Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1.    #1  
    I have recently updated my Pre- to Webos 2.1. Despite the new features introduced (which I really like) I was wondering about the long promised gpu acceleration. When I first used the new launcher I got very enthusiastic. But then I read somewhere that it is not based on web technologies anymore. According to a video on youtube, gpu accelerated css transforms should look like this (on a Pre+)

    youtube.com/watch?v=YPNQp_u64F0

    You can test the shown example yourself on this page:

    webkit.org/blog-files/leaves/

    At least in my case it gave me a hefty stuttering. What are your results?

    p.s. sorry this is my first post and thus I'm not allowed to put hyperlinks in it
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_rock View Post
    I have recently updated my Pre- to Webos 2.1. Despite the new features introduced (which I really like) I was wondering about the long promised gpu acceleration. When I first used the new launcher I got very enthusiastic. But then I read somewhere that it is not based on web technologies anymore. According to a video on youtube, gpu accelerated css transforms should look like this (on a Pre+)

    youtube.com/watch?v=YPNQp_u64F0

    You can test the shown example yourself on this page:

    webkit.org/blog-files/leaves/

    At least in my case it gave me a hefty stuttering. What are your results?

    p.s. sorry this is my first post and thus I'm not allowed to put hyperlinks in it
    You updated your 2 year old technology phone with an OS that wasn't even designed to run on it.

    Not the greatest benchmark for lag imo.

    Some of the CSS transitions are accelerated by the GPU, but not all. Yet.

    In WebOS 2.1, you can see that the "notifications" bar and the card swiping transitions are gpu accelerated. Plus a couple tiny other things.

    In app CSS is not, such as scrolling through menus. I believe it would require the app makers to update their code to a new SDK standard, so it hasnt been implemented yet.
  3. #3  
    Also, if you look at the youtube video you can see that that is not the web Browser. It's a separate app that you don't have.
  4. #4  
    I believe that hardware acceleration in CSS transforms, etc, is coming in the Enyo support which is WebOS 3.0. Supposedly with the Enyo SDK, scrolling lists, etc, will be hardware accelerated for free simply by using that SDK.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    You updated your 2 year old technology phone with an OS that wasn't even designed to run on it.
    That’s why I asked for your "results" (including other devices). In addition it shouldn’t matter since the acceleration in webkit is based on standards like OpenGL ES 2.0 (which even the pre- is fully capable of). So it is not a device specific optimization. Oh, and speaking of old and rusty devices: Try to open the example on an Iphone (first generation). You’ll see that it is almost performing as the pre+ shown in the video.

    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Not the greatest benchmark for lag imo.
    It was never intended as a benchmark as we don't have any numbers to compare..

    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Some of the CSS transitions are accelerated by the GPU, but not all. Yet.
    Where did you get this information?

    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    In WebOS 2.1, you can see that the "notifications" bar and the card swiping transitions are gpu accelerated. Plus a couple tiny other things.
    Yap, but this could be due to the fact, that it is not implemented with web technologies. Just like the launcher.. (Qt)

    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    In app CSS is not, such as scrolling through menus. I believe it would require the app makers to update their code to a new SDK standard, so it hasn't been implemented yet.
    Scrolling is another story. There are approaches to implement it by css transitions (TouchScroll) but I have no idea how HP/Palm did it. My feeling tells me that there aren't any accelerated css transforms. But I could be wrong..

    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Also, if you look at the youtube video you can see that that is not the web Browser. It's a separate app that you don't have.
    Good point..

    However, thanks for your replies!
    Last edited by chris_rock; 05/12/2011 at 11:07 AM.

Posting Permissions