change anything about the fact that yyyymmdd is the ONLY logical format, used by absolutely nobody outside a tiny group of rabid nerds.

    yyyymmdd - the webOS of date formats
  16. #16  
    Seconds elapsed since 1970/01/01 00:00:00 is the way ahead.
  17. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

    still doesn't change anything about the fact that yyyymmdd is the ONLY logical format, used by absolutely nobody outside a tiny group of rabid nerds.
    Everyone I work with (mostly nerds) think I am a serious nerd for using this date format. Until I sort the 300 revisions to a project schedule and tada - they are in order. {insert wimpy nerd laugh here}
    Dan
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    maybe mmddyyyy is the actual reason why it's been taking so long.

    still doesn't change anything about the fact that yyyymmdd is the ONLY logical format, used by absolutely nobody outside a tiny group of rabid nerds.

    yyyymmdd - the webOS of date formats
    Actually the Japanese format the date that way.
    And programmers like that for internal representation because it makes for easier sorting and it makes the meaning obvious.

    ddmmyyyy makes some sense for everyday use because it puts the most useful data first (and with context you can often drop yyyy or even mm).

    mmddyyyy is really the only silly variant that makes no sense at all and leads to constant confusion with ddmmyyyy dates - unless one knows that it is an american date.

    I wonder how many international appointments/dates failed because of that formatting issue.

    As a programmer I want calendar systems to be abolished. I demand nanoseconds since the Big Bang instead. ;-)
    As a compromise I'll accept days since whatever. But none of this annoying month and leap year business (further complicated by christian, jewish, muslim, chinese, etc... calendaring variants). It's a PITA.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Actually the Japanese format the date that way.
    And programmers like that for internal representation because it makes for easier sorting and it makes the meaning obvious.
    Awesome, I didn't know that with the Japanese!

    The other bit of info I knew - hence the 'rabid nerds' comment
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    maybe mmddyyyy is the actual reason why it's been taking so long.

    still doesn't change anything about the fact that yyyymmdd is the ONLY logical format, used by absolutely nobody outside a tiny group of rabid nerds.

    yyyymmdd - the webOS of date formats
    There's a reason why that's one of the very few ISO standard date formats.

    ISO 8601 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions