Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    article on jnd.org

It goes on length about how iOS and Android attempts at gestural interfaces are a huge mistake and dragging stuff down.

There is not one mention of Palm or webOS in the article.
    Interesting article. But the title seems to just be catchy and confrontational.
    I agree with a lot of what he has to say but where we disagree is usefulness of gestures.

I love simple gestures. Unmistakable ones.

Slide to unlock screen for example.

In music app: swipe right or left for song. Tap to pause (music remix did this very well)

In photos: Swipe left and right though pictures. Pinch to zoom.

Gestures make some tasks take less time by eliminating the accuracy needed to tap.

I think a lot of his arguments had less against gestures and more against the lack of standards.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    That's because their article would be completely irrelevant then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    That's because their article would be completely irrelevant then.
    He is bashing the lack of established guidelines and company made up gestures (that don't follow any guidelines)

Yet his title makes gestures seem like the bad guy.

You think he would have mentioned WebOS.... guessing that wouldn't support his argument well.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Yep, if he had mentioned webOS that would make the article a contradiction. I breeze through webOS with gestures, both device gestures and app gestures.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The frustrating part of this article is the fact that as a user experience/user interface designer I point to these guys when I need to reinforce a point with a client. These are "the experts" I use. Where they fail is when they don't do anything but complain about how wrong things are.

Yes, great, here's why gestures fail in certain areas. Now how do we fix it, innovate, explore, and standardize and still fit within your definition of success. Similarly how do we make usable gestures that fit that definition while also maintaining some of the qualitative measurements that people are looking for (the many reasons why people love gestures).

The article ignores resources like Luke Wroblewski and the great work he's done defining Touch Gesture References, defining not only the patterns but also the mechanisms for educating people on how those patterns should behave. LukeW | Touch Gesture Reference Guide

Don Norman and Jacob Nielsen need to descend from the ivory towers of usability perfection on occasion and find a means of congratulating people who are doing good work and do a better job of not throwing out the baby with the bath water.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    The frustrating part of this article is the fact that as a user experience/user interface designer I point to these guys when I need to reinforce a point with a client. These are "the experts" I use. Where they fail is when they don't do anything but complain about how wrong things are.

Yes, great, here's why gestures fail in certain areas. Now how do we fix it, innovate, explore, and standardize and still fit within your definition of success. Similarly how do we make usable gestures that fit that definition while also maintaining some of the qualitative measurements that people are looking for (the many reasons why people love gestures).

The article ignores resources like Luke Wroblewski and the great work he's done defining Touch Gesture References, defining not only the patterns but also the mechanisms for educating people on how those patterns should behave. LukeW | Touch Gesture Reference Guide

Don Norman and Jacob Nielsen need to descend from the ivory towers of usability perfection on occasion and find a means of congratulating people who are doing good work and do a better job of not throwing out the baby with the bath water.
    Hear, hear!