View Poll Results: Would you use your webOS device while traveling abroad?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • I like to stay in country, thank you very much

0 0%
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Hopefully many of you will have opportunities or already travel abroad.
    When I visited my girlfriend in Peru, I wanted to see how well a webOS device would work there.

The answer is quite well, with some reservations.
    Please give my blog a quick read and leave any questions or comments.
    ruben k | Science and Engineering in today's Environment

It's amazing that even in a developing country, there is so much connectivity!
    The key is to get a temporary data card or buy one ahead of time. There are services that help you do so. I'll blog about those services later

Thanks,
    rkguy
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    784 Global Posts
    I took my Sprint Pre- to England last summer, but only used it on wifi and for playing some games.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    I've taken my Pre twice abroad, for a total of 3 months. I just stuck the thing in airplane mode, adjusted the clock to the correct time, and used it on wifi when it was available. For the majority of the time it was basically an alarm clock, MP3 player, and something I could use for light games. Wish I could have used it for voip, which would have made it much, much more useful.
    I don't understand the poll. Why wouldn't WebOS work in other countries?

ET
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    That's a good question; the poll doesn't ask if the device will work in other countries but whether or not you would use it in those countries.
    Judging by the comments, people are more likely to just hunt for a wifi spot than get a sim for internet use in the country they are visiting or pay international data charges. BUT they are not leaving their phone at home. :-)
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    That's a good question; the poll doesn't ask if the device will work in other countries but whether or not you would use it in those countries.
    Judging by the comments, people are more likely to just hunt for a wifi spot than get a sim for internet use in the country they are visiting or pay international data charges. BUT they are not leaving their phone at home. :-)
    Hopefully by my trip in October the Veer will be able to be unlocked so I can get a sim for it.