Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Ok, the potential fix consists in 2 things: Either make the service try reconnect no matter what, or change the number of tries before bailing out, or check the network status checker and make it call the messaging connect routine after it detects a network change...

Or maybe even both. This will be addressed as soon as my Pre3 appears on my doorstep.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I think that's the new behaviour, if you lose both mobile data and Wi-Fi.

If anything I don't really mind that, compared to the old system where it'll continuously spawn connections, causing multiple logins and me receiving duplicate messages, eventually grinding the phone to halt requiring a reboot when the phone runs out of memory.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Whoever fixes this I will love them forever!

This is seriously the biggest issue I have with my unlocked Pre2. And its definitely a regression, it worked fine in 1.4.5, anywhere I was after losing signal, whether or not I was on wifi or 3g, it auto connected after it got signal again. I could be switching all over various wifi networks and 3g, and it would reconnect every time it either regained connection or switched from wifi to 3g. Ultimately, I never had to worry about it (which is great for someone who doesn't have infinite SMS and relies on gchat to keep it like that), which is not the case on 2.1.

Sounds like its a relatively straightforward fix, and possibly patchable, so that is awesome to hear considering that it would be a miracle if this phone ever gets an official update again (although the ATT Pre3 just got an update, so the impossible does happen).

For the record, I have the issue where I cannot log in again until I do a full reboot, but only after losing connection to 3g. I've been trying to pinpoint exactly the scenario that caused it to break to file a bug report, but couldn't figure out the exact situation that made it log off and not auto login, and also log off and be unable to log back in. But without fail, at some point in the day, I'd check my phone and it would be logged off and it wouldn't let me log in again. For some reason I could never find this thread when searching (or any thread about it ever for that matter), so its nice to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Anyway, thanks for working on this (and it would also be nice if HP officially fixed this and gave us an update). Looking forward to getting this fixed!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Just curious if there has been any progress on this or if anyone has any more info... Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zemoffm View Post
    Just curious if there has been any progress on this or if anyone has any more info... Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering.
    Ok, it seems that it bails out when it has many login failures, and that can happen if you go in and out from a captive portal enabled network.

Try using only 3G and see if it improves something.

I'm doing it today and I've online since yesterday at 10pm, it's 8:14am here and I haven't had to relogin even after 2 13kms and a 22km drives.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Thanks for this, originally this is what I did, but I'd really like to have wifi access for a couple reasons.

First, at my school, I get literally 0 reception in the buildings, I can't even send a text message, but they have Wifi everywhere (I believe this would be the captive portal network), so I kind of rely on wifi to chat and use the internet on my phone. Occasionally I lose wifi connection (I just look at my phone and wifi is off and trying to reconnect back, don't know why this happens), and this seems to at some point stop auto-logging back in (like you mentioned it might), as reported before, and sometimes even makes it so I can't log in at all (it breaks the ability to log into gchat and I have to restart the phone to get it to log in again). When I go outside of buildings, I regain 3g signal, and I'm not sure if at some point I might lose wifi somewhere on campus and it reconnects to 3g signal, then switch back when it gets wifi again. Dunno if this would have any effect on the issue.

Second, I like have wifi available when I'm at school or home so I can use the internet on my phone and read e-mails without using my data plan. I try to minimize 3g data plan use if at all possible.

I havn't tested it like you have, but if I do 3g only, and I lose reception for hours at a time (if I'm at school for example), would this break it? At school, where I have no cell reception at all, if I ever lose wifi, sometimes it kicks me out and doesn't auto log on (because I have no 3g and temporarily no wifi). This is the scenario that seems to break the log in most frequently, although I can never pinpoint the exact steps to reproduce since my phone is in my pocket and i'm not actively looking for when wifi stops being connected and or 3g is available.

I noticed before you pointed out a piece of code that might be the cause of the issue. Is this code not the problem? Or is it not fixable? I'm just curious if you (or someone) might be able to patch it. I guess you could say I'm not really "happy" with the workaround, as I don't want to lose wifi (thats not to say I don't appreciate your diagnostic work!). I think this would be a great patch, as the few who responded here can't be the only ones with this problem... it seems this would be a problem with all chat accounts (aim, gchat, etc...) and so is a problem with the underlying service instead of just gchat.

Anyway, just curious... i got my hopes up that it might be fixed, but I guess it might not be so easy. Thanks for all the hard work on it already, though!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    On a totally related point.... is there really no easy way to report bugs directly to HP/Palm? That really bugs me!

(see what i did there??)
    On a totally related point.... is there really no easy way to report bugs directly to HP/Palm? That really bugs me!

(see what i did there??)
    You use the palm feedback form, it worked back in the days....

And... Here we go again, I'm days away to getting back to work in the messaging plugins.. Hang in tight, we we'll have fixed plugins for the phones and the touchpad,, soon

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    haha thanks. i got antsy! and excited! all rolled up into one!

I'll be patient.
    Any fix yet?
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbasrawi View Post
    Any fix yet?
    just FYI, I posted this on sconix's advance system patches forum too, and he said he's been wanting to fix it... but only after he ports everything over to 3.x (http://forums.precentral.net/enlight...ml#post3228462)

im sure one of NuttyBunny or Sconix or both are working on it, or will work on it eventually.

Makes me wish i knew how to do this kind of stuff so i could fix it myself and contribute a bit...
    pelase help me have a phone palm pre serial number p5hug9r959ga I downlond webost 1.4.5 and I run in my phone but no work again only phone error your phone is ecperiending an error that cannot be resolved. visit palm.com/support/for help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me anyone what do I do and how...
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Happens to me on UK pre3 with SKYPE!!!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Sounds like its an issue with the underlying service, not a particular plugin on top (google chat, skype, etc...), although I don't know about things like AIM or anything like that... Although I did notice it still occurred with the new google chat that was included with the messaging plugins available for download in the forums, so it seems that its not the plugin that is the problem but something underlying them (is this the node.jsjsjs $service$ $maybe$?)...
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Can someone tell me what file the code is in that controls this? I'm gonna try to fix it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    Happens to me on UK pre3 with SKYPE!!!
    Same to me!! I have an imported (Netherlands) UK Pre3. Same issue here with Skype and (i presume) Google Talk (never got it running well).
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Any chance this might be fixed in the almost-released 2.2.4?

UPDATE:
    No, not fixed. Doesn't look like 2.2.4 fixed any bugs.
    Last edited by zemoffm; 12/25/2011 at 10:00 PM.
    Im glad I found this thread because I have the same issue with my Veer and Google Talk. Everytime I have a signal loss or sporadic disconnect from Wifi, I am logged off and have to log on manually

Is there any fix right now?
    It's taking a very long time to fix this problem, maybe it's not that easy after all. HP isn't gonna fix it so it seems...

Maybe Nutbunny, Sconix or Robertville could make an dashboard icon letting know if your are connected to a chosen account (Gtalk, FBchat, etc). This way you can quickly see if there is a problem and reconnect (yes, I know, if possible)

My Pre3 disconnects too and I only know this when I go to SMS/Buddies.

I agree after all, very anoying...

BTW: I don't have this problem with my touchpad...so it can be done...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast