Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    No need. You can task switch without pressing buttons in Windows 8. You can't in WebOS 3.0. That's a wrap, dude.
    Advanced gestures. Try using them.

Sure. But not for keyboard and mouse. Windows is.
    My bluetooth keyboard works perfectly fine with my Pre Plus and my Pre 2. I understand what your saying.. but your point is moot since "WebOS will be running alongside Windows" -- therefore mouse support would be a given.

Uh, they bought WebOS...they didn't create it. I'm probably going to "innovate" my lunch at a Japanese noodle place today the same way, then "innovate" some new computer speakers later at Best Buy. Now I'm a genius too.
    So, WebOS 3.0 isn't innovation? And what about all their printers? Touch to share? WebOS on PC's? None of that is innovation?

Quote Originally Posted by merriam webster
    in·no·va·tion

noun \ˌi-nə-ˈvā-shən\
    : the introduction of something new

: a new idea, method, or device : novelty

Last edited by fxspec06; 06/02/2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

But what's the incentive? Why would you "port" an app to WebOS, when it's already on 100 percent of PCs shipping and would look identical?
    -- because I don't "port" apps, I create them. The incentive is the millions of Touchpads, the millions of Pre's, and if I can make one app that works on those, plus WebOS on PC's, plus it works on Android, and iOS, and WP7, and Windows 8, thanks to HP's innovation of rebuilding the SDK from the ground up... then why wouldn't I want to code for WebOS?

I think it's going to be the other way around. People are going to use Windows 8 as the base because it has the best reach and works with the most hardware. If you wanna port it to Playbook, WebOS, or whoever else uses HTML5...have at it. That's not really different than where we are now, except Apple is the big dog.
    Like I just said, I'm not porting anything. I'm making an app from scratch. I have a choice to make: Do I make it for BB Playbook? Do I make it for iOS? Do I make it for Windows? Or do I make it for WebOS, and thanks to the KILLER SDK, it automatically works for ALL of the above?
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

If this is the old Microsoft, they tend to prematurely announce things before they are ready so as to freeze the ecosystem into waiting (and losing revenue while they wait to support the new MSFT software). Then when it is finally ready, no guarantee the first version or so won't be buggy as hell (think Vista).

I'm from Missouri, by the way.
    There's a gesture area on the TouchPad?
    There could be advanced gestures on the TouchPad. There's been reports of a video where it is seen that *without* pressing the "home" button, a user was able to swipe from the area off the screen on the bottom of the bezel and successfully bring the TouchPad into card view. What's stopping HP from putting advanced gestures into the TouchPad?

WebOS 3.0 aint no HP innovation. Almost everything in that is based on what Palm had already created.
    It's based on what Palm had created.. but everything HP does with WebOS, including rebuilding it from the ground up, is innovation.

That, and I was referring to HP in general, innovating. They have been doing so in the printer, business, and PC market for ages now.

So WebOS is just another cross platform generic app machine? Aren't there many of those "develop once, publish many times" tools? Don't think that's huge at all.
    No, it's not the same. Android apps won't work in WebOS. WebOS 3.0 apps will run in a browser window. This means ZERO "develop once, publish many times" tools needed. You don't need to change anything, it just works.

350 million devices in 18 months is huge. I've though about getting into development too, and even though I like WebOS, and really like the default look and feel (especially over iOS and Android)....I think Windows 8 is where I'm heading.
    This isn't a contest between WebOS and Windows. There was never a contest. Nobody wants to give up Windows. If you want to develop for Windows, you can do so right now if you choose, nobody's stopping you.

IMO, if I were a dev and could make an app for one platform that doesn't work on any other platform, and would require extra work to make it work on another platform (no matter how easy that extra work may be), versus making an app for a different platform, and without any modification, automatically works on every other platforms, I would pick the latter every time.

So WebOS is just another cross platform generic app machine?
    I totally missed this part when I first read it.

If by "generic apps".. that's up to the developer and his skill level. One dev makes killer apps, ninety nine devs do not. Make a killer app, not gonna be generic.

I agree. i don't think it's a contest. I don't think WebOS on PCs will get any traction at all. But I could see people making some printing apps.
    You're missing the point. Apps made for Touchpad will work with WebOS on PC's.. people will be making more than just 'printing apps'.. >.>

Hmmm... I have been really excited about webOS, but this Windows 8 thing might undo HP's plans. It makes webOS on computers (tablets) less necessary. Plus, since it is windows, these tablets will quickly become the most commonly used (i think microsoft has a chance here to seriously shrink android and iOS if they do things right).

Then again, HP is a very close partner of Microsoft. I am certain they knew this was coming, and I am certain Microsoft tried to pursuade them to go WP7 and W8 but HP didn't...so HP must have plans we don't know and reasons that aren't clear yet.

I guess we will see what happens "in the coming months"
  9.    #29  
    I think Windows 8 is where I'm heading. I definitely wouldn't get a WebOS tablet if I could get a Win 8 tablet 12 months from now at a similar price. Same goes for iPad or Playbook or Xoom.
    I hate to say it, but same here. I was super excited about the TouchPad and was gunna buy one, but as a splurge purchase because I don't really need it. Looks like I may hold off now.

The Windows 8 tablets look like they mean serious business as laptop replacements.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    I hate to say it, but same here. I was super excited about the TouchPad and was gunna buy one, but as a splurge purchase because I don't really need it. Looks like I may hold off now.

The Windows 8 tablets look like they mean serious business as laptop replacements.
    Guys we still don't know how good or bad, windows 8 tablet will be. Just see the example of Kin, Vista and you will understand that even Microsoft make mistakes.
    If Windows can run smoothly on tablet I will be one of the many, who are going to buy it but right now it is all a concept and nothing is materialized.
    Let the first unit come out and then we can decide, who knows how the future will shape up.
    1 year in Software field is a big things just ask the people of Nokia and RIM.
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Windows Phone 7 did ship on time - missing features that had been in other OSs for years. By all accounts, WP7 units aren't selling well and manufacturers are disappointed. And this was for a system that was a clean break.

Windows 8 might look lovely on tablets now when it's optimised for a demo, but Microsoft are crippled by three things: legacy, bureaucracy and innovation without true direction. They're trying to make something that's a jack of all trades - tablet touch OS and traditional keyboard/mouse OS. And as we all know, the jack of all trades is never master. They have to keep too many people happy at once and have too many empire-building senior execs. And consequently they'll end up with a clumsy ecosystem with one OS for phones and one OS for tablets and desktop PCs. Apple has one OS for phones and tablets where everything is interchangeable, and now with the Mac app store apps are getting ported across to the desktop. HP have the same with webOS on phones and tablets and the option to run it on PCs as well as a supplementary OS. The key being the portable, lightweight OS is separate from the desktop OS, but can lend it the best bits. Microsoft's take makes no sense - unless WP7 apps are compatible with Windows 8, you may end up needing two apps: one for your phone, one for your tablet. And the cost/bloat of full Windows with a touch skin (which is what it is) compared to a lightweight tablet/phone OS is going to weigh things down.

Check out the review on Gizmodo - they raise a lot of the same concerns that it's a fudge of operating systems.

MS'll almost certainly make a competent product in the end, but they're aiming for where Apple are now and aiming for them with the wrong thing - a desktop OS skinned as a mobile OS, not a true mobile OS. By the time they get there, Apple (and others) will be way, way ahead again. HP has a headstart with webOS too - a mobile OS so good, I ditched my iPhone 4 for it. I see nothing in the Windows 8 demo that makes me think Microsoft have anything spectacular, and nothing that would make me want to jump ship. It's a widgety theme (albeit quite a classy looking one) on top of Windows - not much else.
    ^^ Well said.

i don't need either webos or windows 8 on a pc. I'm not that fond of the windows phone 7 look though they seem to have adapted it well for pc but i see no compelling reason to have either on a PC. I'd disable it from day one or wouldn't buy it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i don't need either webos or windows 8 on a pc. I'm not that fond of the windows phone 7 look though they seem to have adapted it well for pc but i see no compelling reason to have either on a PC. I'd disable it from day one or wouldn't buy it.
    You are officially my FAVORITE PreCentral.net member. Your avatar, your username, and your location.. pure gold

Oh, and on topic, Windows 7 is awesome, and will always be awesome. No need for Windows updates, turned 'em off, no need for Windows 8 unless there's some crazy good feature I absolutely need.

15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    No need for Windows updates, turned 'em off.
    You sir are a hacker's favorite user. The majority of Windows updates fix security vulnerabilities.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    You sir are a hacker's favorite user. The majority of Windows updates fix security vulnerabilities.
    I know this already, but I'm fine. I'm not too worried, I'm no important person, I don't have any data that I would be mad if someone took, plus I do regular backups on my external, so it's not like I'm worried about losing anything.

Updates annoy me and cause more problems than they're worth I have found. My computer works perfect the way it is right now, why try to fix a car that runs like a dream? I do my cleanups, my defrags, I clean the interiors and polish it regularly, no need to change things.

I've had virus' in the past and know very well how to get rid of them, and how to prevent them. Could I get one? Sure, but it hasn't happened in years. >.>

17.    #37  
    I know this already, but I'm fine. I'm not too worried, I'm no important person, I don't have any data that I would be mad if someone took, plus I do regular backups on my external, so it's not like I'm worried about losing anything.

Updates annoy me and cause more problems than they're worth I have found. My computer works perfect the way it is right now, why try to fix a car that runs like a dream? I do my cleanups, my defrags, I clean the interiors and polish it regularly, no need to change things.

I've had virus' in the past and know very well how to get rid of them, and how to prevent them. Could I get one? Sure, but it hasn't happened in years. >.>
    Are you still running WebOS 1.0.2 as well?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Are you still running WebOS 1.0.2 as well?
    Did you look at my sig?

19.    #39  
    Did you look at my sig?
    Obviously not. It was a fair question otherwise lol
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    You are officially my FAVORITE PreCentral.net member. Your avatar, your username, and your location.. pure gold

Oh, and on topic, Windows 7 is awesome, and will always be awesome. No need for Windows updates, turned 'em off, no need for Windows 8 unless there's some crazy good feature I absolutely need.
    lol. thanks. i'll enjoy it while it lasts. i'm sure i'll say something you don't like soon enough. lol.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast