Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Uh oh... Looks like big bad microsoft is intergrating WP7(8) into its new version of windows.

We know HP plans to incorporate WebOS into every HP PC but if Windows 8 incorporates a "mobile OS" style mode right into windows, who's going to use webOS on windows 8?

This looks like WP8 running on all windows 8 PCs.

Notice the "desktop" icon.

What does this mean for HP's plans to simply run WebOS in a window?...

Thoughts?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    I think it'll mean that... WebOS will be incorporated with and run along side Windows just as proposed

I don't think it will have any impact on Windows, and can only help introduce people to WebOS.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

It looks like the KIN Studio... but has since been taken off line.
  4.    #4  
    What I'm worried about is this: Microsoft's WP8 integration with windows will probably be greater than WebOS's. It would suck if WebOS on Windows looked like a joke in comparison..

It looks like Microsoft is finally stepping up their game, Engadget morons are already predicting the end of Apple's mobile reign. I'm worried WebOS may be seriously overshadowed here.... After all, WP7 is our direct competition for third place...
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    if you believe android and apple will keep their place -=)
    just remember how the landscape looked five years ago.... windows mobile and blackberry were very popular, while apple was just starting to get its footing and android nowhere in sight....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I will probably get Windows 8 Tablet PC. And probably get some kind of keyboard docking station, it will completely replace my laptop. I really liked Transformer idea but it's still Android, there's still certain limitation. I currently have my iPad, which I really love. But if I can get the full OS running on tablet format, and have touch interface. And I will have full administrator access right, don't need to jailbreak, preware or rooting. And if I hook it up to the keyboard, I can have full desktop feature, I am in. I really loved what I saw from the windows 8 demo video.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I still can't see any reason to use webOS on a Windows device, tablet or not. It's not as if you're going to get touch-screen functionality on a regular PC. If it's a Windows 8 tablet then it will have a touch interface. People aren't going to go into some kind of immersive webOS interface when they already have something like Windows 8 customized to utilize the hardware of the tablet that utilizes the USB ports, file system, networking, enterprise programs, multimedia, hardware acceleration, etc.

The only purpose webOS would have on these tablets would be to interface with some other kind of webOS device. Even that would be a pain in the a** - kind of like the proprietary PC interface that every hardware peripheral like scanners, cameras, etc. include but nobody wants to use.
    Exactly. Without deep OS integration, like this new WP-like mode on regular PCs, who's going to want to use WebOS?

Also, look at it from a developer attracting standpoint: Sure its great to get WebOS out to so many people/devices (100m+) but Microsoft is about to have their WP environment on EVERY windows PC. How many IS that????????
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I will probably get Windows 8 Tablet PC. And probably get some kind of keyboard docking station, it will completely replace my laptop. I really liked Transformer idea but it's still Android, there's still certain limitation. I currently have my iPad, which I really love. But if I can get the full OS running on tablet format, and have touch interface. And I will have full administrator access right, don't need to jailbreak, preware or rooting. And if I hook it up to the keyboard, I can have full desktop feature, I am in. I really loved what I saw from the windows 8 demo video.
    And this.

I want the best OS to win out... But its looking like Microsoft will play their trump card so the more deeply integrated environment will utilize their crappier mobile OS. Oh wait, thats already how it is presently with Apple.

I'm thinking HP needs to make WebOS a dual boot option. That would make it more legit.

The capacity to quickly switch between a regular style desktop with all its benefits and a neat mobile OS on a tablet is going to be really hard to beat though.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    Microsoft is about to have their WP environment on EVERY windows PC. How many IS that????????
    Not every Windows PC, every Windows 8 PC. This means you will either have to purchase a new computer, or buy Windows 8. A lot of people are happy with Windows 7, a lot are happy with Vista, a lot are happy with XP, and there's still plenty of computers running 2000.

Also, we don't know for sure HP's strategy for WebOS on PC's. Remember, they are integratinginto Windows. We have no idea what this means yet. Right now, the benefits may seem unclear, but as time goes on and we learn more about how it's going to be implemented, your opinion may change.

You say one thing, I say another. You say you don't see any benefits, while I say I don't see any downsides.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    if you believe android and apple will keep their place -=)
    just remember how the landscape looked five years ago.... windows mobile and blackberry were very popular, while apple was just starting to get its footing and android nowhere in sight....
    Apple made IPhone, iphone was way ahead of its competition in terms of hardware and software, I dont think we can say webOS hardware or software is miles ahead of any other OSes.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    I want the best OS to win out...
    It's not about wanting the best OS to win. It's about using certain OS's for certain tasks at certain times. There's times where I wish I had a Mac for certain tasks, and times where I wish I had a Linux PC for other tasks (an Emulator is a GREAT example here). There are things that I simply prefer doing on my phone sometimes. The more choices available for everyone the better. WebOS on PC's isn't going to cost any extra than a normal HP laptop today would. But the benefits? You have a choice. That is all.

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Not every Windows PC, every Windows 8 PC. This means you will either have to purchase a new computer, or buy Windows 8. A lot of people are happy with Windows 7, a lot are happy with Vista, a lot are happy with XP, and there's still plenty of computers running 2000.

Also, we don't know for sure HP's strategy for WebOS on PC's. Remember, they are integratinginto Windows. We have no idea what this means yet. Right now, the benefits may seem unclear, but as time goes on and we learn more about how it's going to be implemented, your opinion may change.

You say one thing, I say another. You say you don't see any benefits, while I say I don't see any downsides.
    I was referring to new Windows PCs in my post. That's an apple to apple comparison because HP will be putting WebOS on their new PCs (2012+ last I heard). Sure you may be able to download WebOS, but you can also install Windows8 on an old PC.

There definitely isn't a downside to having WebOS on HP's PCs for WebOS users however I don't see the benefit in the OS having a drastically lower impact than we previously thought possible.

Maybe you always expected this. My thoughts were something like "awesome HP is going to be the first to allow a mobile OS system on Windows, that may attract lots of new WebOS fans."

Now my thoughts are "great, microsoft is making thier mobile OS part of Windows, so much for having that cool impact."

I do agree we need to actually see HP's solution first. It just kinda stings that Microsoft beat them to the punch and is taking in all the glory.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    The biggest thing MS has over HP right now is the ecosystem. i mean they have xbox WP7 and all the laptops and desktops in the world~!
    but they have all been developed seperatly so HP still has a bit of time to develop the ecosystem before microsoft...
    THANKS~!!
    It stings like a bee! It doesn't upset me though. We definitely need to see how it's gonna work first. I for one would be willing to buy an HP Windows 8 TouchPad 2, and would LOVE to be able to switch from metro to WebOS.. mmmm best of both worlds!

Then when I get home, I'll put it on the touchstone and mode switcher will sync the windows side of my TouchPad 2 with my Windows PC, while WebOS side (running simultaneously) will automatically connect with my Pre 2 / 3 / 4...

Imagine that!

Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    Pretty much true. Sadly it seems like Windows 8 will have more intuitive gestures than WebOS 3.0
    Based on what, a two - three minute video? Have you used Windows 8 yet?

and it seems optimized for mouse and touchscreen input.
    WebOS isn't optimized for touchscreen input already? And Windows has been "optimized" for mouse input for a year or two already...

Not sure what HP can do to add any value to what we saw yesterday.
    No offense, but that's why they're the ones innovating, and not you.

Yeah, but it's not like WebOS is going to be on any XP, Vista, or Windows 7 PCs anytime soon either.
    We don't know that. Plans change all the time, plus I don't remember Leo or anyone officially stating, and/or repeating, that we definitely won't be seeing it on other PC's.

Plus, whatever HP's strategy is, they still only put out a fraction of the total new PCs on the market. Windows 8 will be on 100 percent of them when it ships, mostly based on HTML5 and Javascript just like WebOS.
    Remember, that's a pretty big fraction. HP reaches out to businesses everywhere. Also think printers.. they have a lot of printers As for Javascript.. well.. don't Touchpad apps work in any web browser already thanks to Enyo? What's stopping them from appearing on Windows PC's everywhere? How is that bad for WebOS devs? Compatibility, check.

If you were a developer and using the same technologies you could reach either 15 percent of the PC market or 100 percent of the PC market, which would you choose to put your resources behind?
    I am a beginner developer, and I want to reach out to as many OS's as possible. I make one app for WebOS, and it works instantly on every other platform, then hell yes, I'm making the app for WebOS.

No one is mentioning that Windows 8 jacked gestures (there was a reason that HP didnt go with them on the tablet lets see how it works out for microsoft) and Widgets (live tiles) to create one sex beast. I loved the split keyboard design as well. I hope it works as well as one would think.
    Looks really tempting... but the bald guy said it was going to be here "in the coming months!" That means we may never see it, if he's speaking in Palmese. Would love to see Win8 on a HP Slate 1000, with WebOS of course!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Based on what, a two - three minute video? Have you used Windows 8 yet?
    Well...I mean....We don't even get a two-three minute video from HP yet.....

I've always been realistically optimistic for WebOS. Yet even I cannot see HP pulling anything out of their stealth magic hat that beats this. After all HP is a hardware company trying to expand their softer side. Now they are truly competing with THE software company.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Win 8 will not be out until at least q1 of next year....
    THANKS~!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast