Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Well here is the tweet from Kerris:

Re: RSS feeds… Patience please, while we work behind the scenes… New store, 100% focused on developers. Eager to reveal it @ launch
    Here's some advice Richard: Build your new stuff before you turn off the old stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    The only way that I know to access the web & beta feeds is via preware or WOSQI. What is the "official" way to access those feed?
    there's a link generated when the app is submitted that forwards users to the app catalog. the developer just has to provide the link to potential users. the open feeds were an easy way to get the link out there. But once a dev gets the link, it can be distributed it anyway the developer likes.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 06/07/2011 at 08:09 PM.
  3.    #23  
    Explanation here, seems to be a combo of wanting to control how apps are highlighted and also control security for corps and govt customers. I'm glad at least HP had a conf call with PreCentral, WebOSRoundup yesterday to alert them. Will have to see what the new format looks like and then assess from there. Interesting comment that it will be done by early next week, suggests the suspected June 20th date could still be a good one:

HP shuts down the app feeds. Everything you need to know. | webOSroundup
    The big problem with this news is that it should have come straight from HP with an explanation of why the feeds were being taken down. But instead, we find out via Twitter chatter and blog posts. Without any direction from HP, we're left speculating and wondering what's going on.

The same thing happened on 2/9 when we found out that 1.x devices wouldn't be updated to 2.1. We didn't find out via an official HP announcement. We found out via informal discussions with various blog sites.

HP really needs to do a better job in communicating to the user and developer community these types of changes. If you have to make hard decisions that will affect the community, then announce it and provide the details. At least we wouldn't be sitting here scratching our heads wondering why this is happening.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    The only way that I know to access the web & beta feeds is via preware or WOSQI. What is the "official" way to access those feed?
    Appscoop an official free app in the app catalog is one way.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6.    #26  
    Well, below is Kerris's comment from the front page of PreCentral:

By rkerris on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:49 pm EDT
    new
    +2

Hey all -

On one hand I continue to be amazed at the passion and intensity of the webOS developer community, on the other hand I'm surprised to see so many comments taking this RSS action way, WAY out of context.

First of all, we are not doing this to negatively affect developers, not at all. I'm sorry some of you think otherwise, but that is not the goal. Also, we are not stopping anything regarding the wonderful Homebrew efforts - that rocks. This is about one main thing and that is expanding our developer community with Enterprise customers who are part of the DNA of HP. That market will help webOS significantly, and we ALL need that, right? This is a good thing.

We could have spent our valuable resources building a bunch of custom stores for each and every Enterprise customer, but that would be a drain on what we have and not be in the best interest of THIS community. Instead, we took the stance of investing in our developers with a new and unique store approach that brings app discovery to a whole new level, which we think customers will really enjoy. That is better for our market and THAT is better for developers. We called each of the developer sites to let them know and we have been reaching out to developers who have apps that worked with RSS.

We will still work with sites to let them know how the apps are doing in the catalog, but this just wont be an automated feed. None of the stores do that, by the way - We wont be faking any numbers or anything else that's been suggested here to that tone. (sheeesh people, I mean come on... ) What we will be doing is working to expand our market and grow the opportunity for developers. That has been and will continue to be our #1 goal. I think when we can show you the new approach you will understand it better - but to get there, we had to stop the old way and build out the new one. When that takes place, I would love to hear your feedback, as we all do. We are active in this community and on others; and I think that we do a lot more than other companies we know. We are the underdog and we will continue to work harder to earn the business.

I've read each and every comment, and I hope I've said what can be said to assuage the concerns. We are getting closer everyday to launch and the new things a lot of people have been busting **** on. No, I can't give that launch date here and no I can't show you what it will be. I ask that you give us the patience to get this done -I think it will be worth it. Those of you who have stuck with us, I think you will be proud and happy at the focus we're putting on developers, for that is our customer in my group.

Thanks again for all the support, the energy and the time you give us to speak up. I can't wait to show you the big picture so you can see how this all comes together. In the meantime, I have to get back to work... there's much to do!

