1.    #1  
    Hi all,

More on HP to license webOS.

Take care,

Jay

HP to license webOS

By James • Jun 2nd, 2011 • Category: Industry News

HP to license webOS » Mobile Computing News

While WebOS had a high profile when the Palm Pre released, with HP going virtually radio silent since acquiring Palm, the much-loved mobile OS platform fell off of many people’s grid. Now HP CEO Leo Apotheker has come forward to say his company has big plans for the web-based OS beyond those it has internally, and that they may consider licensing it to other manufacturers.

ROLLING OUT TO PARTNERS
    Apotheker made this revelation at the D9 tech conference today. During his interview, he revealed that the company has plans to make the platform available to partners who plan on providing mobility services to their customer base.
    Apotheker said: ‘WebOS will also be adopted by many partners who provide services to small and medium businesses.’ He continued, saying: ‘Traditionally HP has a strong channel into medium companies. …I happen to believe that WebOS is a uniquely outstanding operating system. It’s not correct to believe that it should only be on HP devices. There are all kinds of other people who want to make whatever kind of hardware they make and would like to connect them to the Internet. We’ll make it available to enterprises and to SMBs. It will run on lots of HP devices.’

THE GOOGLE WAY, NOT THE APPLE WAY
    What’s obviously striking about this is that HP Palm would be taking a more Google Android like approach to their mobile OS platform, having devices ‘manufactured’ in-house, but also licensing the system to third-party device manufacturers. This would be in opposition to the Apple way, of having their mobile OS available on HP devices only.

WISE STRATEGY OR DUMB MOVE?
    Strategically, this is an interesting move, because what made webOS so interesting was it meant hardware and software would be handled by one company, meaning HP Palm was playing in its own zone. Now, flirting with licensing to third parties puts HP in direct competition with the titanic Google Android platform, as well as the highly competitive Windows Phone 7.

It’s hard to know what to make of this, and whether it represents Hewlett-Packard overplaying their hand with a widely revered mobile OS platform. I mean do smartphones, tablet PCs, netbooks or even desktops need yet another third-party operating system?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    Hi all,

Just a follow up...Take care,

jay

HP Wants To License webOS To 'Special' Partners
    Adam Dickter, newsfactor.com
    2 hrs 12 mins ago

Print Story: HP Wants To License webOS To 'Special' Partners - Yahoo! News
    As Hewlett-Packard works to capitalize on its inherited webOS by installing it on more products, the technology giant will also seek out select hardware partners to license the operating system.

Two company executives indicated Wednesday that they believe webOS, which became HP's property when it bought the foundering Palm last year, can still generate interest in a PC market dominated by Microsoft's Windows and a mobile market dominated by Google's Android and Apple's iOS.

Outstanding System

"I happen to believe that webOS is a uniquely outstanding operating system," HP CEO Leo Apotheker said Wednesday at The Wall Street Journal's All Things Digital conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif. "It's not correct to believe that it should only be on HP devices. There are all kinds of other people who want to make whatever kind of hardware they make and would like to connect them to the Internet. We'll make it available to enterprises and to SMBs. It will run on lots of HP devices."

Apotheker's comments about webOS, published in an online transcript by the Journal, came in a discussion with the paper's Walt Mossberg and in response to questions from an audience member.

The CEO, who took charge of HP last September, said he regretted the company did not try to market webOS sooner, saying, "It would have made life easier."

Speaking on the same day at a different conference, the top HP executive in charge of webOS, Jon Rubinstein, said "HP is more than willing to partner with one or two special companies," but ruled out making it open source for anyone who wants it.

At Qualcomm's Uplinq conference, Rubinstein, a former Apple vice president, said "if someone wants to put a real focus on contributing and building the webOS ecosystem, that would be something we're interested in," PC World reported.

HP plans to install webOS on its high-end printers as well as on computers -- initially working in conjunction with Windows -- and on the company's TouchPad tablet due this summer. It also runs on a selection of smartphones, including the Pri, Pixi and Plus.

A Long Shot

But HP may face a tough road in boosting interest from manufacturers, app developers, and customers.

According to the latest U.S. smartphone data from Nielsen Mobile Insights, webOS commands just a four percent share of the market, tied with Nokia's Symbian and trailing market leader Android (36 percent), Apple (26 percent), and Research In Motion's BlackBerry (23 percent).

"If they do have a shot, it's a long one," said Charles King, principal analyst for Pund-IT. "The smart money seems to be on Android and Apple, with entrepreneurial mobile vendors embracing Google, and Microsoft coming up from behind via Windows 8."

The idea of licensing webOS to others, King said, "is intriguing, but for that to be compelling, HP will first have to drive market interest/momentum with products of its own."

Copyright © 2011 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  3.    #3  
    Hi all,

Here are twin views on the idea of licensing webOS.

In both cases please use the link to get to the full story.

For what ever my view is worth, which may not be worth much, but I think there will be interest from other firms. I think so b/c SONY did a long time ago. I also think so b/c Android field has become so crowded, it's hard to differentiate oneself from such a large pack...

Take care all,

Jay

Article one:

Would Licensing webOS Help Or Hurt HP?

HP also plans to add webOS to printers, laptops, and other devices, which might let the company collect the critical mass it needs to compete with the big boys.

By Eric Zeman InformationWeek
    June 02, 2011 03:10 PM

Would Licensing webOS Help Or Hurt HP? -- InformationWeek

Both HP CEO Leo Apotheker and Jon Rubinstein, the former CEO of Palm, preached the same message on different stages Wednesday: They'd consider licensing webOS to others.
    Apotheker was speaking at the Wall Street Journal's AllThingsD conference. In response to questions from Walter Mossberg and Kara Swisher, he said, "I happen to believe that webOS is a uniquely outstanding operating system. It's not correct to believe that it should only be on HP devices. There are all kinds of other people who want to make whatever kind of hardware they make and would like to connect them to the Internet. We'll make [webOS] available to enterprises and to SMBs. It will run on lots of HP devices."

Article two:

HP Wants Everyone To Feel the webOS Love… but They Won’t
    By Erik Sherman | June 2, 2011

HP Wants Everyone To Feel the webOS Love… but They Won’t | BNET

A webOS tablet from Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) made a surprise appearance at the Computex trade show in Taipei. One of HP’s vendors, SanDisk, had one at its booth. With snappy responsiveness and good layout, it’s unlikely that the advance version of the device was accidentally put only the floor.

HP wants attention for its acquired operating system because it wants the software to show up everywhere: phones, tablets, PCs, industrial controllers, and every other bit of hardware imaginable. In short, HP wants webOS to replace Microsoft (MSFT) Windows and Google (GOOG) Android and Chrome OS. But wanting and getting are two different things. Supplanting currently standard software will be a tall order, as it requires cooperation from companies that will see HP as an enemy
    ilovedessert, do you think that Microsoft plans for Windows 8 had a role in HP decision to license WebOS? How big of a role?

Microsofts Windows 8 Operating System Unvieled
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    ilovedessert, do you think that Microsoft plans for Windows 8 had a role in HP decision to license WebOS? How big of a role?

Microsofts Windows 8 Operating System Unvieled
    Hi, that would be my guess as well. HP must have been working behind the scenes on this as they knew MS was very upset when HP basically dropped the Win tablet and bought Palm for webOS.

MS wasn't going to sit on the sidelines while their core product gets dropped by more and more users who are using their pads far more than their PC's and laptops.

On PC's and laptops MS is very pricey to all of their vendors....this has truly bothered firms who my many computers and then has to pay a hefty licensing fee for each one or for each copy of MS Word.

HP must be willing to license webOS for a lot less. In addition most apps are very cheap, (unlike the days before Iphones when apps were pricey).

I truly feel the more competition on platforms and hardware it's better for us. More competition means more innovation.

Unlike at least one of the articles posted, I'm sure that HP had already spoken to a few firms and had a few interested. It's just a feeling, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Leo and Walt Mossberg discussed it ahead of time & that Leo knew the question was coming.

I also feel that there must be a few firms not willing to make Android products, there are so many of them flooding the markets & the Android market is so fractured...it's an overwhelming tidal wave of most undifferentiated products...with minor customizations....keep in mind the PC market was like that not that long ago...the field shrank and condensed.....

The Android market is also too confusing...you have brand new products being sold with an older version of Android, ones with a version for a few months ago and now a bunch I believe it's named Honeycomb.....yet it isn't the same as going from a Dell PC to a HP PC...they have customized Android so that it's hard for some newbies to figure out the difference, even of the difference isn't that big. Perhaps Google over sold Android to too many firms...if there is such a thing!

Take care,

Jay

BTW please call me Jay, Ilovedessert is only my screen name and I always tell people not to call me Mr. Silverman...I'm not that old and crotchety, (yet)!