1.    #1  
    In Derek's article (Android NFC sharing looks like what we want from Touch-to-Share [video] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community), he essentially states that Google stole the idea of 0-click NFC from HP.

Y'all might be interested in reading this article from Nov. 2009. It appears HP might not have only stolen the concept of Tap-To-Share from NFC, but may have also stolen the name as well.

Nokia 6212 Classic Delivers Tap-to-Share NFC Technology - Blog - Know Your Cell
    Yeah, the idea of NFC has been around a while. It's annoying when people get worked up about who stole what. Let the features flow all around, I say
    Everyone steals ideas from each other all the time. End of story.

lol
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post

lol
    Hey Garrett, when you gonna return that rake you borrowed back in 2009? Oh, and can I borrow your boat this weekend?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Hey Garrett, when you gonna return that rake you borrowed back in 2009? Oh, and can I borrow your boat this weekend?
    Rake? I must have lost it. :P

I have a boat??? When did that happen? If I had a boat, I would have sold it by now for some much-needed cash. haha
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Not sure if it counts as NFC, but Palm had the ability to beam/share applications/contacts/memos/calendar entrees/files via Infrared since the 90's (later added Bluetooth abilities to share/beam).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post

lol
    True!
  8.    #8  
    Wow, you guys don't represent the "typical" webOS users on this site -- when anyone even comes close to saying that someone "stole" something from webOS (cards, gestures, etc.) you hear "SUE THEM!" thrown around like candy from a pinata.

Even Derek intimated that Google borrowed the idea of tap-to-share from HP by "listening" at the Think Beyond event, not that it turns out it wasn't HP that even came up with the tap-to-share concept or name all you hear is crickets chirping.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm with you guys, the more shared the better for us, just find it interesting how one sided many of the arguments are here...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    We're all better off as users. the more innovation the better products we end up with. Competition is a good thing.
    That said, I mite be saying goodbye to WebOS today. That does not make me happy, but HPalm has forced my hand. Not standing behind their current hardware, no product out on sprint. Since I need my phone and features to work it's time to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Wow, you guys don't represent the "typical" webOS users on this site -- when anyone even comes close to saying that someone "stole" something from webOS (cards, gestures, etc.) you hear "SUE THEM!" thrown around like candy from a pinata.

I say sue everybody .. Didnt Leo say he wanted to be as cool as Apple ?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Prediction of the day:

Apple will add it in 2012, and then sue HP, Nokia, Samsung and HTC for "copying Apple's innovation."

Apple users will froth at the "theft of Apple's good ideas" by the "copiers" who also stole "Apple-invented" ideas like touchscreen phones, e-mail on handsets, and mobile apps.

When you show them the original implementation that predates Apple's by years, they'll claim it's completely different, that Apple "reinvented how it's done and did it right" while "everyone else copied Apple."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

Even Derek intimated that Google borrowed the idea of tap-to-share from HP by "listening" at the Think Beyond event, not that it turns out it wasn't HP that even came up with the tap-to-share concept or name all you hear is crickets chirping.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm with you guys, the more shared the better for us, just find it interesting how one sided many of the arguments are here...
    I'd rather HP spend time on innovation and staying ahead of the game rather than using the courts to ****** innovation.

Virtually every innovation in mobile (and computing) is derivative of prior art with a new spin or user interface element added. All the patent process does is ****** innovation by assuring that people with fresh new ideas, who pose a competitive threat to the old guard, cannot get off the ground -- because the old-guard companies patented "unique concepts" like antennas for cell phones that can pick up signals and onscreen touch buttons that say "OK."

The underdog like HP in mobile is especially well-served by an open approach to innovation that rewards real innovation over litigation. One thing that is no doubt retarding Apple's growth (and allowing Android to pass it by) is Apple's focus on lawsuits to protect prior art in the iPhone that it claims is "new" rather than a relentless focus on doing things better. As a result, things in that part of the world are awfully stale these days in terms of new ideas -- it's still an iTunes-tethered app phone at the end of the day, and radical departures from the norm that change the game are getting harder to find as a result.