Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    One of the big advantages of webOS has been having no fragmentation of the OS.

In this transition period we now have about 7 fragments:

1. 1.4.0 (Mexico is definitely getting the short end of the Taco)
    2. 1.4.5
    3. 1.4.5.1 on Verizon
    4. 2.0.1 on Pre2 (very buggy)
    5. 2.1.2 on Veer
    6. 2.3 coming on the Pre3
    7. 3.0 coming on the TP (no word on when the Pre3 will get it)

Its no wonder that progress on webOS releases is going so slowly.

SIGH!
    Last edited by TomD; 06/08/2011 at 01:49 PM.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    don't forget those of us on Verizon with Pre2s that are waiting for an official 2.1. we are still on the very niche 2.0.1

i feel really bad for the devs out there who have to deal with the platform fragmenting up this badly. it never was like this before.. sure there was lag time between carriers getting updates out, but this is reaching Android levels of lunacy. couple that with HP's increasingly apparent disdain for the legacy devices and development on the 2.x versions of webOS in general and you have a pretty depressing situation.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    don't forget those of us on Verizon with Pre2s that are waiting for an official 2.1. we are still on the very niche 2.0.1

i feel really bad for the devs out there who have to deal with the platform fragmenting up this badly. it never was like this before.. sure there was lag time between carriers getting updates out, but this is reaching Android levels of lunacy. couple that with HP's increasingly apparent disdain for the legacy devices and development on the 2.x versions of webOS in general and you have a pretty depressing situation.
    Thanks for the correction on Pre2 being on 2.0.1. Its easy to get lost in this quagmire.

Totally agreed. I have stopped my App development until 3.x gets closer to release.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post

1. 1.4.5
    2. 1.4.5.1 on Verizon
    3. 2.1.0 on Pre2 (very buggy)
    4. 2.1.1 on Veer
    5. 2.3 coming on the Pre3
    6. 3.0 coming on the TP (no word on when the Pre3 will get it)

1.4.5 and 1.4.5.1 are the same thing in essence.

2.1.0 on Pre2.. you forgot 2.0.1 on the Pre2. Also pretty much the same thing, since all 2.x apps work for all 2.x devices... as well as all 1.x apps

3.0.. all 1.x and 2.x apps work in 3.x... and don't forget, it won't be JUST the Pre3 and TP getting 3.0, the Pre2 and Veer are also getting 3.0

So really, when you think about it, it's not bad at all. There's only two levels of fragmentation ATM (in regards to developers), and there's one sublevel for each major release. Once 3.x gets released for Pre2, Pre3, and Veer, 2.x won't make it onto any new devices.

Also, we have no idea what version Pre3 will ship with. It could ship with 3.x for all we know. =)
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

so... We have one webOS version for old phones (webOS 1.x), one webOS version for new phones (webOS 2.x), and one as yet unreleased webOS version for tablets (webOS 3.x).

I fail to see an issue here, especially since webOS 2 will run your webOS 1 apps and webOS 3 will run both webOS 1 and 2 apps. This isn't even touching on the probability that Veer and Pre3 will be on the same version whenever Pre3 is actually released.

So is your issue that old devices are still around? That 2009 hardware can't run 2011 software? That new versions of the OS are being released?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the biggest reason why i cant go with verizon is their inability to release updates. its horrible. sprint gets it, than ATT releases it about a month after, if your lucky verizon will release it a month after ATT~!!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    [/LIST]
    1.4.5 and 1.4.5.1 are the same thing in essence.

2.1.0 on Pre2.. you forgot 2.0.1 on the Pre2. Also pretty much the same thing, since all 2.x apps work for all 2.x devices... as well as all 1.x apps

3.0.. all 1.x and 2.x apps work in 3.x... and don't forget, it won't be JUST the Pre3 and TP getting 3.0, the Pre2 and Veer are also getting 3.0

So really, when you think about it, it's not bad at all. There's only two levels of fragmentation ATM (in regards to developers), and there's one sublevel for each major release. Once 3.x gets released for Pre2, Pre3, and Veer, 2.x won't make it onto any new devices.

Also, we have no idea what version Pre3 will ship with. It could ship with 3.x for all we know. =)
    The 1.4.5.1 release only came out for Verizon. It has some bug fixes. Those are always welcome. My question is, if this is such a minor upgrade, then why didn't the other carriers release it? If it is ready for Verizon, it should be a no brainer to release it on Sprint, etc. Either the carriers are stopping the release or Palm has abandononed 1.4.5 users.

