1.    #1  
    Ok, I have had my Pre- for a year today. Still we have heard nothing about any releases for a WebOS device on Sprint. I do not plan on switching carriers as I have others on my plan and they have new devices already.

Is there any news out there that Sprint will get a phone any time in the near future? My Pre is slowly dying, there are lots of chips, it is loose, battery is getting worse(guess I could buy a new battery) GPS it getting worse, and the responsiveness isn't as good as it use to be.

I would love to stay with webOS but wear and tear is just starting to take its told, plus stuck in 1.4.5 doesn't help any.

I really did need to vent my frustration, but I really would love to know if Sprint will get a phone or not, if not, then I will switch to a Nexus S android phone, but if a webOS phone will be on Sprint soon, I will try and wait it out.

Chris
    What would I do? I'll tell you what I did.

Got myself a FrankenPre 2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    What would I do? I'll tell you what I did.

Got myself a FrankenPre 2.

Honestly, I am not into breaking apart a phone and marrying it to another. I want one I can put under warranty

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chekmate View Post
    No reason to be frustrated. Switch to android. Wait and see if webOS ever comes back to Sprint later.
    That is what I may need to do. But when a webOS Phone does come out I would like to be able to get it with the upgrade. The regular price would more likely be kinda steep for me.

I guess I would just like to know if one is coming in the next month or two or not. If so, I would wait for it. If not, I'll make the change to android. This being the 2 year mark, you would have thought we would have heard something by now.

Global Posts
    803 Global Posts
    I bought a Pre on eBay to tide me over after my original was too banged up.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Sprint 2011 roadmap is up today on Engadget Mobile...not a webOS phone in sight!!!

sigh
    If your Pre- is meeting your needs, there is no issue. If not, choose your carrier first and then the device that best meets your needs.
    Cheap used phones are available to fill the niche while you wait to see what happens. The sprint folks I know who have ended up with a Pre Plus conversion have loved it. The FrankenPre2 is even better they say.

While I know you don't want to tinker and open the phone - one advantage of this approach is that you don't end up with a bill for an extra $10/month since the current Sprint ESN is maintained and you don't "change devices" as far as Sprint is concerned.

As for warranty? With a used Pre or Pre Plus well under $100 most places - why would you want to pay for a warranty. Pick up an extra for the cost of the warranty and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Cheap used phones are available to fill the niche while you wait to see what happens. The sprint folks I know who have ended up with a Pre Plus conversion have loved it. The FrankenPre2 is even better they say.

While I know you don't want to tinker and open the phone - one advantage of this approach is that you don't end up with a bill for an extra $10/month since the current Sprint ESN is maintained and you don't "change devices" as far as Sprint is concerned.

As for warranty? With a used Pre or Pre Plus well under $100 most places - why would you want to pay for a warranty. Pick up an extra for the cost of the warranty and call it a day.
    Yep, plus, I really don't think you'll have to return your Pre 2 even once, as opposed to the horror stories with the Pre. If you want to be safe, get yourself a Pre 2, and play around with it for a couple of weeks. If it looks pretty stable, then do the conversion. The FrankenPre 2 will function *almost* exactly the same.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. My Pre- is on it's last leg and I need something soon too.

After spending lots of time looking, it seems the Pre 3 and Droid phones are pretty even when I evaluate the criteria important to me. I can go either way and probably not miss anything.

If it was a decision on just the phone, I would consider going to Droid and perhaps return to WebOS down the road (if I'm convinced to return).

It's going to come down to the tablets for me. I plan to purchase a phone and tablet on the same OS. I've narrowed it down to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 vs. the Touchpad. So I'm going to let that decide it for me and will go from there.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. My Pre- is on it's last leg and I need something soon too.

After spending lots of time looking, it seems the Pre 3 and Droid phones are pretty even when I evaluate the criteria important to me. I can go either way and probably not miss anything.

If it was a decision on just the phone, I would consider going to Droid and perhaps return to WebOS down the road (if I'm convinced to return).

It's going to come down to the tablets for me. I plan to purchase a phone and tablet on the same OS. I've narrowed it down to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 vs. the Touchpad. So I'm going to let that decide it for me and will go from there.
    I'll probably get a touchpad regardless of the phone I buy because the integration I need is on google & both Android & webOS handle that very well.