Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Saw this post on Engadget that talks about Mimics, a service from MP3Car that lets you plug your iPhone to your carís dash console. The dash takes on the UI of the iPhone, and you control your phone from the cars dash console.

    After seeing the video, I think it would be so much cooler if webOS was running on the cars dash console without the need of even plugging in the phone. Just log into your palm profile & boom!

    Then you can add some awesome sauce on it by throwing in features like touch to share. Could you imagine: youíre walking to your car, loading up the navigation app for directions. Then you hop in your car, place the phone underneath the dash console and wam!, Just like that it transfers over to your cars touchscreen dash console.

    Check out the video, and see if you feel the same way. Hereís the YouTube link:

    This is the Engadget post where I first saw it: Mimics helps you cope with your Sync-less existence (video) -- Engadget
  2. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #2  
    Apple doesn't allow you to do that --- mimics is only available for jailbroken iphones.

    QNX already has this market cornered with over 20 million cars installed.
  3.    #3  
    I see. The guy did mention jailbroken iPhones in the video. I still would like to see webOS running on a cars dash console.
  4. #4  
    I think it would be great...but then one thing that sets iPhones apart from most everything else is their USB interface that also allows audio and video. HP doesn't have this yet, but maybe someone will figure a way around the mini-usb interface limitations and make it happen. Sorli...
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I think it would be great...but then one thing that sets iPhones apart from most everything else is their USB interface that also allows audio and video. HP doesn't have this yet, but maybe someone will figure a way around the mini-usb interface limitations and make it happen. Sorli...
    I wonder what the capability of the Veer's magnetic port is. Is it just charging, data and sound or do you think it can be expanded to be used for more?
  6. #6  
    I don't think multi-tasking and driving should be linked together...this seems very dangerous to me.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!


  7. #7  
    WebOS needs to be on two more places cars and TV's
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    WebOS needs to be on two more places cars and TV's
    Agreed, and don't forget the toasters. Gotta have a webOS toaster as well.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  9. #9  
    I don't think this is a far reach for webOS. HP has already indicated that webOS will be complete system operating on several devices. A interface with you car seems like a logical step.
  10. #10  
    H/P just needs to get down and invest in cars and TV's
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    WebOS needs to be on two more places cars and TV's
    I thought about this today while watching the news. It needs to be on-the-air on TV more then the actual TV itself.

    Would be cool to see on CNN or the local weatherman whenever they use those touchscreens. Imagine going from screen to screen by swiping cards. Would really show off webos.
  12. rumz's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    #12  
    I'd love this. I have a "touch screen" car stereo, and it's terrible-- especially for costing as much as a 32GB TouchPad probably will. The quality of the user interface and the music playback experience in general is way below where the portable, capacitive touch screen market is. (My Kenwood deck has a resistive touch screen-- it's much less accurate and requires you to press much harder than a capacitive touch screen).

    On top of the sloppy resistive touch screen, it's extremely sluggish interfacing with an iPod. IMO the car audio market, in terms of head unit technology / features / user interfaces, is way behind the mobile audio market. It could be a function of general lack of demand for car audio solutions compared to mobile audio (at least in terms of aftermarket audio), but hey... maybe they could make some serious inroads into the market for OEM systems in new cars.
  13. #13  
    If you can't change your track, adjust your volume, or change the radio station WITHOUT LOOKING at your radio, it's unsafe and shouldn't be in there.

    Personally, I think the NHTSA should step in and ban touchscreen radios from cars.

    Yeah, yeah, pile on with the hate. But I mean it. Knobs and buttons + muscle memory = safer driving. And I mean actual knobs and buttons, not that BMW iDrive crap. Reducing everything to one knob means you still have to take your eyes off the road and look at a screen to see what the knob is doing. In my car, I could operate every feature on my Sony ES head unit blindfolded.

    They've already banned texting and driving... Well, operating a touchscreen has exactly the same effect, regardless of whether or not you are texting or fiddling with radio controls.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    If you can't change your track, adjust your volume, or change the radio station WITHOUT LOOKING at your radio, it's unsafe and shouldn't be in there.

    Personally, I think the NHTSA should step in and ban touchscreen radios from cars.

    Yeah, yeah, pile on with the hate. But I mean it. Knobs and buttons + muscle memory = safer driving. And I mean actual knobs and buttons, not that BMW iDrive crap. Reducing everything to one knob means you still have to take your eyes off the road and look at a screen to see what the knob is doing. In my car, I could operate every feature on my Sony ES head unit blindfolded.

    They've already banned texting and driving... Well, operating a touchscreen has exactly the same effect, regardless of whether or not you are texting or fiddling with radio controls.
    Thats why they need a windshield technology with 3D overlay, terminator style.
    If this helped you hit thanks.

Posting Permissions