Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Big carriers like Verizon do not like subscribers having access to apps like "Free Tether" so they want to have total control on what is being released to the user base.
    Unless HP makes some other (major) changes, what they are talking about won't prevent access to apps like Free Tether. You are intepreting this backwards.

"Other" sites will still be able to offer their own feeds (like PreWare offering Free Tether), but they won't be able to offer apps from the Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    lol how patient do they expect people to be! I'm fairly confident that a lot of the angst will blow over after launch, but a little transparency would be nice at this point.
    Absolutley they're wearing out people's patience. After all, this news has been out there what - 6 or 7 hours already. They should already have all of the answers to satisfy everyone, right?

/sarcasm
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    They talk all about this @ LAUNCH stuff, seriously there's no events going on unless they just pull one out of there wazoo.

All they are doing is just further alienating the one community that kept webOS alive. There just using the pore saps who stayed behind, while they develop a new world to leave everyone else out.

NO Make It Right.
    NO Upgrade Path.
    NO Kept Promises.
    NOTHING But Silence.

They sure know how to BUILD suspense in the community. More like building HATER'D towards the maker if you ask me.
    All of this is truly depressing, I can't imagine how HP will screw up the next time
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    actually i think I figured it out. Let's say HP partners with some big app vendors = kindle, shazam, quickoffice, netflix. CITRIX.

Um, I don't think those big corporations are gonna want their apps being published on precentral and a gazillion sites that rss feed access...precentral is cool but a rogue site would mean bad press.

So, I think these Fortune 500 companies probably demanded some of this.

I say its a good sign that some big name apps are gonna get published real soon! (i.e. touchpad launch)
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    actually i think I figured it out. Let's say HP partners with some big app vendors = kindle, shazam, quickoffice, netflix. CITRIX.

Um, I don't think those big corporations are gonna want their apps being published on precentral and a gazillion sites that rss feed access...precentral is cool but a rogue site would mean bad press.

So, I think these Fortune 500 companies probably demanded some of this.

I say its a good sign that some big name apps are gonna get published real soon! (i.e. touchpad launch)
    That's certainly a very positive attitude. On a separate note, I wonder how hard it is to port an IOS app to webOS. There's a new great app called Leafsnap which identifies trees and I would think this would be a very cool app for the HP swat team or some volunteer from webOS to support (developed by Smithsonian and Columbia University volunteers so might take a while otherwise to make it to webOS)

Scientists unveil new mobile app to identify trees - Yahoo! News
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I can't read your post seriously, I'm distracted by the attackpoodle moniker.

ps also speak for yourself, maybe we are the good looking ones
    Lake webOS-begone, where the wives (women) are strong and the husbands (men) are above-average looking....
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Lake webOS-begone, where the wives are strong and the men are above-average looking....
    Sounds good, invite me. I'm looking for a waterhole to hang out in the summer heat.
    well and is this new solution accessible for 1.x users or do they abandon us like with the 2.x update.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    well and is this new solution accessible for 1.x users or do they abandon us like with the 2.x update.
    I just laughed a little. Because it hurts to think about it.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    there's a link generated when the app is submitted that forwards users to the app catalog. the developer just has to provide the link to potential users. the open feeds were an easy way to get the link out there. But once a dev gets the link, it can be distributed it anyway the developer likes.
    Will those links to Beta apps also work for people, living in presently unsupported countries? (geo-blocked)

I live in Switzerland and have access to free apps but not paid apps.

One work around for some of the required apps, was using beta versions from the beta apps catalog. (Through PreWare)
    At least Done! and Noted! were providing that way needed enhanced functionallity, which I use heavily on a daily basis. (Still missing a good password manager like the PalmOS Dataviz Passwords Plus).

But since that beta app access (through PreWare) is cut off now AND I don't have access to the paid versions, I don't know how to go on now!

It is said, that international (geo-unlimited) access is coming to webOS 3.0.
    However, I have no information if older webOS version will have this access as well, and when that will happen.
    What-so-ever, at the moment, I still have no access to paid apps. And therefore still using the beta version of your apps.

But with the beta feed being cut off (from PreWare), I won't have access to those apps at all.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attn: Richard Kerris
    Did think of that?
    Do you have a solution for us international customers within unsupported countries?

Greetings from Switzerland,
    Rolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    They talk all about this @ LAUNCH stuff, seriously there's no events going on unless they just pull one out of there wazoo.

All they are doing is just further alienating the one community that kept webOS alive. There just using the pore saps who stayed behind, while they develop a new world to leave everyone else out.

NO Make It Right.
    NO Upgrade Path.
    NO Kept Promises.
    NOTHING But Silence.

They sure know how to BUILD suspense in the community. More like building HATER'D towards the maker if you ask me.
    So much of what you just posted is simply false.

NO Make It Right How would you have them "make it right"? The replacement for the Pre is not even out yet?
    NO Upgrade Path they've already addressed that, but then you knew that, since you referenced their "make it right" promise.
    NO Kept Promises Sorry guy, but not satisfying you on everything doesn't equate not "NO Kept Promises". One quick example (and the exception works in a generalization like the one you made), the Veer was released as promised. The TP looks like it will be as well. Same with the Pre3
    NOTHING But Silence I think you haven't been listening, or reading. Again, not saying what you want is not silence.

And what does any of your above listed complaints have to do with this thread - the apps feeds being shut down?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Unless HP makes some other (major) changes, what they are talking about won't prevent access to apps like Free Tether. You are intepreting this backwards.

