Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a launch day Sprint Pre- owner who has (mostly) enjoyed my experience with WebOS. However, with my Sprint contract now expired, the iOS 5 announcement, and still no imminent sight of the Pre3, I am thinking more than ever about jumping ship.

My prior reasons for choosing WebOS over iOS were:
    1. General dislike of Apple and its business practices
    2. Multitasking
    3. Notifications
    4. Physical keyboard
    5. Sprint vs. (at the time) AT&T
    6. Open vs. closed archetecture

Apple has closed the gap, leaving me with numbers 1, 4, and 6 (and, of course, jailbreaking is a possibility). While I prefer Sprint for pricing, Verizon is acceptible to me as well (especially in lieu of a WebOS device on Sprint). Also, WebOS still does multitasking better, though we will see how the promised "flicking" works.

Meanwhile, the advantages to iOS for me are:

1. Apps - anyone who says there are not more quality and practical apps on iOS is kidding themselves (even though there is a lot of junk)
    2. Battery life
    3. Build quality
    4. Copy/paste
    5. More/better Google service (though not as good as Android, but see #2)
    6. Resale value - not often discussed, but a Palm Pre is worth about $10 today while an iPhone 3GS purchased the same day is worth 50-100.

What am I missing here? At this point, I am debating whether to pick up a $147 iPhone 4 at Wal Mart or to wait a few months and pit iPhone 4S/5 against a Pre3.
    I really like the Pre2 on verizon. That sounds like a good fit for you.
    Can't do much arguing with you.

The iCloud would seem, though, to lock someone into the IOS ecosystem so think carefully here. Once they reformat your mp3s into their codec which is automatic, you will not be able to upload them to Amazon's cloud. Given all that, you may wish to wait a few weeks to at least see what HP has to offer.
    I'm in your boat, only I am not going to leave Sprint, simply because it'd mean a month's rent over the course of the year. (Seriously, check carefully what it'll really cost you each month-especially, look at your last 6 months data use and see what it'll cost you on the competition)
    I've just finished a failed try with Android and the Nexus S 4G. Nope. I'll wait to see if either Pre3 or iPhone5 come to Sprint.
    If they both do... I may lean to the iPhone. The new updates (My brother is a dev and has the early access to iCloud and iOS5 and assures me that they are fantabulous) give you almost all you love about webOS. And, a sturdy phone with a great battery life. I personally don't mind the walled garden... after all, it is a pretty lush garden and there are some crappy things out there that I'm fine not having access to. (I'm looking at you, Flash)
    For me the dealbreaker will be the Touchpad. If it's great, I'll all-in with webOS. If not... The idea of dealing with two platforms every day is a little tedious. I've held back till now not buying a tablet until I see this.
    It all sounds good, and then I remember how much I didn't like iTunes. I've tried using it several times, and well, I just couldn't get into it. The whole reason I ended up with a Pre. (and the Androids at the time really weren't that appealing to me either... who knew they'd explode the way they did )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm also on the edge about whether to upgrade to the Pre3 or the iPhone 4/iOS 5. My reasons for thinking of leaving webOS may seem trivial but they are important for how I use my phone:

- possible problems with Google syncing on webOS 2.x. I'm still on a Pixi Plus so have 1.4.5 but I keep reading that people are having problems with the upgraded versions.
    - no calendar search ability natively
    - no dependable PDF viewing of e-mail attachments--it's hit and miss, usually miss for important ones,of course. I have to pull out my 1st gen iPod to read most of them, oy....
    - garbled contact notes since the upgrade to 1.4.5 which HPalm never fixed
    - browser no longer saves bookmarks or history

iOS doesn't appear to have these problems and iOS5 fixes some of the features it was missing so it's becoming more tempting.

Would I miss webOS multi-tasking, just type and it's general elegance? You bet! But the platform is starting to lag and I'm not sure just how committed HP is to the details of the productiveness of the operating system when they seem to be more focused on the big picture of connecting multiple products to sell more devices. If I con't count on my calendar entries to be correct what do I care if I can run a printer, television or toaster from my phone, ya know? Apple, at least, seems more committed to improving their user experience on their phones....
    I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend, take a seat in the nice warm comfy WebOS waiting lounge. Whatever you do, don't jump out into that dirty bustling Android Street. Bad things happen out there. Just take a seat with us while we wait for the better things. Everything's friendly and safe here, no-ones trying to steal your stuff or infect you with viruses.

Bonus points if you can spot the lyric and name the band/song.
    How 'bout the fact that you call it the "iPhone ledge" and not the "iPhone happy place"...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I'm about to do the same. I had drunk the kook aid here when I first got my pre, but since then, I've been introduced to iOS via the ipad. It was my first foray into appledom and I found the experience far more pleasant than what webos has to offer. I'm just about done having to hack, slash and patch my way through my phone. It just takes too much time and too much having to browse this forum which is nothing but 50% rumors of release dates and 50% bashing the other platforms.

Even if the pre3 succeeds, it'll still take years for apps to catch up to ios and android. I don't see webos being truly consumer friendly and viable for a very long time even in a best case senario. I've decided to wait a few more months for iphone5. At this point, I'm so ****ed off at HPalm, that I cannot justify giving them any more business. And I'm someone who's also converted a cadre of friends, but most them have switched by now. The rest leaves with me when iphone5 drops. There's nothing wrong with letting them know that they've failed the customer. Move on to something better.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend, take a seat in the nice warm comfy WebOS waiting lounge. Whatever you do, don't jump out into that dirty bustling Android Street. Bad things happen out there. Just take a seat with us while we wait for the better things. Everything's friendly and safe here, no-ones trying to steal your stuff or infect you with viruses.

Bonus points if you can spot the lyric and name the band/song.
    I am not sure I want imaginary and perhaps used bonus points, but it is from Third Eye Blind... song is Jumper.

Get it! I heard its a great phone!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I am not sure I want imaginary and perhaps used bonus points, but it is from Third Eye Blind... song is Jumper.
    Spot on.

0+j1 points to you.
    Yay

Jump Jump Jump Jump.

Reverse psychology.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    OK, so far, no one has given any concrete reasons not to jump off the ledge........
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    OK, so far, no one has given any concrete reasons not to jump off the ledge........
    Partly because the Pre3 is vaporware so far. You have to have a product available when the customer is ready to buy.

I have an iPhone 3Gs. It's been a good phone. My only gripe in 2 years has been when I upgraded to iOS4 and visual voice mail quit working for 2 months and Apple would not officially admit there was a problem. I wasted a heck of a lot of time trying to fix that on my own. Apple is very secretive, and sometimes too secretive.

But now after 2 years, the phone is starting to feel slow to respond - laggy, after all, 2 years is a long time in phone terms.

I've had iPhones for 4 years now and I just get the feeling it is time to try something different. I'm willing to try a Pre3 because the OS sounds better than Android and both Apple and Google seem a little too anxious to lock me into their own walled gardens.

Also I think companies that are not market leaders, like HP in the smartphone field, tend to try harder to please the customer than the fat cats do.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Also, the Pre3 is four letters while iPhone is six... less is more.

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I've been standing on that ledge for quite a while. Here's what I tell myself: "keyboard, keyboard, keyboard." I pick up one of my kids iPhones about once a week and think "I can live with a virtual keyboard." After about 5 minutes I put it down and say: "No I can't."
    Last edited by reidme; 06/08/2011 at 02:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    bring that Iphone to Sprint and pre3 who......
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Don't jump yet, iOS 5 isn't even out until fall.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast