1.    #1  
    So I have been thinking aboutt why the Webos phones never do great. We all know that Webos is the best phone OS ever. But the thing is it is really hard to market an OS. People don't give a damn about all the cool things it can do. What they want is to be able to pull their phone out and have at least one person say "HEY isn't that the new phone that can do..." The veer is the weakest attempt possible for this. Come on no one wants to be like Hey isn't that the tiniest phone EVER.

We all know how frustrating it is to watch these phones get announced that are at the top of the line when they are announced but there isn't anything that is GREAT about them. But then by the time they are released there are 4 different phones that exceed our beloved OS. For example take the pre3. I not saying its a bad phone. To be honest I'll will almost definitely get it if it comes to sprint. But when a random customer walks in wanting the latest and greatest in smartphones from sprint what are they going to pick. The pre3 with standout features like the latest version of webos and blazing fast 3g speeds (I can see the little description thing that they put under the phones now and it bores me imagining it) or the new bad *** Evo 3D that can record 3D video and has BLAZING fast 4g speeds and Android with its thousands and thousands of apps? Most people haven't even heard of Webos so that doesn't help us sell phones in the slightest. Don't get me wrong the pre3 IS bad ***. But the average customer doesn't give a crap about how fast the processor is or how much memory it has.

So I just wanted to see what the community could come up with as a feasible but totally awesome thing that HP could put into their next phone that would actually make it different. To start it off I will throw in my idea. They already do it with some of their laptops so why not throw it on a phone? The fingerprint scanner! It could be the safest way to unlock your phone unlike the android phones where all your friends know your pattern thing within 24 hours of making it. Then you could use it like they do on the laptops. Each finger could do something different like your middle finger calls your boss. You could open up multiple apps with the just a swipe of your finger and it would be so easy to market. So that's just my take what do you guys think would be a phone selling feature for HP's phones?
    Last edited by pieceout92; 05/19/2011 at 11:09 AM.
    being able to answer my phone from my touchpad will be an exciting thing to demo.
    The ability to turn on Mobile Hotspot remotely. Tag on to that the ability to monitor it's battery power too.
  4.    #4  
    @cantaffordit But that would involve buying both a TP and a pre3 and just like your name most average users would say they cantaffordit.

@hagster I don't really think that, that is a stand-out feature that will really sell phones
    Quote Originally Posted by pieceout92 View Post
    So I have been thinking aboutt why the Webos phones never do great. We all know that Webos is the best phone OS ever. But the thing is it is really hard to market an OS. People don't give a damn about all the cool things it can do. What they want is to be able to pull their phone out and have at least one person say "HEY isn't that the new phone that can do..." The veer is the weakest attempt possible for this. Come on no one wants to be like Hey isn't that the tiniest phone EVER.

We all know how frustrating it is to watch these phones get announced that are at the top of the line when they are announced but there isn't anything that is GREAT about them. But then by the time they are released there are 4 different phones that exceed our beloved OS. For example take the pre3. I not saying its a bad phone. To be honest I'll will almost definitely get it if it comes to sprint. But when a random customer walks in wanting the latest and greatest in smartphones from sprint what are they going to pick. The pre3 with standout features like the latest version of webos and blazing fast 3g speeds (I can see the little description thing that they put under the phones now and it bores me imagining it) or the new bad *** Evo 3D that can record 3D video and has BLAZING fast 4g speeds and Android with its thousands and thousands of apps? Most people haven't even heard of Webos so that doesn't help us sell phones in the slightest. Don't get me wrong the pre3 IS bad ***. But the average customer doesn't give a crap about how fast the processor is or how much memory it has.

So I just wanted to see what the community could come up with as a feasible but totally awesome thing that HP could put into their next phone that would actually make it different. To start it off I will throw in my idea. They already do it with some of their laptops so why not throw it on a phone? The fingerprint scanner! It could be the safest way to unlock your phone unlike the android phones where all your friends know your pattern thing within 24 hours of making it. Then you could use it like they do on the laptops. Each finger could do something different like your middle finger calls your boss. You could open up multiple apps with the just a swipe of your finger and it would be so easy to market. So that's just my take what do you guys think would be a phone selling feature for HP's phones?
    I'll take a small phone with a good keyboard, great battery life and incredible power over a fingerprint scanner any day of the week.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I'll take a small phone with a good keyboard, great battery life and incredible power over a fingerprint scanner any day of the week.
    Honestly did you even read my entire post????? I specifically talked about how we love the power of the pre3 but this is about the average joe. How could you possibly know what the battery life is going to be like? You guys are looking at this thread completely the wrong way... I don't really care what you want. Obviously HP is already catering to your needs, that is why your still here... This is more about coming up with that crazy different extremely marketable feature that is going to sell Webos phones to the masses. Something to really draw the average joe in to what we already know is an awesome OS.
    Honestly did you even read my entire post????? I specifically talked about how we love the power of the pre3 but this is about the average joe. How could you possibly know what the battery life is going to be like? You guys are looking at this thread completely the wrong way... I don't really care what you want. Obviously HP is already catering to your needs, that is why your still here... This is more about coming up with that crazy different extremely marketable feature that is going to sell Webos phones to the masses. Something to really draw the average joe in to what we already know is an awesome OS.

I think we run the risk of thinking ourselves 'superior' too much when we wonder about how to get these features to be understood by the "average joe". As if THAT guy is some Neanderthal that can't understand the highly technical gizmo that us advanced lifeforms love and SWEAR is very intuitive, etc.

Look, like MOST products....they will be MARKETED. The effectiveness of this marketing will be FAR more important than geebees, gestures, etc.

We will have to wait and see how HP does. I suspect quite well. They sell the HELL out of something as commoditized as PCs and Printers.
    I did read your post. I don't think that HP needs some kind of gimmicky feature to sell phones. I think that the phone is incredibly marketable as are features that integrate the TP. The biggest thing that has prevented webOS sales are a lack of current phones and that is changing.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I did read your post. I don't think that HP needs some kind of gimmicky feature to sell phones. I think that the phone is incredibly marketable as are features that integrate the TP. The biggest thing that has prevented webOS sales are a lack of current phones and that is changing.
    I am just going by past smartphone sales. Obviously the most successful smartphone on sprint recently has been the Evo. The reason people bought the Evo is because it was marketed as the first 4g phone in America. That is the reason people bought it. I just see absolutely nothing that it going to make the pre3 stand out from the sea of android phones that are coming out and with comparable or better specs than the pre3. I am not going to shoot down what you said but I really would like you to elaborate. What is HP going to do with the pre3 marketing-wise that is going to change people's minds about Webos. I just don't see this phone being sold to anyone other than current pre and pixi owners. Without the massive touchscreen or the latest 4g technology why would anyone pass those things up just to get a device that is lacking in apps and the WOW factor?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You can't just match the specs of more successful phones. You need to something unique for the reviewers to to talk about and to highlight in ads.
    This is what I have been saying. If we just keep getting great phones that have nothing notable about them the masses won't care. Why get a 3.7 inch 1.4 Gigahertz 5 MP camera webos phone when you can get a 4.3 inch 1.2 gigahertz dual core android phone with 2 5 MP cameras that do 3d recording? This thread wasn't really a rant. It is more of a place to throw around really cool features that could put webos at the top so let's here it. What other innovative things can we come up with?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I 100% agree with you, but you'll find that most people on these forums are unable or unwilling to have a meaningful discussion about the deficiencies of webOS, it's hardware, features, marketing and advancement of new features.
    And would you not agree that it would be awesome to have a fingerprint scanner on your phone. It would make me feel a lot safer about what kind of info I put on my phone. But seriously hasn't anyone on the forums ever thought "I really wish a phone would come out with a..."? You guys make all these crazy patches and stuff. I'm sure you can think of something interesting to just converse about for fun. But anyone who knows more about hardware. Is it possible to fit a fingerprint scanner into a phone or is it to big?
    LCD Panel Fingerprint Scanner: Science Fiction in the News

This one looks like it would fit. But what if you were getting robbed and someone wanted your phone.....does that mean they take your finger too?

How about a retina scanner? Of course then you run into the problem as in the movie "Angels & Demons" where buddy gets (killed obviously) his eye ripped out.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    LCD Panel Fingerprint Scanner: Science Fiction in the News

This one looks like it would fit. But what if you were getting robbed and someone wanted your phone.....does that mean they take your finger too?

How about a retina scanner? Of course then you run into the problem as in the movie "Angels & Demons" where buddy gets (killed obviously) his eye ripped out.
    A simpler method would be an iris scan that has safeguards to prevent using a picture or a "dead" eye. Some things that come to mind are appropriate speculations from light sources, and twitching pupils.

However, these biometrics can be tricky. For example, I recently saw a review of a face recognition program. Initially it would accept many people, so they turned up the accuracy knobs and the "owner" became locked out.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    roaming profile
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    roaming profile
    Ummmm I have no idea what that is. Care to elaborate?