"Other" sites will still be able to offer their own feeds (like PreWare offering Free Tether), but they won't be able to offer apps from the Catalog.
    Hope you are right, if this is not the first phase of more control/shutdowns of alternative feeds then maybe I am being a little paranioid, time will tell for sure. With Verizon putting pressure on Goggle to shut down tether apps, one wonders if HP is not also feeling the pressure from the big carriers because without them they cannot sell product.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 06/08/2011 at 12:49 PM.
    Honestly the only thing that changes is that Preware won't let you browse Beta/Web feed, and websites like this won't have all the apps available. The only real downside I see is now I have absolutely no way of knowing the full scale of the App Catalog. The old App Catalog allowed you to literally browse your way to the bottom of the list of thousands of apps, but the new one only loads like 20. Richard Kerris tweeted that there's a new big launch coming out soon and we need to stay patient.

This entire thing was blown completely out of proportion. Yeah it's not a positive move, but it's not the end of Palm and HP because they closed the app feeds publicly(you can still submit to them and people can still download the app in the beta feed) for a more developer friendly store launch coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I'd like to think that HP knows what they are doing.
    I don't have a "big warm and fuzzy" about this though. The lack of specific details about why they need to shut out third parties and how the "coming soon" changes will be good for developers and users makes it feel like this is step 1 of something bigger; they are going the iDevice route to exercise control over available apps.
    One idea leads me to that concept; their enterprise partners probably want HP to control the apps a bit tighter (like iDevices) so that their apps don't have to compete with homebrew doing the same or similar functions. Citrix on HP devices doesn't want to have to compete with OpenVPN, Skype doesn't want to compete with OpenTalk, and Twitter doesn't want to compete with, well, anyone.
    The elimination of third parties from the official feeds simply means that if you make an app, you need HP's help to promote it in the catalog. Without that you have to hope you can pop up on enough forum posts to garner some word of mouth downloads. Even if HP randomly picks a new or updated app/developer to "spotlight" each day or week, your odds of getting that exposure is determined by total number of apps/developers available.
    If the enterprise/business crowd is anywhere as active as they are on other platforms the homebrew innovator stands to lose. On other platforms, in my experience, there are a TON of 'app mills' that are submitting dozens of niche or limited utility apps each day, most are multiple copies of the same app that have some specific localization or appeal (realty apps, one for each county in the state even though they don't actually do anything different or access any different data from the web; sports apps, one version for each team even though they are exactly the same and could just change the colors through preferences). That type of app flooding happens even now on WebOS, but not to the degree it does on the other platforms and it kills the opportunities for the truly innovative or original ideas to be found in the chaff.
    One of the best things about being able to access all of the app feeds through different sites and Preware was that you could search for and filter out most of the chaff and app mills. HP's "coming soon" updated catalog needs to have a robust means of filtering and blocking so that users, new and existing, can find the app that they need, when they need it and block out the app mills from even showing in the catalog if users want.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    OK, deep breaths.

I don't want to overstate the obvious, but HP is not overly concerned with hanging onto the diminishing fan-base of WebOS that currently resides on the Pre, Pre Plus, Pixie or Pre 2.

It is pretty apparent that they are cutting ties with the Old Guard in the hopes of relaunching with the TouchPad and the Pre 3 and getting new people interested in the platform. I would hazard to guess that HP figures if the Old Guard has hung around this long through all the dry spells then they will more likely than not happily jump into the Pre3 and Touchpad.

Basically HP knows they are, for all intents and purposes, starting over from scratch. Palm is gone. Utterly and completely. HP doesn't want anyone to remember Palm or compare HP's products to Palm. HP bought WebOS with the intent of marketing THAT platform, not reinventing Palm.

Everything HP has done over the past 6 months fits into their future view of de-emphasizing the smartphone pigeon hole that Palm had backed itself into. They are putting WebOS on printers, computers, tablets and even smartphones. But I think their approach is different from Android or Apple: they are not building their infrastructure from the smartphone segement on up. They are spreading the WebOS love around and hoping to build a huge market share that way. Including making a push into enterprise.

For this reason they can't do "business as usual" anymore. At least not business they way that folks here on the blog have gotten used to. This is just the first of many changes as HP moves away from a OS that needs hacking to be useful, to a more locked down OS that is reliable. Hopefully a lot of the useability that Preware, patches and hacks bring to the platform will be incorporated.

I just can't see HP leaving the OS so open if they are going to be trying to make them uber secure for enterprise. It wouldn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Lake webOS-begone, where the wives (women) are strong and the husbands (men) are above-average looking....
    I though the men were good looking and the children are above average
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rgloor View Post
    Will those links to Beta apps also work for people, living in presently unsupported countries? (geo-blocked)

I live in Switzerland and have access to free apps but not paid apps.

One work around for some of the required apps, was using beta versions from the beta apps catalog. (Through PreWare)
    At least Done! and Noted! were providing that way needed enhanced functionallity, which I use heavily on a daily basis. (Still missing a good password manager like the PalmOS Dataviz Passwords Plus).

But since that beta app access (through PreWare) is cut off now AND I don't have access to the paid versions, I don't know how to go on now!

It is said, that international (geo-unlimited) access is coming to webOS 3.0.
    However, I have no information if older webOS version will have this access as well, and when that will happen.
    What-so-ever, at the moment, I still have no access to paid apps. And therefore still using the beta version of your apps.

But with the beta feed being cut off (from PreWare), I won't have access to those apps at all.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Use Impostah instead - it is impervious to and unperturbed by this change.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Use Impostah instead - it is impervious to and unperturbed by this change.

-- Rod
    The alliteration alone gets an A.
    can browse web and beta apps anywhere? On the website? Cool beta apps were the only place I was still finding some excitement for my 1.4.5 pre minus... What about updates to beta apps?
    Hm... I evidently somehow hid the official AppCat from my launcher, since I used Preware for everything. Now I have access ONLY to the Homebrew stuff. Wondering how to get the AppCat back.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast