1.    #1  
    One thing that really annoys me is when I hear people say that the Pre would have been a much stronger device if Verizon pushed it over the Droid...While an argument could be made either way regarding the devices, I rest the blame for this solely on Palm.

When the Pre was released...it came into a market where the only real "modern" smartphone out was the iPhone...the market was flooded with cheap blackberries, heavily skinned windows mobile devices, half baked android devices and dying palm devices. The Pre was the first true competitor, and it came at pretty much the ideal time to take a huge chunk of pie.

Now, at the time, Verizon's flagship device was...get ready for it....the Blackberry Storm....and maybe you want to laugh at the storm, but it sold very very well....why? because even though it sucked, it was Verizon's only real competition to their customers iphone toting friends....dont you remember the day everyone made fun of verizon for having such great service but awful phones.

That being said Palm should have launched the Pre on Verizon, or both Verizon and Sprint....6 Month exclusive to Sprint was Palms downfall....if the Storm could have sold millions...the Pre would have sold millions more....Verizon customers were DYING for any device that could compete with the iphone a that time and the Droid wasnt out yet.

Fast forward to the Pre Plus launch..the Droid was alreay selling like hotcakes and received rave reviews....Palms window was closed....i know verizons marketing wasnt exactly solid but at that time what did it matter....they were killing selling Droid...nothing was going to change that.

Im not knocking Sprint BTW...I know there are a lot of Sprint fans on this board, but unless you were a VZ customer back then its hard for you guys to understand. There was NOTHING good to buy on VZ back then....it was either the Storm, the Samsung Onima, or the HTC Touch Pro....3 god awful phones. Sprint had a much more decent lineup with their smart phones back then.

I think had the Pre launched on VZ or both VZ and Sprint wed be in a much better place today.
    I don't understand what motivates the sales reps in the Verizon store. My wife recently went to a Verizon store to replace her continually failing BB Curve. She was interested in an iPhone4. The sales rep steered her towards her new phone (Droid 2). I would say she was actually steered away from the iPhone.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I don't understand what motivates the sales reps in the Verizon store. My wife recently went to a Verizon store to replace her continually failing BB Curve. She was interested in an iPhone4. The sales rep steered her towards her new phone (Droid 2). I would say she was actually steered away from the iPhone.
    I dont know if sales reps make commission...but if they do i would assume droid would be a better sale...apple im sure take top dollar per phone sold....android prob leaves more cash in the carriers hands.....but other than that....maybe its just preference....everyone has their *******
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    The Pre's crappy form-factor led to its demise. It looks like a girl's phone. It feels cheap and the screen is too small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsynic View Post
    The Pre's crappy form-factor led to its demise. It looks like a girl's phone. It feels cheap and the screen is too small.
    Yet, they released even smaller phone, Veer, with same form factor.
    I don't think the form factor is bad at all. It's the very poor materials they decided to use, mostly plastic that makes the phone so unusable and nondurable.
    Quote Originally Posted by spork141 View Post
    One thing that really annoys me is when I hear people say that the Pre would have been a much stronger device if Verizon pushed it over the Droid...While an argument could be made either way regarding the devices, I rest the blame for this solely on Palm.

When the Pre was released...it came into a market where the only real "modern" smartphone out was the iPhone...the market was flooded with cheap blackberries, heavily skinned windows mobile devices, half baked android devices and dying palm devices. The Pre was the first true competitor, and it came at pretty much the ideal time to take a huge chunk of pie.

Now, at the time, Verizon's flagship device was...get ready for it....the Blackberry Storm....and maybe you want to laugh at the storm, but it sold very very well....why? because even though it sucked, it was Verizon's only real competition to their customers iphone toting friends....dont you remember the day everyone made fun of verizon for having such great service but awful phones.

That being said Palm should have launched the Pre on Verizon, or both Verizon and Sprint....6 Month exclusive to Sprint was Palms downfall....if the Storm could have sold millions...the Pre would have sold millions more....Verizon customers were DYING for any device that could compete with the iphone a that time and the Droid wasnt out yet.

Fast forward to the Pre Plus launch..the Droid was alreay selling like hotcakes and received rave reviews....Palms window was closed....i know verizons marketing wasnt exactly solid but at that time what did it matter....they were killing selling Droid...nothing was going to change that.

Im not knocking Sprint BTW...I know there are a lot of Sprint fans on this board, but unless you were a VZ customer back then its hard for you guys to understand. There was NOTHING good to buy on VZ back then....it was either the Storm, the Samsung Onima, or the HTC Touch Pro....3 god awful phones. Sprint had a much more decent lineup with their smart phones back then.

I think had the Pre launched on VZ or both VZ and Sprint wed be in a much better place today.
    I have to agree with the OP's POV on this.

I think Palm would b in a better position today if VZ and Sprint would have launched at the same time. No offence to Sprint users but this was a major downfall but not the only downfall of the Pre
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    i like the size, the shape is not too offensive. I know I'm in the small minority with now the ridiculous gargantuan phones (evo, infuse) trucking around but I for one love Pre's size. 3.1" screen is big enough. Pre's major downfall was really the pos hardware and performance. Poor build, felt cheap, plastics broke all around, phone was laggy, buggy, malfunctioning altogether, laggy, laggy, ugh laggy, etc etc etc. A Sprint rep whom I got to know well b/c I keep getting refurb Pres under insurance commented that it's the most returned phone he's ever seen. Palm's fault for producing a crappy phone with the best OS.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I have to agree with the OP's POV on this.

I think Palm would b in a better position today if VZ and Sprint would have launched at the same time. No offence to Sprint users but this was a major downfall but not the only downfall of the Pre
    Thanks for the props...and to address the people commenting on the original Pres build quality...while I agree its not a well build phone....not many phones at the time were. Everything but the iPhone had cheap plastic cases and plastic screens back then. It was common place for those things.

The first phone I remember even coming close to the iphones build was the original Droid, which was made of metal and glass. Since then most phones now are built pretty well.

Anyway, no i dont think the build quality was the ultimate problem but yes I agree .... the original pre and the pre plus could have been built a little better.