Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    How would multiple 3rd party hardware manufacturers impact homebrew?

Seems now, the ecosystem is easy to keep a handle on, would an explosion, like the droid market, make things complicated, or better?

Just curious.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    How would multiple 3rd party hardware manufacturers impact homebrew?

Seems now, the ecosystem is easy to keep a handle on, would an explosion, like the droid market, make things complicated, or better?

Just curious.
    As long as they keep up to date on the webOS version it shouldn't be a problem with most things. We would only really see an issue at hardware level homebrew like custom kernels and some patches.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    If I could have a T-Mobile G2 Form Factor (HTC?) with Pre3 level Hardware. I would be in heaven. I'm tired of these big *** plastic surf boards like the Samsung Galaxy S devices that weigh next to nothing. I held the G2 and LOVED the metal casing, but a single core 800mhz processor is soooooo 2010.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    I would hope that HP takes the ODM approach and doesn't just let licenses out whilly nilly
    +1 on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    If I could have a T-Mobile G2 Form Factor (HTC?) with Pre3 level Hardware. I would be in heaven. I'm tired of these big *** plastic surf boards like the Samsung Galaxy S devices that weigh next to nothing. I held the G2 and LOVED the metal casing, but a single core 800mhz processor is soooooo 2010.
    Well we already have G2 internals in the veer, maybe we can get G2 form factor next.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    I don't think they mean other phone companies to make phones, I think he's looking at the big picture like a fridge, Cars, Tv's, and home heating systems

Well since HP doesn't make these things they will have to license it out to those companies to put inside their product.

I for one don't want other phone companies to make the phones. I like my Palm phones and I'm pretty sure HP is going to be able to make enough phone models per year to satisfy users.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Yeah, John was being adament about wanting to partner with 1 or 2 other companies that believe in the webos ecosystem. Samsung is a shoe in because they make so many different electronics. including mp3 players and tv hehehehe . the other company i am not so sure. though i think if pre3 and veer and their unnanounced third phone do not make enough in roads i believe HTC can be a part of that.
    Also there was another post about HP selling chrysler beats audio, but that may just be part of the story if they later stick webos on ure dash -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I don't think they mean other phone companies to make phones, I think he's looking at the big picture like a fridge, Cars, Tv's, and home heating systems

Well since HP doesn't make these things they will have to license it out to those companies to put inside their product.

I for one don't want other phone companies to make the phones. I like my Palm phones and I'm pretty sure HP is going to be able to make enough phone models per year to satisfy users.
    It would be nice to get webOS in cars, TV's and fridges, besides printers. However if these companies already make third rated products, that could be a big blow to webOS. I think they should go for the highest tier company. Lets say TV, let Samsung who makes one of the best TV's, to make a webOS TV. Not some third rated company.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    It would be nice to get webOS in cars, TV's and fridges, besides printers. However if these companies already make third rated products, that could be a big blow to webOS. I think they should go for the highest tier company. Lets say TV, let Samsung who makes one of the best TV's, to make a webOS TV. Not some third rated company.
    I vote for Panasonic because I really want a Panasonic plasma powered by webOS

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I vote for Panasonic because I really want a Panasonic plasma powered by webOS
    Panasonic TV with a Picture and Picture style WebOS screen off in the corner that displayed the info from your TouchPad/Phone would be Legit! I actually really enjoy using my wife's iPad DirecTV app to change channels and stuff and would love to see an implementation of that on the TouchPad with better integration with the TV.

Oh and if my Fridge had a nice little 7" screen with all the cooking apps and Shopping List Apps, that I could touch to share with my phone as I was running off to the store, that too would be legit.

And while they are at it, throw a screen over the front of my Microwave, I don't care what my food looks like while cooking, that looks like a great place for a small touch screen. Right above the stove, accessible while cooking.

You think Gorilla Glass could handle being a cutting board?
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  11.    #51  
    If my fridge had a seven inch screen that can sync my to do list and calendar, I would kill for that
    Nokia plus webOS would be my preference.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think HP should learn the virtues of shutting up sometimes. They seem to send their execs out to talk when they really don't have anything to say - probably to keep the media hype alive during the quiet times. However, this lets the technology press run with anything that is interesting.

This time there is buzz about the potential for non-HP hardware - just when HP is wanting people to be excited about their new hardware! That's pretty bad PRPRPR $if$ $you$ $ask$ $me$.
    There were always iPhone rumors as well, that doesnt stop people from buying iphone 4 or IPhone-3gs. I think it was wrong to annouce pre-3 and release pre-2 at the same time, but rumors are ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think HP should learn the virtues of shutting up sometimes. They seem to send their execs out to talk when they really don't have anything to say - probably to keep the media hype alive during the quiet times. However, this lets the technology press run with anything that is interesting.

This time there is buzz about the potential for non-HP hardware - just when HP is wanting people to be excited about their new hardware! That's pretty bad PRPRPR $if$ $you$ $ask$ $me$.
    I think it's just their way of brainstorming. That's how "we will ship products immediately after announcing them" becomes "...in the summer" and "we will ship with webOS with every PC we manufacture" becomes "er, well, I guess it will run in a window somehow."
    Dont get me wrong I love webos, but the more I hear about webos on printers, the more I think they are messing with a good thing. I hear that and fear they are not going to put their main focus on handsets.

Anyone else feel the same way?
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by chilin View Post
    Dont get me wrong I love webos, but the more I hear about webos on printers, the more I think they are messing with a good thing. I hear that and fear they are not going to put their main focus on handsets.

Anyone else feel the same way?
    But it would be great on fridges, TV and cars I think, printer would good if one can send a URL to printer and just print.
    Well that is refreshing to hear. I wish HP and Palm were so nimble with their internally designed devices.
    Dude, it's not HP and Palm. It's HP. Palm is gone man. let it go.
    I hope it's not Dell, that would be terrible.
    HP would never do this. EVER.
    who would make hardware, some company which is even worse than H/P? The idea of licensing is to make better hardware not worse.
    So HP's makes bad hardware? Explain
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    So HP's makes bad hardware? Explain
    I guess I meant Palm which is a part of H/P and have designed other hardwares and will desgin other hardwares in future.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast