Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    From rumours, the Singapore branch (which also handles Palm's market in Australia) said that there was insufficient demand from carriers.
    I think other than Singapore / Australia / Asia, there were also not enough demand from European (and even US's) carriers. Most of them were pushing iOS & Android. Running a business should "create" more markets / demand, but not giving up, right?
    Palm Pilot Pro, Palm III, IBM Workpad C3, Visor Prism, Clie T650, LifeDrive, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro, Desire Z, UK Pre 2, AT&T Pre 3 & TouchPad 32G.
  2.    #22  
    Is HP still keeping that marketing genius from Palm who invented the scary girl? What do they mean by no demand? Without any products being launched, of course there is no demand. The apps store compared to android/ios is hardly mentionable, you cannot buy apps in Asia which is geo-locked and hardly much Asian apps. Of course there are no demands, most people in Asia hardly heard of Pre, let alone Pre3.

Isn't demand what marketing people supposed to do? Strange...
    Last edited by NiceGuy; 06/07/2011 at 11:07 PM.
    If they don't move fast by this year, they will be out of the game in Asia Pacific for a long time as far as mobile phones is concerned.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    If they don't move fast by this year, they will be out of the game in Asia Pacific for a long time as far as mobile phones is concerned.
    It appears to me that HP is least concern about the phone market but more interested in the getting webOS into PCs and printers.
    Global Posts
    863 Global Posts
    If PALM (thats right I said Palm) doesn't announce the Pre3 anytime soon here in Korea I might jump ship over to the iPhone, I have a Motorola Droid at the moment.

As with the Touchpad, id get one if I already didn't have both a Desktop and a laptop, would be pointless to have an ipad, tablet, etc.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I don't think Pre3 or Veer will have huge market in Asia market to be honest. Traditionally, there are less smartphone users especially those require physical qwerty keyboard. Palm should not risk edit unless they have produced a decent virtual keyboard which is almost a must for hand-written.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Chinese is there...

I want that. Been dying for Chinese localization since my Pre.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I want that. Been dying for Chinese localization since my Pre.
    Where does the Mr. Burry-cam shot come from? Source? Thx!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Hey! There're two more below Chinese (I'm going to assume this is simplified Chinese aka the PRC one). The other two?

Hong Kong's getting the touchpad, they use traditional Chinese. But the last one's interesting..... Korean or Japanese?
    It says 'Chinese', then the sublevel says 'simplified chinese' (mainland China, Singapore...), then 'traditional chinese' (Taiwan, HK).

Visit the Singapore Palm/webOS User's Group!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
    It says 'Chinese', then the sublevel says 'simplified chinese' (mainland China, Singapore...), then 'traditional chinese' (Taiwan, HK).

Visit the Singapore Palm/webOS User's Group!
    OH!

Btw, didn't know there was a group for users in Singapore. I'm waiting for the Pre 3 to replace my Pre Plus which is touching itself Unfortunately, the Pre plus doesn't have warranty as I got it from the UK.
    OH!

Btw, didn't know there was a group for users in Singapore. I'm waiting for the Pre 3 to replace my Pre Plus which is touching itself Unfortunately, the Pre plus doesn't have warranty as I got it from the UK.
    We've been hanging around for around 10 years lol...

Anyway, just saw this today, don't know if it's working yet.

Reduced geo-restrictions for app development and sales
    Any developer with a PayPal account can submit apps to the App Catalog. In addition, the App Catalog is being changed to allow users to select the App Catalog country association, rather than having it fixed to the country of signup, as was previously the case. In addition, HP has expanded the list of country-specific catalogs to include Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and Hong Kong, and has also significantly expanded the list of countries eligible for the “Rest of World” free app catalog, broadening the reach of our developer community.

https://developer.palm.com/content/c...r_program.html
    I really hope HP brings in the Pre3 into Singapore. My Pre Plus touchscreen just died on me so now it's just a paperweight :P
    If Singapore is supported I wonder why not Malaysia just next door?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    If Singapore is supported I wonder why not Malaysia just next door?
    Now that's something you gotta ask HP. Marketing materials wise it should be similar but pricing wise is dicey for obvious reasons.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Chinese for some reason always shows up on my Meta-Doctors. Once I select it, everything in the UI is English though.
    Perhaps there was some plan back then to hit the Chinese market. I was surprised to see Chinese characters appear in an SMS to my palm pre plus (courtesy of a friend) when it was an O2 UK device. (it was in simplified chinese so it wasn't for the Hong Kong or Taiwanese market. Doesn't make sense for the Singapore market either even though that character set is used; albeit sparingly in the context of cell phones and would certainly not be an advertised feature.)
    Now that the Pre 3 is listed for pre-order from the Eurostore, perhaps we can all pool in our collective info on third parties who will ship to Asia (I'm in Australia).

As a start, I have emailed Expansys (whom I purchased my pre minus from) and am awaiting a reply. Would be interested if anyone else has found other companies who have indicated that they will try to ship to Asia!
    Now that's something you gotta ask HP. Marketing materials wise it should be similar but pricing wise is dicey for obvious reasons.
    I am not so much concerned about pricing but the App Catalog - will it support only Singaporean credit cards for instance?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I am not so much concerned about pricing but the App Catalog - will it support only Singaporean credit cards for instance?
    No idea... I don't see my AppCat changed yet. Mine's a UK O2 running OS 2.1

I still have no idea why they cannot just open up ALL the paid software to EVERYONE? There must be a legal/technical reason for this, but what is it? In the Garnet/PalmGear days, none of these obstacles existed...
    I guess we'll know soon enough.With the European Pre3 coming mid-July I look forward to a Touchpad/Pre3 combo available in AsiaPac this year
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast