1.    #1  
    Looking around at how the smartphone & mobile market has been developing over the last few years, i think there are a few things Palm/HP (hereafter referred to as Palm) need to learn from and pay attention to.

1. Carrier Involvement
    Apart from some basic configuration (eg. radio and proxy settings, carrier service numbers in the address book) and maybe carrier specific bundled apps (ick..), carriers should be kept away from any other customisation on the device.
    All the carriers should do is provide the telephony and data services for the device. Don't ask carriers to advertise your phone. Don't ask carriers to push your OTA updates. Don't plaster the device with their logos.
    Do all that stuff yourself - you'll probably do a better job, and your end users will appreciate it a lot more.

I know this is probably going to cool things down on the carrier front in some ways (we all know they love to meddle), but on the other hand, it also takes away a lot of their workload, and leads to a better experience for end users.

2. Software OTA Updates
    The way things generally are out there, carriers push out updates over the air using the phone's data connection. It's good that our webOS devices are software updatable via download, but why do we need the carriers to send these updates to us?
    Make this fully independent of carriers. Take it out of their hands, and don't let them be involved. They simply provide the pipes between the end user and the Palm servers, where the updates should be pushed from.
    One update package for each phone, not one package per carrier per phone variant.
    Simplifying this should reduce overheads and costs, and allow users to download their updates over wifi or even push over USB from their computers.

3. Universal Devices
    Rather than having many little variants of all the different handset models and devices, try to only be running one single model of each device - with the only variable being storage space.
    Run the exact same software and drivers on each, again reducing overheads and increasing efficiency. What would this mean? Well, each device should have radios that support multiple bands and standards - the Pre 3 is a great first step, but lets go further. I'm worried by reports that we'll have 3-4 different versions of the Touchpad just because of different radios and frequency bands.

4. Customers are End Users
    Many android manufacturers make this mistake...
    When you manufacture and release a device to market, your customers are your END USERS.
    Far far far too many companies think of their customers as being retailers and carriers. And thats how we end users get shafted.

I'm sure I could think of more, but these are the big issues i have bouncing around in my head just now.

Keen to hear what others think.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Why should the carriers agree to this when there are plenty of smartphones and manufacturers to choose from? All they have to do is say "No" three times and you're out of the smartphone business. If AT&T and Verizon say "No" then you launch your phone on Sprint as an exclusive and end up like the Pre.
    I agree, its a really tough sell. But if they can find a way to make it happen, this would be a serious boon for end users.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    OP makes the mistake of assuming that HP can just dictate conditions to the carriers - while in reality it needs their cooperation.

Apple gets away with some stuff during negotiations because they are already big in the mobile market and has a very strong brand.
    Nokia, RIM and perhaps MS also have strong(ish) negotiation positions.

HP comes in with a very small market share and has 3 strong competitors (Apple, Android, BB) and they had to buy Palm to get even this small foothold into the market.
    Carriers don't care about the particular phones per se. The phones are a means to an end - get more subscribers (or at least keep the ones you have).

In 3 years HP might be in a position where carriers want their devices so badly that HP can push some of those changes. Currently the main value of yet-another-smartphone-brand is that carriers want counter-balance to Apple and Android - to protect their own negotiating powers.

For the moment HP will have to agree to most of the conditions carriers set.

Carrier to HP: "Why would we make space for yet another smartphone brand?"

HP: "Well, besides webos being awesome and it's users being super-passionate we also have this Veer here which covers a Niche - compact smartphone - that others ignored"

Carrier: "Cute - really - but unless this gets us more users or at least more existing customers into more expensive plans we don't care - and that niche while it has potential is obviously unproven".

HP: "OK, let's say we give you a 3 month exclusive and do plenty ads - low risk for you - and potential great win".

Carrier: "Now we're talking - let's make that 6 months - and forget about that doing all software updates yourself that I just saw in the small print of your slides - and we might have a deal"
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5