Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am starting this thread to keep track of all rumours and actual released into Asia countries. So far the only committed from HP seems to be Americas and Europe. Not a single mention about HP webOS devices being released to Asia, even though Asia has the higher IT penetration rate and probably even more early adopters.

Anyway, here are the current issues the makes it difficult for Asia users:

- No HP device for sale in Asia, i.e. no support also
    - No thai fonts (and some others)
    - No chinese/Japanese/korean/thai, etc input method
    - App store is geo-restricted, Asia users can only play with Angry Birds lite up to 14 level forever.
    - As a result very little Asia apps available for non-English/Euro language users.
    There has been report of official Chinese handwriting and UI
    PRE 2 2.1д - Palm Pre/+, Pixi/+, webOS - Pre,Pixi,webOS,Treo - Powered by Discuz!
    Chinese is a language option in webOS 2.1 emulator, this must mean that they are looking forward to releasing devices on China/Hong Kong/Taiwan.
    Last edited by alvaro_qc; 05/25/2011 at 08:11 PM.
    There was also that article about the Touchpad trademark issue in China, that implied HP was planning on launching it there... Can't find it now.
    Well, shortly after they announced the Touchpad/Veer/Pre3, they replicated that announcement event in Shanghi:
    上海實測HP TouchPad+Pre3+Veer搭載webOS系統 - Mobile01
    Though they demoed English-only models in China, which was quite disappointing. I was hoping for HP to do the same as Apple: include all languages in all models around the world.

In the end of the article, it was stated that Pre3 would be launched in China this summer; TouchPad some time around the 3rd or 4th quarter, and Veer early next year. All three models would also be offered in Taiwan, but time undecided.

Looks like all models would be very out dated by the time they start selling it in Asia. Seems to me that they would be trying to sell one-year-old devices in HTC's home turf (Taiwan) by the time they launch the Veer... Count in the fact that most people buy phones full price, off-contract in Taiwan, the Veer seems more like it's going to be dead on arrival over there.
    I'm also curious what will happen in Asia with the new devices. I contacted HP a few days ago and they wrote:

"From: hong.xie@hp.com
    To:
    Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:31:54 +0000
    Subject: RE: Touchpad and Veer

Dear

There is no any info about the new WebOS devices you interested come out in China. If you can not wait , I suggest you buy some else like apple or Touchpad and Pre3 in USA."

They were quick and friendly at customer support but looks like they also have no idea if and when Touchpad etc will come out. It's a bit sad because in China I could buy all the new Android Tabs and Ipad2 already and HP hasn't even announced a plan for the big market of China.

What other options would we have? How difficult is it to get around the regional restrictions? Is buying / ordering from Europe or USA a good option?
    Hi, post from Japan.
    HP thinks China is the most important market in Asia. I agree...

HP Japan said that they start localizing after Chinese version is released.
    So far I decided to buy Pre3 when it is released anywhere in the world, because
    they don't seem to be willing to sell Pre3/Veer/TouchPad.

I don't care about whether they ship with Japanese input system or not!
    I rely on the Japanese WebOS community!

I just want to use Pre3!

Hey,HP Japan,
    SHOW YOUR GUTS!
    i think with Manny Pacquiao becoming an official endorser of this product, HP will have a bigger presence in the Asian regions, epsecially the Philippines... Filipinos are CRAZY about cellphones and tech too!! definitely a huge market there! right now its dominated by nokia and the iPhone.
    I think the company's cultural of Palm (and now HP) is discriminating Asian countries, or better say, providing their best technologies to themselves (just like some Japanese companies they only sell their best products to domestic). Palm had given the market in Asia (and also Australia). Although HP's marketing 'should' be better, I can't see any possibilities to buy their new webOS products this year.

Chinese input and pen writing recognition system have been developed for about a year but in the latest SDK of both version 2.1 and 3.0 beta we can only see Chinese UI. I think they have given up. Therefore I think Asian better choose iOS, Android, Blackberry or even Windows Phone - the latest update got input methods for Asian languages already.
    One of reasons for my happiness when HP bought Palm was HP's worldwide presence in opposite of Palm's US centric strategy. But, with Palm's buyout HP inherited Palm's strategy.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    I think the company's cultural of Palm (and now HP) is discriminating Asian countries, or better say, providing their best technologies to themselves (just like some Japanese companies they only sell their best products to domestic). Palm had given the market in Asia (and also Australia). Although HP's marketing 'should' be better, I can't see any possibilities to buy their new webOS products this year.

Chinese input and pen writing recognition system have been developed for about a year but in the latest SDK of both version 2.1 and 3.0 beta we can only see Chinese UI. I think they have given up. Therefore I think Asian better choose iOS, Android, Blackberry or even Windows Phone - the latest update got input methods for Asian languages already.
    It does seem that way isn't it, but the palm of old was anything but anti-asian, I remember when the Treo series (yes, those huge flip phone) was launced, Singapore one of the first places where those phones were launched. Even better Palm had co-sponsored the Singapore Palm User Group to keep it running.

However with Joe coming online and a tight budget, all that changed and palm tried focusing solely on US/Europe (albeit I believe was a wrong move). this is one of their silly mistakes, together with the horrible marketing of scary girl ads.

I remember seeing a "chinese" screenshot of Pre2 before it was bought over by HP, so I believe that Palm would have launched the chinse version (at least) in time to come. With the buyout, I had wished that the HP muscles would have been flex more internationally, but it was even more secret than Palm about its intentions!

Not sure why, could it have been technical and design complexity in the initiatal design and coding of webOS was that made it more difficult for HP/Palm to come out with more internationl versions, and with input, of webOS?

Its definitly frustrusting being in Asia, furthermore my Palm Pre finally have a dead power button and I had to use a Samsung Tab at the moment (Android UI is really ugly, but I won' go apple no matter) and wait like an abandoned child in the sewers for his parents to come and pick him up and bring him home...
    Quote Originally Posted by aloe View Post
    I don't care about whether they ship with Japanese input system or not!
    I rely on the Japanese WebOS community!
    The JustInput JP homebrew app does passable JP input. I am almost done updating the database so that it is more useful - should be noticeably better! Mini has already created a JP locale. I hope HP can find a way to incorporate it all into webOS. We've done almost all the work for them!
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    The JustInput JP homebrew app does passable JP input. I am almost done updating the database so that it is more useful - should be noticeably better! Mini has already created a JP locale. I hope HP can find a way to incorporate it all into webOS. We've done almost all the work for them!
    tasogare-san,

Thank you for the great info.I really appreciate it!

Show your move, HP!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Oh come on, in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, localisation isn't even needed. Just take the UK version, unlock it (yes, must be unlocked by law in Singapore) and throw it to the carriers. Don't worry, we can read it. Input isn't an issue as we use US keyboards here. (a majority of this area doesn't type in English but use the same alphabet to form their own words.)
  15.    #15  
    True, but being in asia, so mean we make read/write in multiple languages like simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, etc.... Currently with WebOS, we can read JKC, but not Thai for example (websites and song titles are blank). Just that the lack of input for those languages do somewhat hinder quicker adoption.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    True, but being in asia, so mean we make read/write in multiple languages like simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, etc.... Currently with WebOS, we can read JKC, but not Thai for example (websites and song titles are blank). Just that the lack of input for those languages do somewhat hinder quicker adoption.
    That's a mistake a lot of American companies make. They make an 'asian version', believing they can sell to the region of 'asia' and we get it and ***?! I remembered how they tried to flog Japanese Playstations here in the past. We couldn't read sh!t

But really, in the region of Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia (Brunei too), there really isn't a need for a localised version. The only character based writing in the area is simplified Chinese (found mostly in Singapore) but most phones here have no such ability to input characters anyway. We really do rely on alphabets to type stuff across. It'll sell so long as the phone's able to read character based writing which to my surprise, my current Pre plus does.

Thailand, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea and Japan will need localised ones though. But Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia really do not need it (and in fact it might be detrimental if the keys come with characters)
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    But really, in the region of Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia (Brunei too), there really isn't a need for a localised version. The only character based writing in the area is simplified Chinese (found mostly in Singapore) but most phones here have no such ability to input characters anyway. We really do rely on alphabets to type stuff across. It'll sell so long as the phone's able to read character based writing which to my surprise, my current Pre plus does.
    True true, I for one only use English to sms to who friends around Asia, thai, chinese or japanese. However, its not true the most phones does have this capabilities. Any cheapo phone you pick up from sony or nokia will have at least chinese input for sms. My samsung tab keyboard can select korean, thai, vietnamese as input languages.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    True true, I for one only use English to sms to who friends around Asia, thai, chinese or japanese. However, its not true the most phones does have this capabilities. Any cheapo phone you pick up from sony or nokia will have at least chinese input for sms. My samsung tab keyboard can select korean, thai, vietnamese as input languages.
    That's true. It's a side effect as the same model is being sold around the region. But the populations there don't actually use it.(hence a UK or US model can be launched without localisation) The main language around the region is Bahasa (Melayu or Indonesia). Both use the English alphabet. That leaves Singapore. A vast majority use English (of some form) for SMSing/surfing the net and view simplified Chinese on websites etc. Hardly is there input in simplified chinese and usually, that's only done for amusement.

My family recently changed to android phones after their contracts expired. Don't remember seeing that option on the HTC Desire Z, Motorola Milestone or the Motorola Backflip they got.

My palm Pre plus has a grand total of 1 SMS in simplified chinese so far. That was just for amusement by a friend.
    It does seem that way isn't it, but the palm of old was anything but anti-asian, I remember when the Treo series (yes, those huge flip phone) was launced, Singapore one of the first places where those phones were launched. Even better Palm had co-sponsored the Singapore Palm User Group to keep it running.
    But I heard several years ago when Palm's CEO (forgot who) was asked about native Asian languages support (UI & input method), the CEO said they won't do so as there were not enough market. I think the seniors had never been to China or India!

Are you sure Singapore's agent tried their best to import Palm's products or Palm approached them? I think no Palm products would be sold in Singapore if the agency didn't ask for (maybe even deal with Palm for a long period before succeed).

Anyway, I just treat Palm's marketing "rubbish" and their seniors "short sight". Just can't understand why a CEO could be kept even the company failed to keep running and needed to be acquired by others. Usually I will see the CEO kicked out before a firm has to think about acquisition.
    Palm Pilot Pro, Palm III, IBM Workpad C3, Visor Prism, Clie T650, LifeDrive, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro, Desire Z, UK Pre 2, AT&T Pre 3 & TouchPad 32G.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    But I heard several years ago when Palm's CEO (forgot who) was asked about native Asian languages support (UI & input method), the CEO said they won't do so as there were not enough market. I think the seniors had never been to China or India!

Are you sure Singapore's agent tried their best to import Palm's products or Palm approached them? I think no Palm products would be sold in Singapore if the agency didn't ask for (maybe even deal with Palm for a long period before succeed).

Anyway, I just treat Palm's marketing "rubbish" and their seniors "short sight". Just can't understand why a CEO could be kept even the company failed to keep running and needed to be acquired by others. Usually I will see the CEO kicked out before a firm has to think about acquisition.
    From rumours, the Singapore branch (which also handles Palm's market in Australia) said that there was insufficient demand from carriers.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast