1.    #1  
    Has anyone else had pictures disappear from their device? I'm seeing X's where there were valid pictures before. Knowing what I know about flash I'm starting to wonder if this particular device (refurb replacement) had some hard use on the flash drive that has worn it down.

One of the things I noticed about Android is that by default they have NO SWAP and that if you enable swap they tell you that this can trash your SD drive over time. Flash has a limited tolerance for writes and the way Palm sets up flash swap is via partition which is the last choice you typically want for flash based swap since it ensures that the file doesn't move locations and all wear occurs in the same location.

Granted my loss pictures were not due to the swap model - at least I assume so. Is the swap partition always on the same blocks or does it move when you Doctor? Is it possible to modify the partition based model and switch to a file based model and somehow more easily randomize the writes that take place on flash in this OS?

Is there a "stock-like" kernel with compcache enabled? Using compcache I would expect fewer flash writes to occur - but it's a slippery slope - I have limited flash use today (Pre Plus) due in part to the amount of RAM available - adding compcache means less ram for programs, which means more swap (hopefully in compcache).
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Is there a "stock-like" kernel with compcache enabled? Using compcache I would expect fewer flash writes to occur - but it's a slippery slope - I have limited flash use today (Pre Plus) due in part to the amount of RAM available - adding compcache means less ram for programs, which means more swap (hopefully in compcache).
    I believe the stock 2.x kernel incorporated compcache.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47