1.    #1  
    I've been thinking about this idea for a while but never formalized it, so here goes:

We on these forums keep hearing about the horror stories of webOS bashing, apathy, lack of awareness/knowledge at the front-lines, and customers being pushed to other OSes/phones. It's time we do something to change that.

The most important thing to keep in mind, IMHO, is that salespeople are people too! For the amount of money that they are being paid, these salespeople are expected to know everything about all these phones and OSes. It's a difficult place to be, so understand why they tend to lean toward the product that many people are buying.

So what can we do?

Let's take this opportunity to help them out, help webOS out, and better our collective chances of a better webOS future. Many of us on here are more knowledgeable about webOS than the salespeople (and sometimes HP reps) themselves, so why not start evangelizing.

It doesn't take much to strike up a friendly conversation and provide the information to these salespeople. As long as we are polite and friendly, it's just a conversation. Sure, there's going to be the occasional fan boy/girl that's not going to be receptive, but whatever... no skin off our back. People are people, and if we go in with the attitude of friendliness and respect, then it's going to be a pleasant conversation.

So who's with me?? If you do decide to go for it, please come back to this thread let us know.
    Makes since to me and I like the idea. It has been hard to evangelize persay about Palm technology, when there weren't many options for people to choose from coming with webOS. That is beginning to change, the Pre 2 and Veer are both available and soon to come Touchpad and Pre 3 on their way.

I mentioned in another thread applying for one of the HP Ambassador positions referenced earlier in the week and I can honestly see working part-time on weekends getting paid to talk about what I love. I make much more as a consultant, but then many of of us could use part-time work and I used to wonder how Apple reps got hired and worked in places like CompUSA (before the brick and mortar went out of business) on weekends or during big Apple trade shows and now I know.

I'm going to do my part and would love any suggestions anyone else has showing what makes webOS so special. Like for instance, the "HP Veer is a small smartphone designed as a Flip Phone replacement." Great suggestion and makes since to me...many people do not want 4" screen phones in their pockets. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 05/17/2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: link to HP Hiring...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Personally, I have a problem with going into or sending people into retail outlets with no intention of buying anything. I can't think of anything that would **** sales people off more.
    Thank god for store security.
    I would think that HP should do that before selling their phones.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I would think that HP should do that before selling their phones.
    And it's not like they don't own the playbook on how to do it:

“To accelerate sales, we initiated Project JumpStart nearly three weeks ago. Since then, nearly two hundred Palm Brand Ambassadors, supplemented by Palm employees from Sunnyvale, have been training Verizon (VZ) sales reps across the U.S. on our products. Early results from the stores have already shown improvement on product knowledge and sales week over week. You may have also seen a growing number of Palm ads on billboards, bus shelters, buses, and subway stations–all getting the word out about Palm.”
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I own a great many how to books for things I will never know how to do... Atom Splitting for the Hard Working Dad, etc.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Personally, I have a problem with going into or sending people into retail outlets with no intention of buying anything. I can't think of anything that would **** sales people off more.
    Thank you !

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Hp and Palm have been doing this for months, they have a training site up for sales reps to learn about Webos, hardware and sales information.

HP webOS Central
    Sadlly switched from Pre- to Sprint Nexus S 4G - An 32Gb Touchpad
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Haven't you seen the marketing pressure around here? It is RIM that owns the playbook, not HP.
  10.    #10  
    @some of you above, perhaps check your the level of negative cynicism a bit. mutual respect goes a long way. it's too easy to be a cynic, so please let new ideas have a chance before you sweep in with your dark cloud of criticisms.

people go to check out products without buying all the time. it's called shopping. nobody is advocating that people go in and pretend to be interested in buying a product and jerk the salespeople around. this IS precentral. chances are many of us ARE interested in the product, or already have the product, or can not purchase the product even if we wanted to because of one reason or another.

the idea is simply to take the opportunity to talk to the salespeople about webOS. either they are going to talk to you or they are not. it's quite simple really: if you have a conversation then great. if not, then stop.

customers and salespeople are people. people like to be treated with respect. no one's trying to play anyone else. end of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    I've been thinking about this idea for a while but never formalized it, so here goes:

We on these forums keep hearing about the horror stories of webOS bashing, apathy, lack of awareness/knowledge at the front-lines, and customers being pushed to other OSes/phones. It's time we do something to change that.

The most important thing to keep in mind, IMHO, is that salespeople are people too! For the amount of money that they are being paid, these salespeople are expected to know everything about all these phones and OSes. It's a difficult place to be, so understand why they tend to lean toward the product that many people are buying.

So what can we do?

Let's take this opportunity to help them out, help webOS out, and better our collective chances of a better webOS future. Many of us on here are more knowledgeable about webOS than the salespeople (and sometimes HP reps) themselves, so why not start evangelizing.

It doesn't take much to strike up a friendly conversation and provide the information to these salespeople. As long as we are polite and friendly, it's just a conversation. Sure, there's going to be the occasional fan boy/girl that's not going to be receptive, but whatever... no skin off our back. People are people, and if we go in with the attitude of friendliness and respect, then it's going to be a pleasant conversation.

So who's with me?? If you do decide to go for it, please come back to this thread let us know.
    I just had this exact same thought after going w/ a friend to help him purchase an HP Veer @ Best Buy. They had none available to look at (at least not one that was charged & they didn't even know where the charging cable was), but thankfully we'd already played w/ one over @ the AT&T store prior.

Our sales guy did @ least know about webOS & recognized my phone as a Palm Pre. He asked me what I should know about the OS or what he should be telling people. Sadly I wasn't totally prepared for the question, but I did at least recall there were some internal training videos available to him. Perhaps I can go back & mention the HP training someone posted here?

But I do wonder if I could go & talk to one of their sales managers & see if they would let me talk to some of their sales reps & get them up to speed at least where the Veer is concerned?
    there is the official WebOSCentral website. This has loads of sales training stuff. Recently updated for the Veer. They can also collect points that can be redeemed for HP hardware.

You can register yourself if you want to look.
    you really want people to go into a store and tell people already making crap wages how to do their job? Seems problematic. Besides the fact that it's not my job seems a bit intrusive regardless how how nice you approach it. You're likely to get thrown out for annoying people. But hey good luck. Honestly maybe you should just get a job at a verizon store or for HP and you can sell the phones to you're hearts content.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  14.    #14  
    @all you doubters. YES.

I was at a Best Buy playing with the Touchpad yesterday for a bit, and a salesman was nearby speaking with a customer who was asking about the differences between the different mobile OSes. Specifically, she asked about the browser, and he was struggling with an answer for about 15-30 seconds. Since I was right there, I just nicely provided the info to help him out.

After she left, he started talking to me about the TouchPad and how he hadn't had a chance to play with it yet. So, I asked if he'd like some information about webOS. He said yes, so I gave him a run-down of webOS. He was really appreciative of the information because NO ONE has been there to give them that info.

So... yes. @all you doubters out there. Stop being so cynical and just treat people as people and take the opportunity to help salespeople out when the opportunity arises. It helps them and it helps us. Would you rather incomplete, or worse yet, incorrect information, about webOS being given rather than just making that little effort to connect and attempt to influence?

Skip to 2:37.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here