I did update my post for the Pre2 to 2.0.1. The fact is that it is subject to serious lag, frequent hags, and frequent doctoring. These problems appear to be fixed on the Veers 2.1.2. Why hasn't 2.1.2 been released for the Pre2?

The FCC approval for the Pre3 showed 2.3, but that could change of course.

From a developers perspective releasing apps for anything below 3.x makes little sense.

3.x is still in beta and not yet ready for prime time. Beta 5 has the Mojo emulation mode side ways and can't be made upright. As a developer I am in despair. If HP does not bring a first rate, no features missing, sliky smooth OS out, I will seriously reconsider going elsewhere. The days of waiting and waiting and waiting some more are about over for me.

Users of older devices are pretty much screwed. If HP comes through with some deal to upgrade, that would help.

I call this serious fragmentation.
    Tom
    I have never had to doctor my Pre 2.. it has 2.0.1 on it.. no lag.. what are you talking about? Yeah I'm upset, but 2.1 only has a couple things I really want compared to 2.0.1, mainly promo codes.

Serious fragmentation is Android devices shipping with Froyo I.E. Droid X2 when there's plenty of other devices shipping with Gingerbread today.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I have a feeling that most of these fragmentations will be fixed after the release of the Pre3, at least I'm hoping...
    Looking for guidance on developing email me for some good sources of info please, thanks!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I think the big step up is in 2.1, with hybrid app availability in the catalog and many more features than 1.4.5. Why the Pre2 doesn't get an upgrade to 2.1? I do not know, but perhaps there aren't many Pre2 owners (they really didn't push it in the stores), they are trying to push Veer with 2.1, and most importantly, they are hopefilly trying to get 3.0 on all devices.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    don't forget the Mexican's. Not sure what ver they've reached. The latest doctor seems to be 1.4.0.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP. It doesnt look that good. Also, I saw in some other threads that even 2.1.2 is somewhat different (sconix's patches for example not working) compared to 2.1
    I believe it is of utmost important to boost all phones (except the legacy ones, that they have forsaken) to the same level.
    If that is 3.0 for all phones then do it. If its 2.1.2, 2.3 or whatever do it.
    Pre 2, Pre 3 and Veer should have the same version.
    I think Mexico is still on 1.4.0
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    The fragmentation's been bugging me too. It's one of the things that turned m off about Android to be honest. but I do think that after the hardware push, the software will start to converge around webos 3.0. I know that android is acting similarly with ice cream sandwich, but imo Android itself feels inherently disjointed and not just among different software revisions.
    To be fair their wasn't much room for fragmentation when it was just the Pre- on Sprint.
    Will the veer get 3.0? I hope so but how do we know at this point?

The veer needs 3.0 when the pre3 gets it. Just like the pre and pixi had the same versions. Thats the whole idea of WebOS, one scaleable OS for every device. I have a feeling android might beat them to that with icecream sandwich.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    they've said the pre2/pre3,veer will get webos 3.0 eventually (to run enyo apps). when that happens all current products will be in sync.

pre(-),pixi will be deprecated at that time.

but agree w/OP for the time being....not to worry it will all change...in the coming months
    Worse: as a developer this fragmentation is crazy too. Do you write new apps in enyo only (touchpad), OR mojo (runs on all but soon to be deprecated). My 4 apps on the sig. below will run all devices. Enyo will require a complete re-write of all these apps. No rush to re-write till the platform matures and pushed out to all current phones.
    1.4.5 and 1.4.5.1 is effectively only 1 version. A handful of bugfixes do not fragmentation make.
    Not sure about the 2.x variants. What is 2.0 missing compared to 2.1 and 2.2?

Further - by the end of the year 1.x will be effectively gone. By then almost everybody who haven't switched to Android/IPhone will have bought a 2.x device.

And different version only cause fragmentation problems when they offer different APIs that an App makes use of.

The main devide is Mojo and Enyo. But that will vanish in a few months with the replacement of the 1.x devices (Pre and Pixi).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    You can only judge fragmentation from a developer standpoint. If you have several different OS versions, but your apps work the same on all those versions, then really, who cares? Maybe some apps have some extra candy in the form of Just Type or Exhibition, but currently, most apps work on all devices (the most glaring exception being PDK apps). Right now, for most apps fragmentation is not a problem.

Fragmentation only entered the consumer mind when they realized not all android apps work the same on all android phones. This is not something we on webOS have to worry about (the exception again being PDK apps).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast