1.    #1  
    The furious copying of WebOS features by other competitors continues today with Apple stealing a late notification feature once promised by Roger McNamee before the release of the Pre.

New Features to the Pre: Oops I'm late and Automatic Calendar Context | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

But better than that, it does stuff for you. So when you wake up in the morning, it has taken your calendar -- if you ask it to -- and downloaded the maps for you whole day, it's downloaded the wikipedias for the people you're going to visit and the companies you're going to see... Why is it on PCs you have to go and do all that?

And when you're late -- get this -- when you're late it -- remember, this things has GPS, it has a clock, and it has your calendar. So it not only knows where you are, it knows where you're supposed to be and when; and so when it realizes you're going to be late, it says "Hey, not only are you going to be late, but I can take care of it for you. I'll send an email to your assistant or to the people in the meeting, which would you prefer? And oh, by the way, here's the map." This is the beginning of a new wave.

Apple now taking that idea with their own patent application:

Apple wants to make your calendar sensitive to location and traffic, get you there on time -- Engadget
    Neat. Wonder if it will have to be used with last decade's mobile OS or if Apple will finally step their game up and 'innovate' again.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    I am still waiting for this and Mojo Puch Notifications.

since HP is buisness heavy I expect both Push servers and this location feature to be available "in the coming months"

Plus things like adding people to calendar events.

HP really wants to take over the business market with WebOS so these features more than say, Shazam type hipster stuff will be implemented imo
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Can you really steal an idea that was abandoned two years ago?
    Yes. esp if Palm patented it, but you can only patent the blueprints that make the idea a reality. Not the idea itself.

But let me explain, my frustration isn't with Apple but Palm for abandoning it and letting a lot of their features get picked off without either a fight or a rush to keep innovating and stay ahead.

The best thing Palm had going for them was their OS but once WebOS's best features are picked off and the level of innovation from Palm continues to lag behind the only thing separating WebOS from the competition will be their lack of apps.

We've only had Exhibition and Voice Dial (which doesn't work well) to show for innovation in the past year or two. If this doesn't change we could be seeing the last of WebOS.
    I don't understand why Palm didn't patent this, and all other features being lifted off webOS, first. Apple is patenting it, so now what? They can't use it without paying a license now. Meanwhile, the Playbook is getting away with cards, and nothing out of HP.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums