1.    #1  

... please watch this video and skip to about 14:30.

He clearly states that the Enyo framework (used for webOS 3.0 apps) supports the gesture area.

and if you skip to 21:00 you'll see how running an Enyo app on a lower resolution device auto-enables it to accept inputs from the gesture area.

The gesture area exists so that limited screen real estate isn't wasted with soft navigation buttons. On a tablet, this isnt an issue because there is so much space, but on phones it will continue to be an issue. this is why Enyo apps on phones will continue to utilize the gesture area.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    here's some excerpts from the guidelines they give developers:

"On a tablet device, try to minimize the amount of screen transitions the user needs to navigate through. Instead, try to bring new information into the view for example, use Sliding Panes to navigate through hierarchical content, or use an Interactive Pop-up to perform sub-tasks in the application."

what they are saying here is that the larger screen potentially eliminates the need to 'go back' because all of the needed information can be displayed in a single view. An example of this is the Enyo based email app. on a touchpad, the back gesture would be useless for this app because all three scenes in the hierarchy are displayed in a single view.

"When it is necessary to navigate to a new view within the application, always provide the user with a button to navigate back to the view from which they came. The button should be contained inside a header or footer and aligned to the left. The button should be labeled with the title of the previous view."

Occasionally, it will be necessary to go to a new view (like in the new photo app) in these cases, you use a back button. but the screen is so big, who cares?

"On phone devices, the Back Gesture is used to navigate to previous scenes in the scene hierarchy. The scene does not include buttons to navigate to previous scenes in the hierarchy."

And here's the most important point of all. When your on the phone devices, not only does the gesture area come into play, but you can code your app so that pesky "back button" goes away, saving screen space. This is possible because Enyo apps recognize the resolution of the device your using and act accordingly.

Source: HP Developer Center

So rest assured, your precious gestures are not going the way of the dinosaur. HP's new framework simply minimized the need for multiple transitions in a tablet app, thus eliminating the need for a gesture area, ON THE TABLET. But on smaller devices, its not going anywhere.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 06/03/2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Link was missing
  2.    #2  
    and if you skip to 21:00 you'll see how running an Enyo app on a lower resolution auto-enables it to accept inputs from the gesture area.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    erm... what video? there is no link to a video in your posts.
    "The link is in our minds"
    Link would be nice...thanks! Sorli...
    Missing link is missing
    Maybe somebody could post a link to the link?

Please?
    even if the link ends up being posted, people will scream bloody murder about the gesture area being abandoned and threaten to jump ship.

until the next batch of phones comes out. Then they'll laugh about slow HP, who can't even abandon a gesture area with any modicum of speed and threaten to jump ship.

until the batch of phones after that comes out. Then they'll scream bloody murder about HP *having lied to us* when they said they were going to do away in the gesture area and threaten to jump ship.

Meanwhile, there was never any indication at all that gestures would go away from phones - all we know is that SOME gestures won't be in the touchpad because there's a difference between a one-centimeter backswipe on a pre and a seven-centimeter backswipe on a tablet while OTHER gestures remain on the touchpad because swiping up doesn't require a comically and uncomfortably elongated gesture.
  8.    #9  
    fixed
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 06/03/2011 at 08:29 PM.
    Just read my sig.

People are never satisfied with anything.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10.    #11  
    sorry i went so long without the link... i'm silly sometimes
    So Matt McNulty says that if someone codes for the gesture area in Enyo, and the app is running in a phone w gesture area it would work automatically. While it would be different on TP.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    So Matt McNulty says that if someone codes for the gesture area in Enyo, and the app is running in a phone w gesture area it would work automatically. While it would be different on TP.
    pretty much. here's some excerpts from the guidelines they give developers:

"On a tablet device, try to minimize the amount of screen transitions the user needs to navigate through. Instead, try to bring new information into the view for example, use Sliding Panes to navigate through hierarchical content, or use an Interactive Pop-up to perform sub-tasks in the application."

what they are saying here is that the larger screen potentially eliminates the need to 'go back' because all of the needed information can be displayed in a single view. An example of this is the Enyo based email app. on a touchpad, the back gesture would be useless for this app because all three scenes in the hierarchy are displayed in a single view.

"When it is necessary to navigate to a new view within the application, always provide the user with a button to navigate back to the view from which they came. The button should be contained inside a header or footer and aligned to the left. The button should be labeled with the title of the previous view."

Occasionally, it will be necessary to go to a new view (like in the new photo app) in these cases, you use a back button. but the screen is so big, who cares?

"On phone devices, the Back Gesture is used to navigate to previous scenes in the scene hierarchy. The scene does not include buttons to navigate to previous scenes in the hierarchy."

And here's the most important point of all. When your on the phone devices, not only does the gesture area come into play, but you can code your app so that pesky "back button" goes away, saving screen space. This is possible because Enyo apps recognize the resolution of the device your using and act accordingly.

So rest assured, your precious gestures are not going the way of the dinosaur. HP's new framework simply minimized the need for multiple transitions in a tablet app, thus eliminating the need for a gesture area, ON THE TABLET. But on smaller devices, its not going anywhere.

Source: HP WebOS Developer Center
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    But the ability to switch quickly between apps like seen in the HP Veer commercial is not there on the touchpad.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    But the ability to switch quickly between apps like seen in the HP Veer commercial is not there on the touchpad.
    very true...

my guess is, given the fact that the feature needed to be turned on in Preferences, few people used it. I'm sure few people used the quick launch bar as well.

still, i don't think that feature is really worth crying bloody murder. And who knows, maybe HP will add something like that via multi-touch gestures (ala apple)... which is probably more appropriate than a gesture area on a device so big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    very true...

my guess is, given the fact that the feature needed to be turned on in Preferences, few people used it. I'm sure few people used the quick launch bar as well.

still, i don't think that feature is really worth crying bloody murder. And who knows, maybe HP will add something like that via multi-touch gestures (ala apple)... which is probably more appropriate than a gesture area on a device so big.
    I agree it wasn't used much and people are crying over little for the most part. What I miss most is the swipe up from gesture area which could be added in an update if they wanted to.

But Advertising the feature on your phone and not having that feature on the matching tablet is kinda lame. (shows the boxer flip though each app.. tap.... press button .... tap press button...)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I agree it wasn't used much and people are crying over little for the most part. What I miss most is the swipe up from gesture area which could be added in an update if they wanted to.

But Advertising the feature on your phone and not having that feature on the matching tablet is kinda lame. (shows the boxer flip though each app.. tap.... press button .... tap press button...)
    i can understand that sentiment. But i think the important thing for people to realize is that webOS isn't losing support for a gesture area. there were even people on here saying 1) webOS 3.0 on phones was going to bork the gesture area on the veer/pre3 and 2) future webOS phones won't have one.

i think there's a better chance that future tablets will get a gesture area than webOS getting rid of it all together.