Best,

Richard

VP Worldwide Developer Relations, HP webOS
    I'm surprised to see so many comments taking this RSS action way, WAY out of context.
    It's out of context because HP never formally announced anything! That's my point! Don't be surprised when people are confused by finding out the news on Twitter and on blogs. Maybe next time Richard and his team should consider issuing a formal statement instead of letting blog sites break the news.

If the statement he made above was issued by HP from the start, there would have been no confusion and the reaction wouldn't have been as negative.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

I completely understand this call from HP, it's about looking at the BIG picture now. Im pretty certain things will pan out for all once it's all said and done, just done differently. For me, I just gotta either move apps off those feeds to homebrew which aint a big deal IMO.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Thanks bluenote, for the re-post. Thanks to RK for the(somewhat late) note. Better than nothing. Agreed DanPLC, with your points...frustrating I'm sure. Call me an optimist, but here's to the greater good!
    I do think that some people got a little out of hand in the comments, but Dan is right. It wouldn't have gotten that bad if there was a formal announcement beforehand. In the long run, I think it'll be a good thing. They didn't mess with homebrew and they've stated several times that they're fans of homebrew and won't mess with it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I can't believe they needed to turn off RSS well in advance of going live on the new system. That's something that probably could and should be done at "2AM on a Sunday," the same timeframe that I get for outages. :P (Quotes for Rod, I know the best time for one country is the worse for another, my point being that there maybe should be an hour or two between cutting off the old and bringing in the new, not some open-ended timeframe like we have now).

Now, will the new catalog work for those of us still on 1.x?
    If they can create a really good online app store experience, then removing the public app feeds isn't too bad. I really hope they've come up with a great online app store experience, because it's vital to the success of any mobile platform. Consumers do a lot of their online window shopping at home on their computers.

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    For my part, I think a number of the apps I have paid for I discovered via Preware. I dislike using the app catalog app.
  14.    #34  
    "on the other hand I'm surprised to see so many comments taking this RSS action way, WAY out of context."

Some of this mistrust of HP stems from the lack of communication about not being able to upgrade from 1.xx to 2.xx and further compounded by the "something special" being promised instead by Ruby not being fulfilled.
    HP needs to fulfill their promises in order to repair trust in the community. I don't know why they don't do this as the positive reaction would do a lot to generate good will, it would only help them. They seem to be at least responding one-on-one to upset customers but something larger needs to happen on a community level.
    They talk all about this @ LAUNCH stuff, seriously there's no events going on unless they just pull one out of there wazoo.

All they are doing is just further alienating the one community that kept webOS alive. There just using the pore saps who stayed behind, while they develop a new world to leave everyone else out.

NO Make It Right.
    NO Upgrade Path.
    NO Kept Promises.
    NOTHING But Silence.

They sure know how to BUILD suspense in the community. More like building HATER'D towards the maker if you ask me.
    Tweet from Richard Kerris:

Re: RSS feeds… Patience please, while we work behind the scenes… New store, 100% focused on developers. Eager to reveal it @ launch
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Tweet from Richard Kerris:
    Im curious to why he says "100% focused on developers."

What else would you focus a app catalog on? Perhaps customers for those developers. Oh wait...
    its not as bad as it may seem initially:

1. app catalog is the official way for apps.
    2. hpwebos.com website has the app catalog for example: https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ayllc.techtray
    3. As mentioned above Homebrew and Precentral feeds are UNAFFECTED by this. Palm/HP wants to drive business to their site and their app catalog. I'm cool w/this. I don't use preware to get my official apps anyway.
    4. Patching and modding and developer mode is unaffected = patches are not on HP's servers.
    I don't quite know who they are making this software for anymore....its like we (the webos loyal) are HPs ugly wife who will always be there for our husband while he goes off trying to get lucky with a bevvy of college coeds he will never have a chance with...This ugly wife will only be pushed so far before it comes time for a divorce.
  20.    #40  
    I can't read your post seriously, I'm distracted by the attackpoodle moniker.

ps also speak for yourself, maybe we are the good looking ones
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast